Safety Warning

This morning whilst walking into work (Dahra) I had my laptop bag (no laptop in it) grabbed by a passing car, now I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 85 kilos, the car took me off my feet and dragged me along the road until the bags strap snapped. I had the bag on my left arm and was walking on the left side of the road, so the driver was the one who grabbed it. The car was a silver Mitsubishi Lancer with two young Arabs in it.

Stay safe and alert folks.

WTF! Are you fine ?

This just makes me sad.    I know you can recover physically, it's recovering from the hopeless mentality that is the hardest.  I am so sorry this happended to you.

Julien wrote:

WTF! Are you fine ?

Yeah mate cheers, just some bruising and a twisted shoulder. It is sad when things like this happen (they occur all over the world), it just makes me worried about my wife's safety when she is walking about.

mzsmartypants wrote:

This just makes me sad.    I know you can recover physically, it's recovering from the hopeless mentality that is the hardest.  I am so sorry this happended to you.

Thank you for your concern and kindness, it is my wife I worry about more.

wow! thanks for the heads up, Clansman. that's unnerving news.  we live in the city and a friend had his car broken into in front of our apartment -- extremely busy and well lit street, plus it was pouring that night. smash and grab...also for a laptop...he'd come into our house for a couple of minutes and zap!  glad you're not hurt.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Clansman. I am glad you are fine.

What makes me really angry is the lack of police involvement in tackling this type of cowardly crime.
My advice to all expats is to report every single incident to the police and to your embassy and to demand they do something about it.

Meanwhile stay safe and excerise caution when carrying any valuables.

Jeez dude.. hope you're ok.

You're never six feet tho... ;-p

mind over matter...

glad you're ok fella

flipfinger wrote:

In his heels.

He says 'laptop bag' but it obviously looked like a 'man bag' to attract the crims :)

Glad you're OK. Dahra is a busy place and given with your stature the person would surely be nuts ;) BTW Did you report it?

Hahaha, man purse? They did something like that to my father back in Venezuela, but later the thief came back and throw my father's bag to him because it was full of papers instead a laptop. At least here they don't kill people for Blackberries

Hey Clansman, I'm really sorry to hear what happened! :(

I hope you're doing ok though and wish you a swift recovery from the injuries sustained.

Take care!!!!

Haf

flipfinger wrote:

Jeez dude.. hope you're ok.

Ok 5 foot 11 if one is being pedantic, noticed you didn't question the weight bit :lol: Could have done with 'the boyo' being with me :idontagree:

As if MOI would ever be pedantic.. Never was good at those fairground 'guess your weight' thingies tho!!  Actually it's prob a good thing Boyo wasn't there, you'd both have ended up in jail somewhere making new 'friends' ;-p