Where's the best area for English speaking expats to live?

Hi, we move to Tunis in 2 weeks and was just wondering which areas of Tunis are the most suitable for English speaking expats. My work is providing us with a selection of properties to view, but don't want to base our decision simply on what the accommodation is like, a bit of knowledge on the areas of Tunis would help. Sorry I don't know where any of the apartments will be. So if anybody could provide some details of the areas, local ammenities, distance attractions (city centre, beach, historical  etc), transport links, cost of living, friendly/safe or anything else, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Gareth

Try Marsa, Carthage,(these are pretty close to the sea but far from the city center) Nasr, Manzah, Manar (closer to the center and full of cafes and restaurants around)...

You can ask your question here;facebook.com/groups/146194665551004/

Hello Gaz and Trish

seems like you have a new role to come to and I wish you well.

Tunisia has it's positives but, unless you've visited before and experienced life here you will find it very different to the UK and certainly lacking in choice.

I live in Sousse so can't advise on the Tunis area.  However, if you get stuck then I know someone, a Tunisian student whose lived there all his life and I can always drop him an email if there's something specific.

The one thing I can say is about the banks.  A number of them simply don't work.  I've had friends tearing out their hair when trying to withdraw or move funds.  Even in the best of banks it's like going back to the 1950's.  So just check things like banking on-line etc.  In my experience and recommendations from other ex-pats BANK BIAT OR SOCIETEE GENERAL are the best banks and if you bring sterling over savings rates are attractive.

Also, if you buy a holiday home here or decide to stay and buy property BUY IN STIRLING otherwise you can't take your money back out of the country at present.  There's also a 10 per cent capital gains tax you'll need to pay the government.

Tunis may be a bit different as all the young people that can't leave the country swarm to the capital and most speak some English.  However, if you don't speak any French or Arabic I suggest you learn... it will help.  I've struggled with the language and I've a little French.

If you feel there are any other general tips I can help you with then do get back to me.  What work are you doing here?

take care Carole