Practical questions regarding rental apartments

Hello,

I will be moving to Nairobi in 6 months and am looking at some potential apartments to let.
Can anyone help me understand what exactly is ment by DSQ and what the norm is regarding serviced apartments (for example is it common to have apartments that are not serviced at all?)

DSQ refers to the servants quarters (domestic servants quarter).

With regard to serviced vs non serviced apartments.  A serviced apartment is fully furnished, cleaned and beddings laundered etc and all bills are included.  Usually they are aimed at the short term/holiday market and prices tend to be considerably higher.

Most apartments are not serviced and many aren't furnished either.  So, you are responsible for the bills, cleaning, laundry and so on.  However there will be a service charge which covers maintenance of the building and compound, payment for communal lighting and security.  Its worth asking how much this is before signing a contract.

I would always recommend that you check out an apartment and negotiate the rental, personally.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer!

So a DSQ is simply the living facilities and you would then hire a maid for example yourself?

Also just to make sure, a non-serviced apartment has (unless otherwise stated) usually no cleaning service?

A DSQ is the room, or rooms for a maid/houseboy, should you want to hire one.

Non serviced apartments, you would clean yourself, or hire a maid/houseboy to do it for you.