New Expat Assignment possibility: Advice requested

Hello,

I have the opportunity to take an expatriate assignment (3 years) located in Tokyo. A little background on myself, I am a 28 year old single male, and will be in the country by myself. I currently do not speak any Japanese which is my main concern for the assignment. The move would be in a few months, and I do not currently know any Japanese.  This is my biggest concern about taking the assignment. With the limited time I have, I obviously can not learn the language to any degree of fluency, will this be a big problem? I do want to be respectful to the people I encounter, are there any sayings I need to know, or would make my transition easier? Thank you for your help.

Dhanlon wrote:

Hello,

I have the opportunity to take an expatriate assignment (3 years) located in Tokyo. A little background on myself, I am a 28 year old single male, and will be in the country by myself. I currently do not speak any Japanese which is my main concern for the assignment. The move would be in a few months, and I do not currently know any Japanese.  This is my biggest concern about taking the assignment. With the limited time I have, I obviously can not learn the language to any degree of fluency, will this be a big problem? I do want to be respectful to the people I encounter, are there any sayings I need to know, or would make my transition easier? Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum

Perhaps you should look into a simple conversation type language lessons. Check online for something that you may be able to download and listen to.

Hello, Dhanlon,

It must be very exciting/terrifying to come to Japan, not knowing what will be... However, if you are coming to Tokyo, everything should be fine. Japanese may not be able to speak English fluently but they will do their best to help you somehow. It will be ok to just learn simple greetings (hello, good-by, thank you, sorry, etc.) in Japanese before you come. As you stay there, talking with your coolleagues or Japanese friends and watching TV, you will get some Japanese.

If you have any further concerns, just post it here. 

Wishing you the best in Tokyo ;)

Hi

There is only one way if we are living in japan. It is to learn Japanese

Japanese is easy once you learnt about 100 kanji. Speak with the persons who knows a little English. They will help you to learn. And every region or ward has Japanese learning centers organized by volunteers. I advice you to join that on weekends.

With a little consistent hardbwork, you can japanese easily in 6 months

Have a nice time in japan

Japanese is supposed to be easier for Americans to learn than a lot of other languages.  You won't be fluent in a few months, but you probably will be by the time you leave.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm assuming your work environment will be English. If that's the case and you apply yourself, the rest will be easy. I came here 25 years ago not being able to speak a word and I'm still here. Tokyo  has become far more English friendly (signs and such) than it was then. Take the opportunity, come over here and don't be intimidated by the language.

I came to japan six months ago with no japanese. I feel so frustrated the guy at family mart doesnt even know what a SUGAR is. The struggle is painfulll

Why should a Japanese in a Japanese store know what sugar is in English?

Ok you are in the best conditions to come.
The less you know Japanese the more you are appreciated.
the great pleasure of every one here is to showcase their culture.
They are also good in welcoming people.
Also, as long as you don't get too dip into Kanji, Japanese language is really easy to learn.
3 years is enough to have a nice conversation with your neighbor.
And well managed a Japan position can be a good step up in career.
Ok, any time for a little beer in Shibuya.

Books like "Japanese for busy people" may be helpfull to get the basic greetings/conversation down but I wouldn't worry that much. Although I stayed only one week in Tokyo (and yes I want to return and live in Japan) and could only say a few words I got by well. The transport system is bilingual.

Oh and "arigato" is a rather informal way of saying thanks although I often heard them say just "hai" (yes), it's best to say "doumo arigatou gozaimasu" or "domou arigatou". I made that mistake but I did bow a lot so I guess they knew I didn't mean no disrespect as in one shop I got this long respectfull reply after just saying "arigato". :-)

Contactmuna wrote:

I came to japan six months ago with no japanese. I feel so frustrated the guy at family mart doesnt even know what a SUGAR is. The struggle is painfulll

The dude in the store is very probably really bugged by the foreigner who can't be bothered to learn the translation of sugar.

Nagoyablue wrote:

Why should a Japanese in a Japanese store know what sugar is in English?

In Indonesian, sugar becomes gula.
"Gila" works better for people who moan because people in their own country can't be bothered to learn a foreign language.

The arrogance is beyond reason.

I think (hope) he was joking.  :)

I'm a B.com Graduate.
I'm working as a Customer support executive in a BPO, for Electronic Arts.
My work is to Assist Customers via Live chat.

I'm Learning Japanese Language as well. (Just learning since 2 months)

I want to know the opportunities to get job and living in Japan.

I have not done anything Special in my Educations. I'm not Financially strong as well.

But still want to roam out of India.

Any suggestions to make this Journey easy?

Shandhakumar wrote:

Hi

There is only one way if we are living in japan. It is to learn Japanese

Japanese is easy once you learnt about 100 kanji. Speak with the persons who knows a little English. They will help you to learn. And every region or ward has Japanese learning centers organized by volunteers. I advice you to join that on weekends.

With a little consistent hardbwork, you can japanese easily in 6 months

Have a nice time in japan

I'm a B.com Graduate.
I'm working as a Customer support executive in a BPO, for Electronic Arts.
My work is to Assist Customers via Live chat.

I'm Learning Japanese Language as well. (Just learning since 2 months)

I want to know the opportunities to get job and living in Japan.

I have not done anything Special in my Educations. I'm not Financially strong as well.

But still want to roam out of India.

Any suggestions to make this Journey easy?

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : posted on an old topic + off topic