How is the life in Trinidad for Europeans?

Hello,

I am planning to move to Trinidad by end of this year by first of all I would like to understand little bit more about how Europeans find living in Trinidad and how Trinidanian approach them?

Thanks,
Tereza

Hi Tereza,
First of all, i'd like to welcome you on Expat.com.

I hope that other members will help you in your search.

Regards,
Harmonie.

Hello Tereza,

first of all be aware that Trinidadians are very foxy, which I personally find a positive attribute. Of course they will overcharge you for almost anything, but if you know ahead, you only can smile about that, isn't it?

How you will feel most likely depends to which area in Trinidad you are going to move and if you come alone or with a partner. In general Trinidadians welcome Europeans. But most Britons I met prefer to stay in Tobago as it is more quiet there. Tobago shows a more relaxed atmosphere and has several flights a day to Trinidad in case someone needs to be there urgently.

Regards
bestshot

Hello,

Thanks for your respond.
I am actually going to my boyfriend who lives in San Fernando at the moment. He is from Trinidad and tells me about it a lot but I wanted to her some 'european' opinion.
Would be difficult to find a job as a european?
So how long have you been living in Trinidad?

Thanks,
Tereza

As a Trinidadian I can assure you that you will have no problem loving the Country.  However, I have to admit that crime is a problem here but foreigners are usually quite safe.  Still you have to be aware of your surroundings and where you live.  Your boyfriend is a Trini so he would understand.  San Fernando is where I grew up and most of my family still reside.  Most of the foreigners I know (I worked with many expats) have to be "sent home" at the end of their contracts.  They are always fighting to remain.  For you the cost of living is a breeze (PS10- TT$1).  Trinidadians are a cool people.  Driving habits are just as bad as the UK but the driving laws are lax.  Everytime I visit the UK I have a deeper appreciation for TT.  No offence.  Enjoy it.  Despite our many shortcomings Trinidad is indeed a paradise.