"Retirement"

Hi

I've reviewed the requirements for the My Dream Home visa and noted that one is not allowed to engage in paid or unpaid employment. As a freelance translator whose work comes almost exclusively from Japan, would this nevertheless be prohibited even though I'm not taking jobs from Sri Lankans and would simply spend money in Sri Lanka that otherwise would be spent elsewhere?

Thanks
Jim

Hello,

"No paid or unpaid employment while staying in Sri Lanka"  This can be interpreted in many ways.
I personally think this term is mostly all about following.

Keep foreigners out of Sri Lankan labor market and organized activism

and not allow them to involve in any kind of direct political engagements or organized activism in any where while staying in SL.

and also not allow them to become tax evaders.   

As long as you can keep your freelance activity to a maximum level of hobby tax category according to the income tax rules of the country you are a citizen of,  you don't break any laws, and hopefully also not the term above since the definitions of the words employment and hobby activity are two different things. 

On the other hand Sri Lankans are flexible people and also respectful to elders by culture, so if they find out your freelance activity as a problem they will inform you not to do it anymore to begin with, since this is only one out of all the terms and conditions and not a law paragraph.

I hope you will have a wonderful retirement in SL.

Hi
You could enjoy your retirement here.Hope you could do some investment in business too with a Srilankan party if you have excess capital. Anyway I will check this in detail. You may contact me later.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct