Online shopping in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in Mauritius? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in Mauritius?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I  know one friend of mine who use theshop.mu and said it was ok

I lived in Mauritius for a few months and always wondered about the delivery situation for online shopping.
There don't seem to be visibly obvious street names, let alone house numbers in some areas.   So how do people get stuff delivered to them?
If you don't live in a nice complex with a gate guard who can receive your delivery what would typically happen?
Can you ask that stuff gets delivered to the local post office or something like that?
(And bonus question: what happens with international deliveries too?)

SnipsExpat wrote:

I lived in Mauritius for a few months and always wondered about the delivery situation for online shopping.
There don't seem to be visibly obvious street names, let alone house numbers in some areas.   So how do people get stuff delivered to them?
If you don't live in a nice complex with a gate guard who can receive your delivery what would typically happen?
Can you ask that stuff gets delivered to the local post office or something like that?
(And bonus question: what happens with international deliveries too?)

Mauritius is small and people rarely move. Even without a house number, the delivery man knows exactly where every single family live in a village or small town. In larger towns, houses usually have a number or a postal identification.

When delivering a parcel, the postman will usually hand it over only if there's someone. If not, the delivery will be re-scheduled. This is for small items only.
For large items, the person will receive a memo from the postman and he/she will have to go pick up the parcel at the local post office.
For much larger and bulky items and in the case of controlled goods like chemicals and machinery, one must go to the Customs House in Port Louis for clearance before picking up.

If your item is transiting via an international carrier like Fedex or DHL, they will contact you prior to delivery.

Please try savegenie.mu for all your online electronics, groceries and even wines and organic products shopping!!

You can download the app on play store
Thanks

Wow  :)

What an interesting topic! :cool:

I has always wondered  :/ about online shops in Mauritius.

I will share with this friends & family!

I wonder what other online shops exist? Afraid I do not know of any, apart from the ones mentioned by other members above.

I had a parcel delivered from the US with Fed Ex recently and received emails telling us when it would be delivered - it was right on time!

I did see an online food shopping website quite recently but sorry lost the link! Prices and produce seemed quite reasonable and similar to Super U, Jumbo etc.

You can order Food Online and have it delivered to your doorstep from www.ordermanzer.mu

But they deliver only in a few regions and take a loooot of time sometimes. Still, this is better than driving to a restaurant on a Saturday night.

The British Corner Shop delivers world wide including Mauritius. Some great British staples but the delivery price is extortionate!

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp

Is it possible to pay with an European credit card?

priceguru.mu is quite a good one for electricals etc. Whenever we've ordered from there the delivery people have phoned us to find out out exactly where we live so it hasn't been a problem. When people have sent me post from the UK to my house however I haven't received it even after going into our local village Post Office to let them know where I live! So I just don't get post sent to Mauritius anymore :(