Moving to the Phillippines

Hi,

I plan on moving to the Phillippines early next year. I'm looking to move to Palawan  (or perhapsBohol). I will be visiting in April this year. Are there any expats in Palawan or Bohol who can give me some advice?

Thank you

David

Hello David!   I inquired about Palawan not too long ago and one expat living in Palawan responded.   I too, have been eyeing Palawan as a possible place to live.   It really is up to the kind of lifestyle you are seeking, climate, availability of resources, etc.   I have been to Puerto Princesa once and the town of Aborlan, not far from Puerto....and personally experienced what it would be like living there.   Have you been there?  Personally, Puerto Princesa suits me just fine.   For one, besides the local amenities, beauty, the people...and very important to me...I was told that the Puerto area as well other parts of Palawan do not experience devastating typhoons...unlike in many other parts of the Philippines.   My personal needs are simple, have lived much like the locals, eat local food, and enjoy the local customs during some 17 years I lived in the Philippines.   My next step is to make another trip to visit there...to other parts of the Philippines as well as Palawan...most likely this coming April to coincide with my younger brother's visit.   I need to learn much more about Palawan so I am hoping you get plenty of responses to your query...and valuable information on the areas you are interested in.   I hope you don't mind sharing information you received.  By the way, you mentioned you wanted to move to the Philippines...where from?   At the moment I live in Blaine, Washington state....right at the border with Vancouver, BC, Canada.   

Frederic

Hello Frederic,

I currently live in the Napa Valley in California. I actually lived on Whidbey Island for a year. Not too far from where you are now.

I think I will like the laid back atmosphere and pace on Palawan. From what I have gathered, Puerto Princesa may have the best infrastructure (which pales to the USA. but so it goes). I lived in Argentina for almost two years so I'm not quite a novice about becoming an Expat. I want to go to the Phillippines because it is sooooo much less expensive to live there. I will be on a limited budget, but do have enough to get by. And of course, I do love the beautiful Flilpinas!

I've never been to the Phillipines. I am planning on visiting in April. I will definitely go to Palawan and perhaps one other location TBD.

Your the only one I've heard from. Do you still keep in contact with the other expat from Palawan?

It flooded here yesterday. But, at least it wasn't a typhoon!

Cheers,

David

Hello David!  Great to hear from you.   No, I have not heard from Expats in Palawan since the last reply I received from Puerto Princesa.  The guy was talking about selling property...which I am not ready to go into at that point.   I have to go there first, look around, get a good feel of the place I am considering...then return...as I still have to sell my house in Blaine first....then return for good. 
  I actually lived in California before ending up in WA....went to HS in San Luis Obispo, then college in L.A.   I also spent a few years in the Bay Area....worked at the Presidio of SF, and in between, overseas assignments in the Army (active) then more overseas assignments as a DoD civilian...so like yourself, I had my share of overseas life....Thailand, So. Korea, Japan, Philippines (I was actually stationed in Manila...where I grew up), Germany, France, The Netherlands, etc.   I thought I got traveling finally out of my system after my last overseas assignment (my 3rd) in Germany, 2009 to 2011... but since last year, I started getting that faraway look in my eyes..again.  Then I ran into my cousin last year while he was visiting relatives in Seattle...the one who retired from the AF some years ago....and moved to the Philippines.  He kind of convinced me...about moving to the Philippines.
  So here I am...slowly working my way back there.   Since you have never been to the Philippines...I can help with questions you have about living in the Philippines.   If I don't have the answer...we can find out from other more experienced expats. 
  By the way...why Bohol as one of the two places on your want list?   I am also curious about Bohol....and several other potential locations I am interested in.  I have narrowed down my list to Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Dumaguete on Negros Oriental..and Camiguin Island....a large island just off the shores of Mindanao.   I recently been hearing about Antique province on the island of Panay...as a great, relatively little known paradise.  My younger brother spent a few years there and was pretty much adopted by locals in the town of Culasi....speaks highly of his experience there.  Worth checking into.
  Well then moving on....hope to hear from the expat forum soon.

Fred

Not in Bohol,its a good island but prone to earthquake.. (I believe)

Hi David,

I can provide you with a unique perspective  because of my background.  Was born and lived in the Philippines until after I finished University.  I then moved to Ontario, Canada for about 22 years.  In 2015, after much debate with my young family, I moved back to help run a family owned pharmaceutical company.  My original plan was to stay for 2 years to allow my father to retire and transition the company to an executive team.  However, I ended up being frustrated and left a year earlier than expected.  I don't really know your current situation and your motivation to move.  However, my observations below will apply regardless of where you want to move to within the Philippines;  whether you're going in as a retiree or as a business owner/employee.  It is a great place to visit but another to live in.  Would like to temper your expectations of paradise as there is a price to pay.  FYI, I'm back in Canada  but re-located to Vancouver, BC. 

Here are the caveats (i.e. something you wouldn't even think of when you go for an exploratory visit which I did prior to my move)

1.  Customer Service does not exist. Filipinos do not know the concept.  Especially true in government.  Good f--king luck getting a driver's license or any type of government issued document without a lot of grief.
2. Common sense has simply abandoned this country. Its actually mind boggling. God-forbid you have to run to a McDonalds and ask for a straw  for your takeout coke on their "strawless" day. 
3. Assume everyone is a g-ddam crook until they prove otherwise.  I can honestly say a lot of folks here are just wired that way.  Poverty is a huge motivator to do some god-awful things.  They act like saints, go to church or whatever but don't be fooled by the friendly exterior.  Knife in the back is more common than a lot of people would like to admit.
4. Pollution is inevitable. Palawan (maybe Davao) might be an exception.  As soon as you have to travel to a city, you'll have to expect serious air and water pollution; garbage strewn in the streets.
5. Abject poverty - you just can't avoid this.  The smell, the sound, the sight.  As much as you want to do something about it, you just can't.  It just overwhelms.
6. Typhoons - If you plan to live in Palawan or any of the islands, this is just inevitable.  Make sure you have a go-bag prepared.  Have enough supplies to last you two-three weeks.  That's typically how long it would take their equivalent of FEMA  to provide relief into the remote areas.
7. Health care is expensive.  Health insurance is extremely cost prohibitive.

Just as long as you know what you're getting into then here is what I found worthwhile:

The good:

1. I did not have to check the weather channel once.  It's always hot.  100F hot.  24/7
2. Food is relatively inexpensive and delicious
3. Beautiful women (make sure you read point 3 above)
4. Low cost of living (outside of  major metropolitan areas)
5. I could afford a chauffer,  a maid  AND a nanny (make sure you read point 3 above)
6. Everyday low stress.  If you live outside a metropolitan area and you don't have go through rush hour traffic.  I would say this is the biggest bonus.

If I can make a recommendation of another place, make sure you try and visit Bantayan Island off the coast of Cebu.  Beaches are wonderful, dive spots are great, everything is cheap, and close proximity to Cebu City makes it ideal for year round residency.  Huge European expat community there.  Best Italian restaurant in Philippines is in Bantayan which is owned by an Italian and his Filipino wife. 

Does the good outweigh the bad?  Let me put it this way, I told my dad before I left that the only solution to the problems in the Philippines is to remove every single Filipino and start from scratch.

If you can look past the poverty, the fifth, the sob stories of why you should give them money, the moronic drivers, the sorry sir, no stock, the endless brownouts. You might like it here. A few tips from my experiences:.  Don't never ever marry a Filipina. Don't never trust anyone with your money, keep a firm gripe on your wallet and your cell phone. Don't ride the rail system in Manila, don't use a taxi if the meter is "No working today Sir". Don't try banging more than one Filipina at a time, they are the most jealous woman in the planet...Don't get involved with a Filipina who is married but seperate. If the husband finds out, you could be in a world of hurt.  If you find one you want to stick to, tell her to get a Cenomar for proof of her social status.           On the up side::: any Asian country has a certain magnatismn, I think it's just because of it's a whole different world to what Westerners are accustomed to. You have got to admire the tanacity of the people and their ability to be able to live on next to nothing.....No power..No problem.. Bohol V Palawan....Chalk and cheese. I depends on your disposable income what life style you choose..... Tagaytay on Taal Lake is nice, I've heard Valencia near Dumagete is excellent. Bagio also......There's a lot of nice places with some altitude that makes the weather more suited to us cry babies, but if hot weather is your thing, it's everywhere here.......Oh yeah, did I mention the eye candy..... Phenominal, anywhere you go...

Thanks for the information and I'll heed the warnings.  I'm pretty street smart so I don't plan on doing any of the silly things Americans do while they are in the Phillipines. I did live in a third world country and things got quite precarious at times. Let's just say, I don't part with my money very easily. Basically, I am first and foremost thinking of moving to the Phillippines for financial reasons. I am retiring next year and all I have is Social Security and a small bit of savings. So there is no way I am going to get bamboozled into giving my money away for a sob story.  Yes, I love the Filipina women, but I'm realistic. I realize why they are interested in us old geezers and it doesn't have anything to do with our looks.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the info. Yes I like the eye candy but I'm also practical. i promise not to try and bang two filipinas at the same time. LOL. The heat thing could be an issue especially because it is very humid there. Perhaps I should look for higher altitudes to live in. I haven't decided yet if I will move to the Phillippines or not. I'm looking for a less expensive place to live. California is crazy expensive and I only have SS and small savings. Maybe I will visit in April or is that a really bad time to visit?

Cheers,

David