Working remotely allowed under spouse visa?

Hello there,

Very new to this forum, we (US residents, based in Houston at the moment) are contemplating a job opportunity for my wife in Brunei for few years. Her company would obviously sponsor her working visa as well as granting me a spouse one.

Now, my own company would be interested in keeping me around, as I work remotely already and travel to customers in the Americas. I could transfer as a contractor in their eyes, and keep being paid in the US (again, we are residents here, and my wife's base country would remain the US too).

My actual question is the following: would the Brunei government mind me keeping my work from home (and travel to customers in the region, anything BUT Brunei)? I'm not replacing any local jobs, and would not be receiving any salary locally either.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, whether via a direct answer or contact to ping / lawyer to check this with.... kind of hard to understand what's feasible or not at the moment.

Many thanks!!
-A

Hi,

Did you manage to get a suitable answer to your query. I too have a similar predicament. I live in the UK and we are moving to Brunei with a spouse visa. I want to continue to work remotely so wondering what the tax implications are.

Thanks