Travel with expired rne?

Question - i have a permanent visa.  I understand i have to travel to brazil every 2 years or it becomes void.  The 2nd document is the residents card that is good for 10 years.  If i cannot renew that card (moved back to us and cannot get back for the 1-2 mos required to renew), can i still travel to brazil and keep my visa active?

Pahome 104

If you do renew the card before it expires you will have to reapply and you cannot use it to travel to Brazil if it is expired,

Jim

I do understand that, but here's the better question - if I let it expire, it would in effect make my visa void?  I can easily travel to Brazil every 2 years, but it looks like I won't be able to spend the month there to get the RNE renewed (I read that you have to be there to apply in person then to pick it back up).

Pahome 104

I have heard that some people have authorized others to pick up their card. Maybe a power of attorney.

Jim

Regardless, if I do not find a way to renew my RNE, that in effect makes my visa Void even if I go every 2 years?  That's the question I need answered.

I've also been looking for the answer to that. Haven't found it. However, the idea of having someone else pick up the new card sounds like it might solve the problem.

You can authorize someone in your behalf to pick up your CIE cards.  I have done that in the past to help a friend of mine out.

Just goto the cartorio and get a power of attorney made with the required details

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have no plans or interest in renewing my expired RNE, but I do have a permanent visa and though I live in the USA frequently travel to Brazil.

Were you able to travel on an expired RNE after all? Did you have any problems?

Erich

Pahome104 wrote:

Regardless, if I do not find a way to renew my RNE, that in effect makes my visa Void even if I go every 2 years?  That's the question I need answered.

If you're in Brazil on a permanent visa, you're required by law to have a valid CRNM -formerly RNE/CIE - in your possession at all times.  You can look at it this way:  the visa is your permission from the Foreign Ministry to enter the country; the CRNM is your permission from the Justice Ministry to stay in the country.   You need both. One reason the VIPER was abolished was probably to prevent the situation in which you find yourself.  To keep your visa alive, you should plan on getting a new CRNM next time you're in Brazil.

So I think the main question now is: can one enter Brazil with an expired CIE?

daeys wrote:

So I think the main question now is: can one enter Brazil with an expired CIE?

Do you have a valid VIPER, and have you been out of the country for less than two years?  If the answer to both questions is "yes", you're probably ok.  You may want to confirm with your local Brazilian Consulate. 

Make sure you have all the documents required for renewal with you, and when the Federal Police agent at Passport Control tells you that your CIE has expired, tell him that you'll be renewing it first thing.
Good luck!