New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ecuador forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ecuador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi. We are moving to Quito in June with my Job and we are so excited to be joining you all!

We have lots to sort out including where to to live and my husbands job (he's an industry accountant) and would really appreciate any advice you have!

Thanks
Michelle 😊

Hi, I'm Brett and I'm planning to retire in Ecuador in about 1 1/2 years. I'm 66 and work as a RN in Globe, AZ USA. I love the coastal areas and I'm in the Playas area for another week until March 1. Thanks

Hello, My name is Vincent and at the moment finally planning on my 1st visit to Cuenca in early August.  After researching the possiblities of relocating there for several years it time to make a commitment which is the main purpose of my August trip.  As a retired senior is the paperwork, etc. that's required to eventually make the move possible for 1 person such as myself to accomplish?  Is there someone I can contact while I'm there who can assist me in the process for a resonable fee?  Thanks to anyone's advice and assistance and look forward to my trip.

Hi Brettm, Victor here. We live in PHX and also have a house in Playas on the beach down towards the Mall. If looking for more info give me a call when you get back to AZ. Enjoy Playas:-)

Hello everybody!
I have moved to Ecuador very recently and it's been three weeks since I am in Quito.
I am an Iranian National and have been working/ living i. Different countries for the past 13 years.
I am liking it here despite the fact that I can not freely walk out or have a safe and secured travels in a way I had in other countries!

Enjoy Carnival holidays!
Noushin

Hello! My name is Eileen and I am 45 years old, living in Arkansas, USA. My expat retirement is in the early planning stages, as I still have children in school. We are anticipating a 10-15 year time period before we are ready to move. Ecuador is at the top of my list for various reasons, including healthcare, cost of living, climate, etc.

My husband and I plan to make a few travel excursions between now and then to find the right country/location for us. I speak fluent Spanish, my husband does not (yet!). We are trying to determine the best way to save (we are low income) so that we have adequate savings prior to moving and perhaps some form of income generating activity (currently, we resell online, and I am not sure if that will carry well into another country). I am able to work for meager pay writing online as well.

I am excited to explore these forums to learn as much as I can so we make the right decisions for our retirement!

Hello everybody!

I  want to work and live in Ecuador.

I am a Nepali National and have been working/ living in Nepal now.

Enjoy
Parashuram Poudel

I have finished registration this morning, have a Passport that expired 12-16-2013, and need to renew that first.  I am located presently in Pembroke Pines, FL and am looking to go to either Ecuador or Panama (per recommendation of a seasoned International Traveling friend).  Plan on accomplishing this in the next 60 days for permanent stay.

I can use all the help and advice you can give.

Lionheart23031 wrote:

I have finished registration this morning, have a Passport that expired 12-16-2013, and need to renew that first.  I am located presently in Pembroke Pines, FL and am looking to go to either Ecuador or Panama (per recommendation of a seasoned International Traveling friend).  Plan on accomplishing this in the next 60 days for permanent stay.

I can use all the help and advice you can give.

Perhaps start a new thread asking this question as this is just for new member introductions.  I have a whole list.
BTW, Curious why you have chosen Panama and Ecuador. Asia and parts of Europe can also be quite reasonable cost wise, unless you already can speak Spanish. Plus there is Colombia and Peru just next door which are also quite interesting and reasonably priced.

Hello expatriates!

My name is Noushin and I am from Iran.
Arrived in Ecuado last month. Would love to meet new people and make new friendships!

I speak English, Farsi, Turkish, fair undrstanding of Hindi. Basic knowledge of Spanish.

I am definitely up for any language exchange as I need to learn Spanish which enables me to pick up jobs!

I hope to hear back from you!

Cheers,
Niushin

Hey Everyone,

I have been following this site for a while now. I retired at the first of the year, and my wife is soon to follow. I have been looking for something that we could do together, having owned a business together some years ago. That was Plan A. I could not et my wife to get enthusiastic about sinking everything we have into another business for another 10 years or so. Plan B was to go back to regular jobs here in the US. Plan C was the expat life, and we were both kind of interested in this, so she suggested that I research.

Over the last few months, I have spent all my spare time researching beautiful, affordable places to move with good healthcare and better climate than Texas, where we could make our retirement savings go further, and possibly go back to work or not. We would both like to wait to draw SS as long as possible.

My top THREE destinations: The Algarve region of Portugal; The Abruzzo region of Italy; and Ecuador. An exhaustive list of pros and cons accounting for everything from cost of living, food, activities, walkabliity, lifestyle, climate, etc., Ecuador kept coming back to the top of the list. I then toured the country by researching, the entire country (which if you're from Texas, that's not as hard as it might seem), Cuenca kept rising to the top of the list for our particular needs and lifestyle. We are not looking to move our current American lifestyle to Cuenca, although we are very healthy and I love to prepare all my meals from scratch and use the freshest local ingredients. So we really don't live that much of a typical American lifestyle, do we?

We don't want to afford to travel to all of these areas right now, because if we decide we want to move, we need to focus on that. And it's pretty alluring that there is a direct flight on United from Houston to Quito (5.5 hours), then overnight and to Cuenca the next day. So my wife said sooner than later. So we are planning to make our first visit in September for 10-14 days. I have found an immigration attorney who has sent loads of good information, and I have met a couple who lives there who can show us around, etc. If we fall in love, we are definitely moving after the first of the year. If not, we will look at the other areas.

But as I said, there is not much to not love about Cuenca, at least in print, and looking at all of the pros and cons, and since we have never immigrated before, being perhaps the easier transition of the top three choices. And after having been born and raised and lived here most of my life, a departure from Texas, and frankly, the US, may be just what we need. My Spanish is not awful but it definitely needs work, so that's a start!

Wish is luck as we begin this journey, and if anyone has any suggestions or you want to meet us when we are there in September, feel free to send your contact information along!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Evi. We have been living in Ecuador for two years. My husband and I are in our 40' s, our three daughters are 11,13,15 years old.
We have moved around a bit, hope to find the perfect spot, with lots of criterias:  safety, access to a city, nice climate, clean water, land.
Cuenca- Chordeleg- Vilcabamba- Yunguilla Valley where we lived for shorter or longer time.
We live on a farm, near a small village up in the mountain.
My girls started school in April. This is an awesome experience for them( for me too) because for 5 years they have been home schooled.

Friendly recommendation to everyone: don't buy a house or land before you lived there for a year!

Hello I'm an thinking of retiring in the next four years and I'm looking at Ecuador.  I'm sixty and live in northern California

Hi Vincent ,

You will love Cuenca. I have traveled to a good part of the world and it is one of the best places I think.
Try a company ....i think it is called Cuenca Containers. If it is the right one they also have attorneys who help with residence requirements. But many of the things you need will have to come from your home country . So if you google it you can find what is required . it is not too difficult, just time consuming.
good luck !.
My wife and I are going to cuenca for our second trip there in 5 years. We love it and will probably end up moving there also .

Bob Fowler

Hello Niushin,

My wife and I will be in Cuenca starting december 27th. We have traveled a bit and we enjoy meeting different people from all over the world.
If you are interested in meeting I will sens you a contact number.
Best Wishes ,
Bob &Allyson Fowler

Hello,

My wife and I both love Cuenca and we have stayed in Faro, Portugal ,another one of our fav places.
But I will give you another one to consider. Palolem Beach, Goa India. We have been there twice for 6 months each time. it is like going to another planet but in a good way. And the cost of living is the lowest we have seen anywhere.  You can google it but the descriptions will never do it justice. You can get a 10 year visa fairly easy . You can stay 6 months each time . You must leave for at least one day at the end of 6 months and then you can re-enter. It is a very comfortable and affordable way of life .
And the beach id beautiful.  The airfare there will be fairly high the first trip . Try to leave from a major city like New York /new jersey ,etc. We use an agency called One Travel and it has good dependable low tickets.
Good luck
Bob Fowler

Hello,
just a suggestion . before you move to Quito ,take a look at Cuenca.

Bob Fowler

Hi
I am new to the forum, live in Bermuda currently and my partner lives in Italy and goes back n forth.... I am medically retired but was an entrepreneur... running a glass blowing studio then cleaning. It now Saanan goats where I sell the milk n cheese....
Thinking to live a few months a year in ecuador and have a host family in Ambato but I love cotacashi.....
Pea anyone know if there is a. Cotacashi forum?
Looking to visit next in October this year...
Thanks
Gayle Ventures

Hey, I'M in Miami  looking at similar plans. i've done research and am visiting Cuenca, and Quito on tuesday for the first time. i'm glad to share any info i have and pickup!!

Good luck!! i'm in the planning stages myself. GOOD to know there are similar people planning  the same way!!

Hi Debra here from Calgary, Alberta, Canada!
I am retiring in 2021 & moving to Manta area.

Greetings,

Please receive my humble apologies for bothering you. I live in Ambato and I am looking for honest people so I can rent a mini apartment and a couple of rooms for students.
I do appreciate your help.
Sincerely,
Octavio
P.S. Welcome to Ecuador my friend!!

Two mini apartments. Very suitable for students, travelers, and couples.
It has four rooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. No laundry machine, but there is a place in the house where you can wash your clothes by hand.
The cost: $100 per month (negotiable) and $100 (guarantee)
Electricity and water not included.
Pets are welcome.
420 friendly :). Friendly place.
If you want to stay for a day: $10 per person (discount for foreigners).
Contact me just by email.

Hi

Im Steve from South Africa and planning on retiring from my corporate job in a couple of years. Ive been researching expat destinations for months now and have settled on Ecuador as my first choice.

Ultimately I would like to buy a few investment properties in the cities, which will bring in an income  and settle (probably) in the south on a small farm or holding. First though I will need to visit the country which I hope to do in November. If I am still happy with Ecuador I will return to live in the country for a year or so before I begin seriously investing and setting down roots.

Happy to be on the forum, so much information and support seems to be available. Ecuador looks awesome and exciting.

Steve

How was your visit to Cuenca? Are you still planning to expat here?

This was intended for @Jmdevall but it doesn't look like the "reply" button tags the OP. Still learning this system...

Loved every minute and planning on returning again for a few months this winter.  I'm also planning on permenant residency once I can figure out the financials, etc.  Can't wait to go back.

shift_happens wrote:

Loved every minute and planning on returning again for a few months this winter.  I'm also planning on permenant residency once I can figure out the financials, etc.  Can't wait to go back.

Great! Glad to hear it! We love living here!

I'm JP and my much better half is Amelia. We moved from Denver, CO to Cuenca in 2017 and are loving every minute of it. Best decision we could have made, we only wished we could have done it sooner.

Most of our gringo friends are retired, but we both still work virtual jobs  in addition to sharing our expat lives on YouTube.

We enjoy helping other people embark on their own crazy adventure so let us know if you have any questions  :)

¡Chao!

Shusssss!  Don't tell anyone or there goes the neighborhood.   LOL  I'm sure you do and I can't wait to make this happen.  I lived and worked in Bali for a few years but it's ruined with too much resort & hotel expansion and tourism.  It's just not the same anymore.  Cuenca is where it's at.

Hello! I am visiting for the month of November this year. I have a week in Quito on the front end of a 2 week tour of all of the areas in Ecuador. Then I stay about 10 days in Cuenca after the tour.  I'm thinking Cuenca is the place for me permanently, but not sure.  It is really important that I will be able to make friends and build a full life in the place I choose. I'm sure the expat community will be instrumental in that for me.  I'm hoping to meet some expats while I'm there, experience the culture and activities.  I'm 53 and am a certified public accountant in the USA.  Currently, I'm all in learning Spanish.

Kelley

Hello Amelia and JP!

I'd love any tips you have on places that expats hang out. I'm visiting Cuenca nov 27-dec 5.  I'd love to get a feel for the arts ( theater; live music; etc),  exercise classes ( Zumba/ yoga/ Pilates) ; great places to eat; volunteer opportunities ( I love helping animals, kids and the elderly). Great coffee shops...  I'd love to hear about your virtual work you do. I am 53 and have some virtual work I can do, but might prefer to go a whole different route.  Anything insight is appreciated!!

Kelley

Hi everyone.

my name is charles am from Nigeria national. I am planning a visit to ecuador within the next year (hopefully). i have loads of job skills..  I am determined to do this and need all the help I can get.

Haiiii..

My name is Anuj and i am from INDIA (kerala). I have been looking to move to Ecuador. I need a job first and i want you a help from you in getting a job. can you please help me.

Regards

Anuj

Hello there, my name is Eva. I am a Hungarian born Canadian woman in my 60's. I am thinking of retiring to Ecuador or Panama.

hi
I am 63 & retiring to Manta area in 2021!!!

shall tour about in 2020 & want to live by ocean...

Regards
Debra
Calgary, Alberta
social worker/esl tutor

Hi

I am retiring to Manta in 2021

I am in Calgary, Alberta today...

want to live by ocean for sure!!!

Regards
Debra
social worker/esl tutor

Hola! We have moved to Cuenca Ecuador and love it! We landed here in February.
We visited here three times before deciding.
Debbie and Jonathan

Hi

I am retiring to manta area in 2021 from Calgary, ab, Canada!!!

Done all my homework...

Packing already

Retirement here i come

Deb Toomey

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880414

Thanks!

Closed