I want to marry my Cambodian lady

Hello all....

I'm a 65 year old US citizen , currently  living in the US. I want to marry my Cambodian lady.
It appears that aside from the Cambodian age requirement, I ( and my relationship) meet all the needed requirements.  I have concluded that the US embassy would reject an application for a fiancé visa due to the Cambodian 50 year old age limit law. So.... it appears that my only option would be to marry outside of Cambodia , i.e. Hong Kong or Bangkok?  then apply for a US marriage visa. Am I correct so far?
My fiancé and I would like to live in the US for a couple years then move to Cambodia where I would be retired.

I want to get this started/completed as soon as possible and am not sure where to start.

Can anyone help??

Regards
Fignewton

Hello Fignewton.

Your problem is a US problem so I suggest you research the US requirements to bring your lady to the US to live. There is nothing Cambodian officials can do for you, it's a US thing.

But when you live in Cambodia and want to get married, you can do that outside, like Thailand, Hong Kong and more. After that you will have to register your marriage in Cambodia.

Quite some hoops to jump through. It would be easier if you wait til you're retired, then expatriate to Cambodia and live with your lady, married or not.
But that is up to your personal situation.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello everyone and welcome Fignewton,

Just to inform you that i have created a new thread from your posts on the Cambodia forum, so that you may better share and gather information.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks , I appreciate your help. Please bear with me on my questions. I just want to get this right the first time.
So....
1. Hong Kong or Bangkok ; is one "better/easier" etc than the other for me to marry my Cambodian lady?

2. I was under the impression that Cambodia did not recognize a marriage performed outside Cambodia, true or not? Especially one to a foreigner over 50?

Thanks , I appreciate your help. Please bear with me on my questions. I just want to get this right the first time.
So....
1. Hong Kong or Bangkok ; is one "better/easier" etc than the other for me to marry my Cambodian lady?

2. I was under the impression that Cambodia did not recognize a marriage performed outside Cambodia, true or not? Especially one to a foreigner over 50?

Best is you go to the websites of the embassies in Thailand and Hong Kong and find out what is better or easier for yourself.
Both have been done, so there is no favourite, except for personal reasons maybe.

After you are married you can register the marriage in Cambodia, might take some palm grease but it is possible and done many times.

Good luck.

Joe