Stray/street dogs in Turkey

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but here goes.

Myself and my partner have been trying to narrow down our search for the best country for us to emigrate to, as we have grown tired of the UK, and would like to move out before starting a family etc.

Turkey is currently pretty high up on our list, however I have read about something that really concerns me.

I have a pretty bad phobia of dogs, and neither me or my partner are particularly fond of them. I read that there is a stray dog problem in Turkey, and that sometimes they can attack people. I was just wondering how true and prevalent this is. Would we be able to avoid them if we settled in a remote area, or are there towns and villages where strays are not an issue? I'd just like anyone's opinion and experience please about this.

Thanks in advance.

guess u re kidding

Hi and welcome on the forum ali1984 :)

I didn't know about this problem but i hope that it's not as serious as you are saying! Maybe some members in the area will be able to tell us more about it.

Regards
Armand

There are stray dogs in parts of Turkey.

I, for example, live in Istanbul and my particular area has stray dogs. They are, however, extremely placid and often move out of the way for you. They are often sleeping in a doorway or lying on some grass...neyse. They aren't aggressive and they aren't scary

Thanks for the replies, Sam especially.  I have had too many bad experiences with dogs, and certainly most in my area (which are all pets) are very aggressive and scary.  It might actually help me with my phobia to be around dogs like those in Turkey if they are very timid as you say.  I guess they have to be nice to humans if they are strays because those are the ones who will bring them food.

And to the first reply, I wasn't kidding, I am just very apprehensive as I've seen how fast dogs temperaments can change, and I've been on the receiving end of some pretty scary things with dogs.

Dont worry about the dogs ;) here they are peaceful

Hey,

I have the same phobia with dogs as well and to be honest, i would change the street if dog is ahead but here it is really peacefully and although it looks dangerous, it never tries to attack or even come to u, on contrary it is trying to avoid people, all street dogs here has labels hanged to their ears that it is vaccinated ..etc and it is enough proof not to run of them when u see one,..

I feel my dogs phobia started going away after few months in Istanbul, Good luck with ur settlement plans and if you take my word I would recommend Istanbul BIG TIME :)

Regards,
Sherif.

Do not worry about it.
Where many dogs are under municipal control and not have aggression. Dogs can be scary, even to love you maybe you might want to approach. But certainly they are not aggressive and get away a little hand movement, you understand.
I mentioned this is usually not at all. :)
Hi everybody