Cost of living in Salalah

Hello dear members,

I think it would be very interesting and useful to supply some information about the cost of living in Salalah. I am sure it will be very helpful to members who are planning to relocate to there.

Don't forget to mention in which region/city where you are living!

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Salalah?)

> public transportation fares (taxi, bus etc ...)

> food prices (per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy related prices (oil, gas, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

-Do not hesitate to add more items to the list-

Thanks in advance for your participation!

houses and rents vary here.

a good fully furnished apartment (not a villa) will cost about 200-250 OMR and there are only very very few such good apartment buildings that are new and furnishings are of good quality and newer.

for unfurnished apartments - its variable from 80 - 180 rials depending on how old the construction is and what area you are in.

public transportation is ONLY BY UNMETERED TAXIS, no buses, nothing. and the taxis are not even available on call. so u have to go out in hot sun and be on road and wait for a taxi to come. charges are 500 baiza (half a OMR) for almost everywhere in city, unless u wana go little far, then its 1 rial (still bargainable to 100-200 baiza less)

average decent restaurants like the ones I mentioned in the other post...cost of food with a soft drink to add shall be around 1.5 - 2 OMR, with a drink & main course. add about 0.5 - 1 rials for starters/soup and another similar amount for dessert.

Thank you for this information Dr Sumit! :)