New members of the Japan forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Japan forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Japan if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Japan forum, introduce yourself here – 2016 continues below!

Hi I'm from Sydney. I have raised 2 bicultural children in Tokyo while I taught English. I got my Masters by distance when they were little at USQ- I recommend that uni!

My hubby and I have a cafe in Nishi Shinjuku- Kashiwagicafe. (It is on the web.) Inside it seats 20 and the outside deck-15 and it can be booked for functions. You can bring your dog on the deck. Inside there's a HO gage model railroad you can play with, and the sound system, designed using vacuum tubes, sounds good. The coffee is great and we serve meals. We often have home made cheesecake. We make meatloaf and at Christmas we serve turkey. Bread and cookies are baked fresh daily. You will be welcome!

I do tai chi (3 dan inChen style) and I've done karate (2 dan ho). I want to do more walking, making stuff ( rather than buying it) and I want to learn to be creative with the computer. I love cooking something new and going out to see a gallery, performance or discover places near or in Tokyo.

Hi there, Julien and HoJo I enjoyed reading your posts which have in turn encouraged me to post. My family and I may be moving to Hiroshima from England for 2-3 years through my husband's job - we haven't agreed to it yet. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment especially at the thought of starting my three children (ages 13, 10 and 7) at a new school and finding a home for a family of 5. Ideally I'd love to move to a house but my husband said it's more likely we'd have to live in an apartment. Would you know of any websites which are helpful for expats to look at for accommodation?
We hope to go on a familiarisation visit over half term in England (13-17th Feb) so in two weeks and this may help us make up our minds about moving or not.
Any advice on how to prepare for an expat move would also be gratefully received. Thank you!

Hello my name is Lesley. My husband and I are moving to Japan this March. We are looking for a home to rent in Kyoto while we are here.
Also I'm interested in opportunities to volunteer helping others learning English as a second language.
Looking forward to connecting to the expat community.

Hello!  My name is Michael.   First, I would like to say how grateful I am for the expat community.  This is a great service and I hope to make some valuable connections here.  My company recently announced plans to expand into Japan and I am very excited for what is about to come.   I may need to relocate to Japan,  at least temporarily.   In anticipation of this transition,  I am looking to connect with people currently residing there or who have previously lived/ worked there to get a lay of the land.   I especially would like to connect with businessmen and women,  entrepreneurs and business owners.   I look forward to this journey in my life!   

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I'll be heading to Kyoto in the next few months.  I'm currently living and working for a multinational company in China. I will take a brave leap and spend some time in Japan simply to meet people, experiment with new and interesting things, and experience the country.

I'm originally from San Francisco, CA.  Through the years I've spent a great deal of time working or living in China and East Asia. I finished my Master's at the London School of Economics in 2015.  I'm extremely adventurous and entrepreneurial with a broad range of interests and knowledge including business analysis, international economics, East Asian philosophy and culture, art/architecture, public policy, futurism, investing, comprehensive design, entrepreneurship, and music (yes, odd combination).

I'd love to meet anyone that wants to have interesting conversation, explore beautiful Japanese culture, or anything else really. I'm especially interested in connecting with innovators (of all kinds) and entrepreneurs. It would also be great to connect with the Chinese community here! 我会很想中国 :(

Looking forward to meeting you!

Nick

Hi Nick!

You have quite an impressive and interesting background.  I am an entrepreneur with business interests in Japan and a new opportunity. I'm looking for a few sharp people as my company is the leader in a fast growing industry and we are about to be the first to enter Japan.  If you'd like to chat, let me know how best to reach you.  My email is ***

Michael

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please share your contact details via pm. Thank you

Hello everyone, I've been in Japan for almost 2 years, currently living in Aomori but will be moving to kyoto in a couple of months.  Looking forward to heading down south, exploring Kansai, and meeting new people.

Hi! My name is Nate and I'm Chilean! I currently live in California but me and my husband are planning on moving to Japan in the next couple of years! We would love some pointers and to meet people that already love there!
I am working towards a fashion major at school!

Hi Guys

The same thing in here, i am looking for an accommodation  around Tokyo, Currently  i am located  in around  Minanisunamachi station, But i am looking a better apartment, So if anyone knows better and good price  then let me know please.  I am also looking much more expat and same as Local people for shearing the life in here.

Looking forward to hearing  you all guys,

Hi my name is Denise , I Live in New York and I'm looking for contacts in Japan 🇯🇵, because I'm part of the business that will be open there very soon . So I looking for people who's interested to earn extra income as part time job. I hope we can talk soon .

Super , I'm looking for contacts in Japan 🇯🇵, so i really interested to talk with you !

Hi my name is denise, what is the name of your company , I hope we no working for the same company.

Hi nick that is interesting, I looking for Japanese contacts or people interested in be part of the new business that will be open in Japan very soon .

Hi,
I am Sahar, from Iran :cheers: , I am a PhD candidate in Computer science. I will travel to Tokyo from 8th May 2017 and will stay there for 6 months as a research visitor in The university of Tokyo. Still I do not have any room/house for stay  :(  and I am looking for female roommate or a sharing house for reducing my costs!

Hi everyone and welcome on board  :)

@ Sahar, you may drop an advert in the dedicated section of the website here : Shared accommodation in Tokyo.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you so much @Bhavna :)

Hello Lesley!
My name is An. I'm from Vietnam. I live in Osaka and currently I'm working for a company in Kyoto. I have been in Japan for 5 years. I really hope to meet you in Kyoto if we have a chance.
Sincerely.

Hi Lesley,
I have spent a fair bit in Kyoto and been around the area.  It is superb - in and out of Kyoto.  Rentals are not cheap in Kyoto but adjacent towns are let's say - reasonable.  You could probably save half - living in one of them and commuting.  Plenty of buses.  When you get there - shop around.  We normally stay in Enmachi - but I wouldn't call it cheap.
Note English is a growing subject for Japanese high school students....and that continues to university level (I'm a former university employee here who has worked with Japanese  students).  Not sure how much longer the market is for English instructors.  I suspect it will contract over the next decade.  That said as a volunteer - you might be able to target Japanese tourists that want to travel to English speaking countries and even beyond, as English is almost everywhere.
Why volunteer though?  No one else does to my knowledge.  You may find a market, especially if you charge very reasonable fees.

Hello everyone!!!

My name is Manon and I am a biology student from Paris, France.
I might do my summer internship in Kyoto this year and I'm looking fo practical information on the city especially accomodation (room or shared appartment). I will be staying 6 weeks.

Looking forward to hear about your experience of the city as well!!

Have a good day ~~

Hello!My name is Evita and i'm from Greece.
I will finish my 2-year college this year and i plan to move to Japan.
First of all i want to know if i can to to university for another 2 year and take a bachelor degree.Is that possible? Second i want to find a job as a english teacher with telf certificate. Will i be able to live on my own financial? I dont have economical support so i must know if with a regular salary i can live in Japan.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

my name is Alex and I'm from Belgium. I moved to Japan in November to get married here.  Now I live with my wife in Nagoya.  I learned a lot about the life here in Japan and I like it here. I'm happy to provide information (or get) about living in Japan, especially about Nagoya.

greetings

Manon_-_ wrote:

Hello everyone!!!

My name is Manon and I am a biology student from Paris, France.
I might do my summer internship in Kyoto this year and I'm looking fo practical information on the city especially accomodation (room or shared appartment). I will be staying 6 weeks.

Looking forward to hear about your experience of the city as well!!

Have a good day ~~

Hi Manon, I doubt I can help you much.  You make me jealous - LOL- you have a beautiful time ahead of you - should you go to Kyoto.  But first and foremost, put the onus of finding accommodation on your internship sponsor!  They should, as a matter of honour - help you with this.  In fact, I am almost 100% sure they will.  Sorry, I can't tell you apartment prices - as we do short-term house rentals...and they aren't cheap.  But apartment should be much cheaper, try google....In fact try using Google Chrome as your web browser which will auto-translate Japanese websites pretty well.  Many Kyoto real estate websites are out there on the web.  Kyoto is not cheap..but it isn't Tokyo..and compared to France (been there a couple times) you may find it very comparable.  The difference might be the food and transport cost in Japan, which are very reasonable - and at supermarkets - and using cheap buses and trains for transport.  In fact they are all cheaper than here in Australia....and probably France - if you adapt to the local food.  And that food is just as wonderful as France.  Different, but also superb.  Your fellow students and staff will be glad to help you adapt.  Don't worry!

Yes, I am even more jealous since you are a Biology student.  I was, until I retired a couple years ago, a lab manager in a Biology department at an Australian university.  Good luck to you and should you be successful and arrive in Kyoto.  You will definitely fall in love with it.

devilishruby wrote:

Hi,
I am Sahar, from Iran :cheers: , I am a PhD candidate in Computer science. I will travel to Tokyo from 8th May 2017 and will stay there for 6 months as a research visitor in The university of Tokyo. Still I do not have any room/house for stay  :(  and I am looking for female roommate or a sharing house for reducing my costs!

Hi Sahar, in Tokyo - where I also spend a lot of time.  You may find a house, or even sharing a house unaffordable. Certainly would be for me!  Houses are extremely expensive within 30-40 minute train to central Tokyo.  It would have to be beyond Tachikawa for me to even consider living there.  That said, while not cheap - apartments - to keep within a reasonable budget - say 20-30 minutes from central Tokyo - can be found with reasonable rentals.  As a research fellow, I would be demanding that the University of Tokyo assist you with this.  It is certainly, as I am a recently retired university staff in Australia, an unwritten obligation to help foreign students and researchers with this situation.  So email them!!  Send them an email!  They must have the connections to assist you or make a great effort to assist you.  May be a bit away from the campus - but you can use buses and trains very cheaply and dependably.  Welcome to Japan.  Best place on earth.

Hi everyone, I'm Jordan. I'm planning to move in Nagoya maybe mid April or June. I am looking for some International Marketing Partners and Investors who wants to invest in the real estate industry in the Philippines, and new friends too! Hope to meet you all there. :)

Ok, thanks for the invite.  I am one of the very rare foreigners (via my Filipina wife) to actually make money on a real estate deal in the Philippines.  Almost 400% in 15 years...location is everything.  We had a very sharp forward thinking realtor cousin.  In at least 90% of cases, Filipino real estate is a blatant scam, or something that will take many years to make a profit and then there are fees and taxes to consider.  And unless you are married to a Filipina, or - just by chance - own a condo in a minority held filipino complex.  Otherwise - You are not a legal owner.  Realtors, lawyers, and judges will try and scam you out of this absolute truth.  But every legal contest has ended badly for the foreign buyer.  Every single one of them.  When they go to higher courts.
Moral of the story is - never ever buy property in the Philippines.  Unless you have a Filipina wife you can trust completely.  Otherwise - bend over and accept their system will shove it up yours, more eagerly than they do each other.  Nice place for a vacation, nothing compared to Japan though.....Enjoy the visit and leave.

Hi there, my name is John,  looking forward to move to tokyo japan towards the end of April.

Hello all,

My name is Andrea, and I'm moving to Japan in August. I will be teaching in an English Immersion High School in Numazu for a few years. I have never lived anywhere other than the U.S./Texas, but I'm very excited for this move. I'm really trying to make friends prior to my arrival, because I've heard from people who have taught in Japan before, that making friends was one of the biggest challenges when they lived there. I'd also love suggestions on where to visit and social groups I should join when I arrive.

HI

I am Sam from San Francisco.
I will coming to Tokyo this May to work in Tokyo Inst of tech.
I am from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory-Univ of Berkeley. I am a scientist with a PhD in physics. I work on applied physics and physical chemistry
I also have two startups in Silicon Valley
I am a climber (rock, Ice and alpine). I can also climb indoors if it is necessary
I would love to meet people who have similar interest
I am also a swimmer. I used to be in the US masters swim team. So anyone buddy to the swimming pool? Nothing beats a morning swim
I used to do Judo and Aikido (black belt)
I speak six languages but not japanese...yet ;-)
If you wanna chat drop me a line

Thanks

Andrea4884 wrote:

Hello all,

Hello Andrea

Hope this will be amazing journey for you.  I will suggest you to join some  public network events such a as Meetup.com. Internation.og
Wish you good luck

Collwing

My name is Andrea, and I'm moving to Japan in August. I will be teaching in an English Immersion High School in Numazu for a few years. I have never lived anywhere other than the U.S./Texas, but I'm very excited for this move. I'm really trying to make friends prior to my arrival, because I've heard from people who have taught in Japan before, that making friends was one of the biggest challenges when they lived there. I'd also love suggestions on where to visit and social groups I should join when I arrive.

Hello, my name is Rom. I'm 18 years old, a student and (hopefully) moving to Kyoto in September. I'm going through all the embassy process for it (now waiting for the ministry to give me the ok!). If I'm able to move there, I'll be studying Japanese at ISI language school (soon to open) for about a year and a half. Afterwards, (with a N2 by hand!) I'd like to go to a Japanese University. I wish to pursue Illustration, and my goal is definitely Kyoto Sekai (it's been a dream for quite a long time). I've come here as recommendation of a friend, who told me I'd find all types of useful information for when I live there (as I'll be by myself). I'm very excited and truly hoping to get there!

hey , just arrived here in kobe area ...

anyone know of any kitchen jobs going ?

Good Morning Julien

Thank you for your networking informations about Japan.

I am originally from Congo and Ivory Coast, but living and working in the USA where I have been teaching in the fields of African Studies, Postcolonial Studies, Philosophical and Theological studies, Social Ethics, Christian Humanism,  Globalization and Migrations.

I speak French and English and a couple of African languages, but no Japanese at all.

I have been offered a teaching position in a Japanese university and I am looking forward to the adventure...

I would be happy to get any tips, recommendations and advice to make this journey as rich, fulfilling, smooth and peaceful as possible.

Best wishes,

Bien

Thank you so much Charles for your comment and sorry for the late response. My problem was solved.

Hi, I´m Tes and we are moving to Kyoto in September this year, exciting time. We have been living and working for the last 10 years in Asia, mainly Indonesia, Nepal, India, Korea, but the last year we are staying in Portugal. We have set up an international research program for low tech seismic building techniques in developing countries - Smart Shelter Research. We have been invited by the Kyoto University to research rubble stone masonry. We are looking forward to spent some time in Japan! And hopefully I will meet a few of you!

Hi I'm new, I'm Ommy I live in Fukuoka. Nice to meet you all ;)

Hey everyone!
I am been living in Japan with my wife for almost a year now. But unfortunately still have no friends here.

I am an engineer, Russian, 26 years old. Enjoying outdoor activities, soccer, snowboard, exchanging languages. Looking for English and Japanese speaking friend in Nagoya.

Have a great day!

Hi,
I'm Punitha from Malaysia. I just moved to Tokyo on long term assignment and I'm planning to leave near Shibaura area. My daughter and sister will be accompanying me during my stay in Tokyo. I'm going through some mixed emotion currently, excited as well worried.

Punitha

Hi everyone, a newbie here!
I'm Grace, married and I'm from the Philippines.
I've been living here in Yokohama for 8 years now.

I'm a nurse by profession but currently working as an ALT. If by any chance I could be of any assistance (except financially) please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

Shame for me !!! that you are a nurse working in Yokohama as an alt .. If you were married to me you'd be working as a nurse in Ireland and getting a triple salary

Closed