Cambodian wedding

Hi,

The son of my partner is getting married .

There are quite a bunch of ceremonies. They ask me to dress  the classical way for wedding which involved several classical wedding cloths, quite different from ours. Is it an imperative imposed by the monks in the name of the religion  or the families traditions ?

My questiion is do I have to follow, which anyway is quite difficult as regrard to the  models and the size, or can i dress  differently  my way ,in a very respectfull way closer to our way in the west?

Does any one have any real clue on that ,

beyond the morality bla bla . Thanks

Depends on how you feel about being nice to your new relatives. Of course they will want you to accept their traditions, but it's not compulsory.  Just do what you feel is comfortable.

"When in Rome, do as the Roman's do". Best I can offer to your question.

@Georrges Simon

Hi when you marry a foreigner east or west, to not don the traditional dress if required is like telling your bride she can't ware a white wedding dress, a male mostly wares a monkey suit of various types, but this is Cambodia it has long very old traditions and must have respect for parents, you have a choice but your intended partner will expect you to integrate with Khmer life, a starting point is getting married, and respecting the parents, what you do is your choice, but it should really be a joint decision between you and your intended you could cause her deep embarrassment if you where not to ware traditional marriage attire.

@Mike CL

You beat me to it!😀

Best advice.

To the OP:

It's only a few days, so man up and show your respect for Khmer culture.

I know how it feels but sometimes you have to do what is expected.

Cheers.

Joe