Which agency I have to contact to rent a flat in CR?

Hello everyone,

I'm coming to Costa rica soon and I would like a long rent accomodation.

So I have two requests :

Do you know a good agency who could help me ?
Which is the best place to live?

I want to live in a city with a cheap rent :)

Thanks for your help.

Hello!
If you want to keep your rent low, do not go through an agency.  Your best bet is to come to the city/neighborhood you want to live in, stay in a B&B or hostel, and walk around looking for a place.  Look for fliers on telephone poles, at grocery stores, internet cafes, and utility (ICE or AYA) offices.  Also, pick up a copy of La Nacion, a newspaper, and look in the classified section.  You will probably find something w/in a week, especially if you have a good idea of what you want for how much.  Keep in mind that "unfurnished" means no kitchen appliances, and perhaps no counters either - just a sink in most cases.  You can see what we did in several instances here (you may have to skip a couple that aren't completely relevant): http://julieandrickincostarica.blogspot … label/home

As for what city, you can see our take on several (we moved around a bit before landing) on my blog - look for a city label in the right column.  San José is expensive, as are Escazú and Santa Ana on the west, and Curridabat on the east.  Alajuela and Heredia are more reasonable for large cities, and Orosi is nice for a small town. There are many reasons people choose their city, including rent, weather, medical availability, internet access, and activities.
good luck!
Julie

Perfect, this is clear, thanks a lot for your fast answer :)

Cheers

Hi again Julie,

Can you tell me what are the wages in Costa Rica?

Of course, it depend of the position but do you know in general?

For example, is there a minimum salary?
For example, how many earn a salary with some responsabilities?
How many  get a sale person monthly?

etc..

Thanks for those informations.

Cheers

Desk85, I agree with Julie's answer.

As to working there it is of course illegal for you to work there and also it is difficult to find a job. That is not to say it's impossible, just illegal and difficult. Wages are generally lower than what Americans are used to, but then so is the cost of living.

The min. wage is around $2/hour. If you can make $4/5 an hour you might be able to live. Living on min. wage there, as anywhere, is difficult and requires that you live in a not so great neighborhood or share a place with others...

Good luck!