Expat Meet-Up?

Hi

We are currently in Davao City and would love to meet new expat's around the area.
Maybe have coffee and meet-up to share ideas and have great conversation!

Thanks

W and C :)

Hi Skiffle,

Unfortunately, many western embassies are prohibiting their citizens to travel to the south, I was warned by my embassy when I came to the Philippines to not travel to the south unless in known path with companions, or with guards, it is not published warning because of the Philippines govnt that will argue that but it sent almost to all the residents or visitors here in multiple ways. If you can make it to Manila, I will love to meet you and introduce you to a lot of European and American friends that are living here

Hi Wadja, Thats great!

Where are you in Manila? :) I was there last week! :(

In ortigas usually :) let me be updated  in advance for the next time you go to Manila

Wadja, you might not have meant "prohibited", but no foreign embassy can prohibit their own citizens from traveling anywhere in the Philippines - they can only communicate travel warnings. Embassies can only restrict or prohibit there own gov't employees from travel.

Unfortunately, embassy travel warnings are known to be far too general and a blanket approach to dealing with actual or perceived threats.  Regardless, embassies have to communicate to "CYA" on their side in case an event occurred (A comment made to me by a former *** govt Intel friend). You never know when some moron will go bird-watching again down in Sulu. Warnings are not to be dismissed, but it would be prudent to additionally collect region-specific security/safety intel from other resources.

Davao remains relatively safe as do most of the provinces outside the ARMM regardless of the martial law situation down south. There are expat meet ups in the city but just can't recall specifics. I will ask friends when next there and let you know, Skiffle.

I was clear when I said prohibit, it was said directly, but cannot be said via a written warning, to avoid conflict with the local government.  Before traveling to the south, we should inform in advance about the reasons to travel, a contact person there, and an address. I understand that may be not the countries have made that " verbal strong restriction" but again, it is for the safety, not just to make things complicated. Anyway, almost of professional expats are in Metro Manila, so obviously who wanna meet  more foreigners should be the one to move to the capital area. To Skiffle: Thank you for your good understanding, many people are getting irritated or offended just because they wanna defend their area and don't want to accept the truth about it, you are an amazing open minded person :)

Hey Lachmcc  Thanks for this- let me know if anyone is coming here and we can meet-up and recommend places too! 

And Yes, Davao is  safe. It's sad that it gets included as one of unsafe places in Philippines. :(

Good Afternoon Wedja, Yeah,  I Understand. I used to work in Makati (BGC) and that's probably the  question they ask me. "Is Davao Safe?" -   I get used to it and safety first of course.  :)

Hi Skiffle,
Retired American here living in Davao City. I know some other foreigners & we occasionally we meet up for coffee when possible. You're welcome to join. Let me know.

Hey

How are you?
Sure lets meet up!  =)
Where do you usually hang out?
Do you have a fb?
Looking forward!

Hello,
I notice your original post says "we", but just a lady in your avatar & profile. Are you single or a couple? Our meetups are usually one or the other.
We try to get a consensus before hand on when & where to meet. Varies due to preferences & schedules, but generally it's Starbucks/Coffee Bean at Abreeza or Gmall. Occasionally a local restuarant, if agreed upon. What area of Davao are you located? I'm in Marfori Heights.
Not a FBer, but do have Skype, Viber, IG, Twitter.

There's me and my hubby. hmm you got a point there.. haha ill change my picture.
We are from Ma-a.

We look forward to meeting some of your guys! :D

Is there a meet-up in Luzon? Or weekend  out of town trips i can join? Would like to meet new friends and explore the country more.
-H

I really want to come and work in Philippines as I have very good experience in HR. Currently working in India but don't know how to apply get a good job in Philippines. can anyone guide me here..

wadja wrote:

I was clear when I said prohibit, it was said directly, but cannot be said via a written warning, to avoid conflict with the local government.  Before traveling to the south, we should inform in advance about the reasons to travel, a contact person there, and an address. I understand that may be not the countries have made that " verbal strong restriction" but again, it is for the safety, not just to make things complicated. Anyway, almost of professional expats are in Metro Manila, so obviously who wanna meet  more foreigners should be the one to move to the capital area. To Skiffle: Thank you for your good understanding, many people are getting irritated or offended just because they wanna defend their area and don't want to accept the truth about it, you are an amazing open minded person :)

Your embassy I right to tell you that as a precaution,  but somehow try to mingle with the local our country is beautiful even in the southern part just avoid the ARMM( autonomous region of Muslim Mindanao) otherwise all other province in the south are relatively safe.  Siargao is beautiful and I believed Davao and Bukidnon is also a nice and safe province to explore. Hope you enjoy the country and the hospitality of the Filipinos.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no political comment please

A request

There is clearly a situation in some areas of that country so a mention of travel warnings is fine, but posters are requested not to engage in blame and politics as these things tend to cause argument.
Opinions regarding the actual level of danger are also fine, just avoid blame aimed at anyone.

Fred wrote:

A request

There is clearly a situation in some areas of that country so a mention of travel warnings is fine, but posters are requested not to engage in blame and politics as these things tend to cause argument.
Opinions regarding the actual level of danger are also fine, just avoid blame aimed at anyone.

Hi everyone,

Let's avoid political debates here please.

I remind you the initial subject of this thread :

Skiffle wrote:

Hi

We are currently in Davao City and would love to meet new expat's around the area.
Maybe have coffee and meet-up to share ideas and have great conversation!

Thanks

W and C :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Id love to join Skiffle... Im living on Mindanao about 3 hours north of Davao, but do travel to the city from time to time.... looking forward to meeting other expats...  :-)

Hello! Pls message us and we would be happy to meet up here in Davao City :D
Happy Weekend!

Hello mate.  Sounds a great idea if you can find a few to meet up. Coffee idea seems a great idea.  Davao City is a nice place to live and much safer to live than Manila.  i go for an early morning walk each day at day break or earlier and have never felt threatened.  I would never go to Manila unless i really had to.  Most are very friendly Southern Philippines but a stigma about safety if you are a foreigner.  My wife will not take me to any known areas that are known to be dangerous to us like certain Muslim areas. Getting older i wanted a stress free place to spend our final years. If you can get by with the undisciplined drivers on the roads you are there. For us if you have AU$100kl you can buy a nice house and new car. Medical is our greatest problem but getting older we will take a chance.  If you are careful you can live on your single Aged pension.  Have a great day mate and hope it works out. A few years ago i tried to meet up with expats but got no takers. It can be frustrating at times communicating with our Aussie English unlike the US English they always hear. What visa do you have as i have a 13A visa which seems to be ok unless you have to return home for a visit and it will cost you PHP 5kl plus each time you leave the Philippines. Dont break their rules like an Aussie missionary did and expect to be above the law.  Never go to any political gatherings for your own safety

As yet no replies. May expats in Davao area (US, Aussie English etc)  considering its one of the safest places in the Philippines to live. Keep trying. Maybe many just want to keep to themselves which is their choice. I personally think it would be a great idea.

Hi All, I'm from Malaysia...I would like to meet up but i'm in Makati.....

hi wadja, ive been in manila and would love to meet some new expats. When and where? i live in QC but i dont mind traveling. looking for drinking and travel buddies.

Mandy

sorry i should had posted in Manila..just realized...

Hi all,i am in davao since last 2 months,and traveled a lot up to gensen. There is no threat i noticed.some time,some incidence may take place but its in every country.
I goes here for walking morning and never felt any problems.
It's a pleasure meeting u .

Hey everyone, I've been living here in Davao for a couple of years now. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in having a cup of coffee some time. It'd be cool to meet some other expats here. Once I got married and stopped drinking so much my social life pretty much took a nosedive lol.