Everyday needs of Americans

For anyone living in Tunisia, I'm arriving in July and will be staying with my boyfriend for at least 2 months. The question I have is, will I be able to find American or French toiletries and beauty items? In particular, shampoo and conditioner, face creams and hair dye. I can pack enough for my stay, but these things become heavy in baggage price, so if anyone could tell me if these have been easy or harder to find, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Hi...
My name is Shelli, i am also American and
I too will be arriving in Tunisia (Tunis) around the middle of May, first part of June. However, I will employed teaching English.
I am sure you have, but, did you ask your boyfriend that question? He might be your best Avenue for those types of things. Share with him what you use, the two of you should  "Skype shop" togther, could be fun for both of you!
My fiance is Algerian, and he will be coming to me to live.  I understand your concerns and frustrations, not to mention your excitement. Nice to know both of us have a loved one there to help us. Big adjustment change...no doubt!
Fyi....i know "Axe" products are available, because my fiance has used them. 😍😍👍👍😁😁

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will ask him.  He doesn't always quite understand, I will take pics for him. I have an inverted bob haircut, too, which I'm worried about. If you know anything about the beauty salons, let me know. Thank you!

Let's stay connected so we can help one another. I know the feeling you have about your hair...it is scary to think about who will and can do it! My hair is very thick, mostly on the sides, so i have to have mine thinned out. I plan on getting mine done before I leave America.

I get the language barrier all too well. It is very hard for them. I could not imagine what they go through to try to communicate with us. Does your fiance speak French or Arabic?

He speaks both, but I don't trust his translation skills for a woman's haircut! :o I'll probably take pictures of my hair freshly cut.

of course
its a girl advice ! you will definitely find everything you need
and even toilets are good ! haha don't worry
no need to bring those stuff with you
but I advise you to be sure from the place you are going to visit
you can ask me advice or message me in private

LOL, I get that all too well! LOL. So I got some information for you, I talk to my 21 year old daughter who is hip on technology. She said that you can register with Amazon Prime. You can do $12.99 a month or a $99 annual fee which get you Speedy Delivery anywhere in the world for both products and food within 2 day delivery. This way it might save you from the household of trying to figure out where to go and how to shop and dealing with currency issues. LOL
Hope this info helps you out, let me know if it does

Yes, that helps a lot. I didn't know Amazon delivered everywhere. I do know that with other companies, I have to pay quite a bit for shipping ( I love my clothes/clothes from the UK).

Hello, you will find similar beauty products you would find in a  drug store here in the USA. As far as higher end beauty products you may find French or Italian brands. Pharmacies and chain grocery stores sell all these items. They have Dove, L'Oréal, herbal essence, etc. And some really nice quality French brands. I think you will be fine.

I wear a hijab, but I did get my hair cut often in a few salons in Cite Ennasr. I think they are pretty competent and the price is reasonable. Many speak just enough English or someone in the salon can help with that too.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be using drugstore brands as this trip is costing a fortune already. 😊

I just got back from Tunis with my Algerian now husband ❤️❤️ but yes they have all these things. Sometimes when I was looking they would call it something else so I just tried to explain what the product did and my husband would translate. We stayed in the capital in this Lafayette they had a supermarket.

Oh I'm sorry i just realized your question was answers haha! Good luck and have fun

That's fine. Everyone has been so helpful. :top:

Where will you live in Tunis?

You can find everything here and probably at a cheaper price.  We have all the different brands of hair care but the best are the French brands and my favourite is le petit marseille.  tunisian women are very much into health and beauty products so it's not a problem here.  In the capitol of Tunis you will find fabulous hairdressers, some better than you have in the USA.  We even have celebrity hair salons where you should go for an assessment before he will agree to do your hair and only at the end will you know the price lol!!

I live in the southern suburbs of Tunis, about 9 kms ... yeah

What is the average cost of a haircut in Tunis?