Best places to live in philippines

  • Page 1 / 3

#1 25 January 2011 14:25:12

Victoria99
Victoria99
Makati

Best places to live in philippines

Hello,

Young mum of 2 and expecting the 3rd in a few months is relocating to the philippines. Neither I nor my husband had been there and so we don't really know what to expect.

We're used to certain standard of life here with the kids in Paris and that is why Makati area seems to me a good place to live from what I've read on the internet.

Heard of other good places like for example Mandaluyong, Ortigas, Fort Bonaficio Global City and Ayala Alabang.

What do you think of these areas ? And what about the cultural shock ?

Also, what is the budget for living with a family in philippine ?

Thanks a lot :)

#2 25 January 2011 17:01:20

solido
solido
Calgary

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Given the fact you have young kids I believe schooling would be a priority for you. This being said Dumaguete or Davao both have great schools, relatively cheap cost of living (housing) and great access to major centers. Davao is much larger than Dumaguete but it also has much to offer in the way of services etc. Check them out.

#3 25 January 2011 17:07:24

solido
solido
Calgary

Re: Best places to live in philippines

I forgot to comment on the cost of living, etc. Makati is very nice and more or less a "bubble" compared to the rest of the Philippines and Manila in general. As such Makati is expensive compared to all other areas. You can expect to require about $2000 US/Month to make ends meet and have a comparative life. Alternatively...in other areas you can expect to require a bit less...maybe $1,500.00/mth. Consider also the start up expenses. Will you need a car/motorbike, furniture, appliances etc, deposits on a rental. All these must be considered. With 2 kids and one on the way I would set aside about $10k US for start up and ensure at least $2k/mth for the Makati area and then go from there.

#4 25 January 2011 21:24:20

Zaphieon
Zaphieon
Davao City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Hi, I have been living in Tagum City for a year now. its near Davao City, a beautiful city here, with plenty of things to do. Traffic isn't that bad compare to the larger city Davao. always festivals going on. very safe area as well.

here is a link to a little guide i put up of Tagum, Has a nice little music video that shows alot of the town off as well.
Tagum City Guide
you can live comfortable in Tagum off of about $700 a month.

Last edited by Zaphieon (25 January 2011 21:26:04)

#7 26 January 2011 11:59:04

Victoria99
Victoria99
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Zaphieon wrote:

np, guess the mods did not like my link to the guide.. if you want to find it just do a search on google I am sure it will come up.

Don't worry... I've bookmarked your website already. By the way, nice design for your website. The young philipina lady in the background sure caught my attention :). You should complete the Visa Information section. Nice job, keep it up !

Last edited by Victoria99 (26 January 2011 12:34:12)

#8 26 January 2011 12:02:20

Zaphieon
Zaphieon
Davao City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

lol..  that photo was added at the suggestion of my father. I had a sunset..  he said.. your target market is older foreigner males.. you should have a girl there on the beach.

Yes I will complete the visa section soon..  I just very busy with my work lately.

so why are you guys moving to the Philippines?

#9 26 January 2011 13:30:56

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

I think all the areas you list are in metro Manila so assume your family is moving there for work? Davao is in the south. If your concerned for your family and need schools, then would stick to makati , rockwell, fort Bon or greenbeltbuntil you get used to philippines. It is a big culture shock. As for budget, it has a wide range up to ph 200k for a nice place in fort Bon.

Good luck

#10 27 January 2011 04:52:09

Victoria99
Victoria99
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Zaphieon wrote:

lol..  that photo was added at the suggestion of my father. I had a sunset..  he said.. your target market is older foreigner males.. you should have a girl there on the beach.

Yes I will complete the visa section soon..  I just very busy with my work lately.

so why are you guys moving to the Philippines?

My husband is quitting business here in Paris and decided he wanted some kind of ... retirement plan at merely 31 years old :) and spent the rest of his life in the philippines. So we, the children and wife, we just follow leader of the family at the other end of the world.

dhnindc wrote:

I think all the areas you list are in metro Manila so assume your family is moving there for work? Davao is in the south. If your concerned for your family and need schools, then would stick to makati , rockwell, fort Bon or greenbeltbuntil you get used to philippines. It is a big culture shock. As for budget, it has a wide range up to ph 200k for a nice place in fort Bon.

Good luck

Thanks for you reply.

Actually, I chose metro manila because I think its the best way to protect my family from the sociocultural shock in addition to the language barrier. Besides, there are good schools and decent medical facilities in the area.

As for having a professionnal activity out there, I doubt it will be possible, again because of the language :( We are french native you see, and I'm the only one speaking some poor english.

Last edited by Victoria99 (27 January 2011 04:53:01)

#11 27 January 2011 05:07:53

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

To ease the culture shock I would stay in these areas: Makati Greenbelt area, Makati Salcedo Village, Fort Bonifacio GlobalCity,and Rockwell.
Someone suggested Davao City which I'm sure is very nice but it's far from Manila, you would have to fly to Manila.Also, you have kids to factor in for their school. I believe there are more international schools in the Makati area.

Rockwell is very nice but very expensive and it's too close to the red light district which I don't care for.

Greenbelt and Fort Bonifacio Global city are also very nice but tend to be a bit expensive as well, plus you don't have that neighborhood feel to them. I like these areas but since you have kids, they might enjoy the Salcedo Village area because of the nice children's park in that area.


My friend has kids and they enjoyed the Salcedo Village area in Makati which is also a 10min walk to Greenbelt. Although it is in the city, it has a neighborhood feel to it. There's less traffic there on the weekends and on Sunday no traffic at all. There's a park in that area called Jaime Velasquez park, it's sort of a "mini central park" and they took their kids their to play almost every day with their dog.
Also, it seems a lot of the wealthier Filipino families live here and their kids were able to meet kids their age to play.
On Saturday, the parking lot is closed off in the park and an organic market is open to the public serving fresh fruits and vegetables and also Filipino and French cuisine. Apparently there's a few French expats in this area as well. They also took their kids to Makati sports club which is a block away for swimming lessons and tennis lessons. It also has a few nice local bistros. So check this place out, your family may like it.

Well, the bottom line is check it for yourself and compare. I think this site is a good place to start. :)

#12 27 January 2011 08:22:15

Victoria99
Victoria99
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Thanks World be Free :)
You've answered nearly all my questions in a single post. I've done some research and Salcedo Village area in Makati seems great. And from what you said about kids' playground and the saturday market, this place in metro manilla is indeed the one that suits us best.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply to this topic! You've been of great help.

#13 27 January 2011 22:57:56

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

I do hope it helps a bit because I know what it's like going to a foreign country and just feel at a lost, even on the most basic necessities. Here's a few more things that help me in Salcedo Village.

Hospitals: Makati Medical Center (5 min drive from Salcedo) this hospital is a bit older then the next two but a decent hospital

or the new St. Lukes Hospital in Fort Bonifacio (10-20min drive depends on traffic, I heard this place is up to western standards so expect to pay a bit more than other hospitals)

Another good hospital is Asian hospital near Ayala Alabang but it's a bit far (30min-1hr drive depends on traffic) It is also considered a hospital on par to western standards.

The 3 hospitals mentioned are considered by far one of the best hospitals in the country. Makati Medical center is the oldest of the three and so may not be as up to date as the other two, such as high tech equipments but nonetheless a good hospital with excellent doctors from what I've been told in the medical community. Also, get buy medical insurance, it's very affordable compared to the US. Or check with the French consulate if your government will cover the expenses.

International banks in Salcedo Village:
Citibank, HSBC

Post Office in Salcedo village: Valero st next to Ministop convenient store, there is also a DHL international carrier across the street next to Starbucks.

Churches in Salcedo: If you're catholic like I am then there's mass every sunday at Paseo Center lobby(this is on Paseo de Roxas ave) at around 11:00 am in front of the McDonalds inside the bldng.

Or if you like a bigger chapel like Greenbelt chapel where I usually go, it's around $1 taxi ride to Greenbelt or 10min walk.

Air lines: I think there's an Air France-KLM office in the RCBC Plaza bldng which is a 5-10 min walk from Salcedo.

Laundry: If there's no service in your bldng, there's quite a few of these around the neighborhood. I forgot the name of it but it's on Valero st. in Salcedo next to the Ministop. They do a great job with decent prices and the ladies there speak english.

Theatres for the kids: Greenbelt

Bookstores for the kids: Greenbelt and a big bookstore near Serendra in Fort Bonifacio (can't remember the name) but huge like a Barnes and Noble in the US.

Well, I can't thing of anything else. I can't give you specifics on the schools though, there are a number of international schools near Makati. I heard from a friend that Poveda is very good, it's near Mega mall(20min-1hr with traffic) from Makati and was well known when the former President Marcos and Aquino sent their kids here. I'm not sure if this is an international school. I also heard Ateneo grade school is also great but a bit far from Makati, 1hr or more with traffic. Ateneo is not an international school but very prestigious.
I've live in New York City for a few years and when I lived in Makati I didn't miss NYC that much, so that tells you how much I enjoyed living in Makati. One thing for sure, the people are so nice and polite. Well, like I said try it out for yourself and take a mini vacation to see if you really like it and then decide. Your may have a different opinion but to me all in all I love this place. :)

#14 13 February 2011 09:18:33

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad
Abu Dhabi - Ruwais

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Victoria99 wrote:

Hello,

Young mum of 2 and expecting the 3rd in a few months is relocating to the philippines. Neither I nor my husband had been there and so we don't really know what to expect.

We're used to certain standard of life here with the kids in Paris and that is why Makati area seems to me a good place to live from what I've read on the internet.

Heard of other good places like for example Mandaluyong, Ortigas, Fort Bonaficio Global City and Ayala Alabang.

What do you think of these areas ? And what about the cultural shock ?

Also, what is the budget for living with a family in philippine ?

Thanks a lot :)

Being Married to a Filipina (our home is in Phils)and have traveled extensively in S.E.A. My advice is to VISIT First.
Have you ever been overseas before ???
Go Look at the areas you would be most interested in living.
Consider the Weather - Do you like hot and humid. Do you want to Live in the Hustle and smog of a Major City. No beaches in Manila. You Could consider the "Summer Capitals" of Phils like Baguio or Tagaytay. Cooler and cleaner certainly better for younger lungs....
Or somewhere within Traveling Distance of Manila but with Beaches and expats like the Angeles ( Subic) area.
Budget depends on whether  you live Local or want Luxury. Say any thing from 1000 to 2000 USD for an expat. Want AirCon ? Power is not cheap. Please also consider security issues and look at the Travel advisories.
VISIT FIRST

#16 17 February 2011 01:09:20

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Victoria99,

Even those of us who have Filipino roots get culture shock whenever we go to PH.

Here are some info I can share with you:-

Accommodation

I don't think $2K (or Php 84K) is enough for a family of 4.... That's just your monthly rent for a 2BR condo (with maid's quarter), 3BR condo expect to pay in the range of $3000 to $4000 a month. On top of your monthly rent, tenants are expected to give 6 months to 1 year rent in advance excluding deposit. The norm in renting a condo in Makati, you are expected to pay up front 1 year lease. Due to competition, that has probably changed but I doubt it since there are a lot of expats working or managing the call centres, engineering firms and other new offices in Manila.

The expats who work in Makati usually have accommodation provided by their employer and therefore it is the employer who pays all incidental moving cost including booking of condos.

School

The international school is at par with European standard education system but it is not cheap. Expect to pay $$$. A friend of mine has a child who went to the international school and had to pay annually $35K (but it was the US employer who paid the school fees) and that was in 1999.

Alternatively, you can send your kids to Ateneo de Manila, its a school where the "elites" of Philippines goes. There is also La Salle. Also you have to note that non-citizen, you will pay more unless you can prove that you have the permanent residence visa or equivalent.

Culture Shock

I live in San Francisco and during my stay in Manila there are times that I'd like the food that I normally eat or at least equivalent. A lot of these ingredients are imported so expect to pay $$$ for your groceries. A french baguette is about $4 a piece or a croissant is about $2 a piece. I remember there is bakery near Glorietta and it was a popular bakery store among the expats. A lot of stuff that you may consider not "luxurious" in your home country are actually considered luxury items, like wine is not cheap in PH. I can buy a nice wine in San Francisco for less than $10 but in the Philippines for the same brand I pay a whopping equivalent of $25+. You order wine in a restaurant in Makati, they charge at least $20 for each glass.

Automobile

Cars are not cheap in PH. I can buy honda accord for $12k with 30K miles in California. In PH - you will pay double the price of that. On top of that, you may ought to hire a driver so that your car won't be carnap or at least taken care of, if you go somewhere.

In PH there is no GPS, so its really frustrating to go around even if you can drive a vehicle. You need a local person to show you around. Helpers who speak good English commands higher pay.

Employment

Native French speaker are actually in demand in PH. You may be able to work as a teacher or a tutor if you are allowed to work.

Other than that, its not easy to find employment. So either you will have your own business or have a masters degree of a reputable school. Or you will be frustrated with boredom.

You also have to consider that its very smoggy in Manila and Makati is a very busy metropolis during the week. The smog in Makati is equivalent to "dangerous level" in California. I've been to Paris though, I thought you can handle the traffic in Manila but Im not sure of the smog.

Healthcare

There are insurances that you can buy for your family. However, the insurance system is actually patterned to the US system, and that means "pre-existing condition" is not covered. You have to check with the French Gov if you are actually covered.

Business
The Philippines or the Filipinos love everything imported. If its made in Europe its even better. I am sure you will figure something out what kind of business you would like to open.

As a rough estimate, to make ends meet for a family of 4 with kids going to school, be prepared to spend $8K a month. That estimate is based on the budget in year 1999 - 2000, you have to consider the inflation.

Although its expensive to live in Makati (really money flies too quick living there) but its a place that you would probably get less of culture shock.

Other cities in the Philippines like Davao and Cebu are 50% cheaper and you can still send your kids to school, without the exorbitant rate that Makati schools command. Also its less traffic, friendlier and greener.

The downside of living in other cities is you are far away from the French Embassy.

#18 18 February 2011 10:39:00

Filipeanut
Filipeanut
San Francisco

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Whew, thanks for all the great input. I was looking into Manila but am now considering Cebu/Davao/Tagum. I know a bit of bisaya so hopefully that will help.

#19 18 February 2011 18:42:47

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

female_expat wrote:

Victoria99,

Accommodation

I don't think $2K (or Php 84K) is enough for a family of 4.... That's just your monthly rent for a 2BR condo (with maid's quarter), 3BR condo expect to pay in the range of $3000 to $4000 a month.



School

The international school is at par with European standard education system but it is not cheap. Expect to pay $$$. A friend of mine has a child who went to the international school and had to pay annually $35K (but it was the US employer who paid the school fees) and that was in 1999.

As a rough estimate, to make ends meet for a family of 4 with kids going to school, be prepared to spend $8K a month. That estimate is based on the budget in year 1999 - 2000, you have to consider the inflation.

Can you please reference the budget that you gave so that it is more credible. It doesn't seem to add up. :)

Your estimate of $8,000/month (assuming this is net income after taxes not gross income) doesn't even cover the $4000/month rent and $35,000/student tuition even if you factor inflation. If she had 2 kids that would be $70K, add the rent of $4,000/month or $48,000 for the year, you would need $118,000, and that's just rent and tuition for 2 kids.

Base on your budget and comparing it to the US salaries, one would need to be between the top 3% and 5% of gross income earners in the US just to pay rent and 2 tuition for 2 kids, in other words, the top 3% of income earners in the US would not survive in Makati, which is hard to believe. Well, if this tuition fee is true, it's almost impossible to send a child to an international school unless a company pays for it or one's salary is close to a gross income of at least $400,000-$500,000 a year to live comfortably.
It's hard to believe that tuition of $35,000 at an International grade and high school school cost as much as tuition at Harvard University which is the most prestigious university in the US.

Tuition for full time students at Harvard University for school year 2010-2011 is $35,568  source Harvard.edu

Income Distribution in the US from mybudget360.

Moderators please do not erase this graph. It is for reference for a healthy discussion.

http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/incomedistribution.png

#20 19 February 2011 08:29:03

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad
Abu Dhabi - Ruwais

Re: Best places to live in philippines

female_expat wrote:

Victoria99,

Even those of us who have Filipino roots get culture shock whenever we go to PH.

Here are some info I can share with you:-


Automobile


In PH there is no GPS, so its really frustrating to go around even if you can drive a vehicle. You need a local person to show you around. Helpers who speak good English commands higher pay.

GPS works EVERWHERE as in Global however what you may mean is there is no "mapping" which is also incorrect. There is very good road maps of Phils especially Metro Manila areas. You can get this -try at roadguide.ph or search for openstreetmaps which is a free online mapping facility. Both of the above work well with Garmin.

Hope this helps.

#21 19 February 2011 09:57:24

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Mr. World be Free,

Have you got a math problem or comprehension problem? Why are you basing a US income bracket, not affording cost of living in Makati? Makati is a financial capital of Philippines. Manhattan New York is the financial capital of USA. You are comparing apples to orange and water to oil...

And where do you live in the US? I live in San Francisco, to have an income of $50k for a single person is a struggle. Most waiters make about $50k more if you include the tips.

A minimum wage in SFO is $11. California may be $8.5 but don't think SFO follows that rule.. There is a city ordinance. On top of that all employers provide mandatory health insurance for all SFO residents.

A studio rent here is about $1500 if you can find something in that range. Parking in the city for early bird is $21 per day. Subway order is in the range of $8 to 12 per 6in combo. You go to Chipotle and you will pay around $12 to 15. I have never been to a chinese take away and just pay $10. My normal order is in the $30 per dinner and that's just chow mein and sweet n sour seafood soup!

The top 3 to 5% earners in USA makes over $250K a year..The top 1 to 2% makes millions to billions..and its the reason why it is being debated who would pay taxes more, the wealthy top 3 to 5% or the middle class like me who can't afford to buy a dilapidated house in San Franciso or even the wider Bay Area.

To buy a house in the San Francisco Bay Area, despite the recession is in the range of $.75 M - that's just 1200 to 1500 sq ft. You are lucky if you find someone willing to sell their house, because a smart SFO homeowner would not sell their house.

Now we go back to the budget for a family of 4 in Makati, i.e Mom + Dad + 2 kids...

Rent for 2 or 3BR - $2.5K (if you are lucky)
Tuition for kids -  $3.0K
Groceries and incidentals - $1.0K
Maid/nanny service -  $ .25K
Automobile -          $ .50K
Leisure/Clothing      $ .75K

There is your monthly $8K. You get the point?

That's the monthly budget to make ends meet of $8K in Makati - you definitely survive in Makati but not to live as comfortably as many would think.

Any California resident would find that $8K, with kids going to private school, a bargain to die for.
The reason I say that is because in this state, parents are struggling to make ends meet, with kids going to public school.

Why do you think some couple are having 2 jobs with kids ended up high in drugs and blah blah blah? Because parents are no longer parents, they have no time for themselves let alone taking care of kids problem.

Victoria99 asked how much would be the cost of living. It is not mentioned that the family is moving for work relocation? And yes those expat being relocated for work in Makati make loads of money.

The reason I say that because I used to live in Makati for my internship. I was intern for less than 1 year for an international engineering firm. The company paid my accommodation, on top of that I receive stipend for $800 dollars to cover for my taxi, food, dry cleaning and maid service and that is just internship.

A full time expat employee, not only receives fat pay check, receives perks and fringe benefits too. Why would an American moved somewhere and make less and pay double taxes (Philippines and USA)?

If a US couple makes $250K, say 35% goes to tax but you forgot that in the US there are so many tax deduction. Even playing golf can be a tax deduction. Assuming that is the income ($250K less [35% - allowable tax deduction of 20% = 15%]). For simplicity :

$250 * 15% = 212.50K annually or $17.75K per month . The figure is the actual income of the top 3 to 5% in USA.

So I dont understand where you got your info from. You obviously dont know anything about tax codes?

FYI, some of the highest income earners ended up not even paying taxes. Why do you think USA is a haven for the wealthy people? Because the wealthy gets wealthier. Americans have to take advantage of the corporate loopholes.

And for your info, I and my spouse have a combined income of $145K a year and we are living pay check to pay check.. You deduct the house plus 2 cars, food, cable, power, property tax, car insurance, health insurance share....you name all the expenses you could think of, and I am proud to say, I and my spouse make that much but we are struggling. And we dont even have kids!

And that is the reason why there's a war on the middle class.

Tuition for college students is in the range of $35K to 70K and that is just California Universities. If you take medicine or law then expect you will pay more... Why do you think why there is a need for student loan reform?  duh duh duh

You get the point now Mr World be Free ? Do you even at least watch the news or do you just play video games?

Victoria99 is not even a yank. She's French and you know French don't live like the yanks do. Yanks just go eat "junk food" or storm a cheap mcdonald.

French have sophisticated lifestyle and that means eating a healthy meal with soup, salad, main course and dessert + great red wine. That's the reason why you dont see many French people have a bulging waistline.

#22 19 February 2011 10:14:22

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

OneForTheRoad,

I dont know what you mean by GPS. I have 3 gps system, garmin for car and garmin for mountaineering, which are now both replaced by just the "motorola android mobile".

Whenever I use my android gps, I just type the destination address or google the company name and it locates where I am and then tells me where to go next. That's what I mean by GPS "global positioning system".

In Manila or Makati, it desn't have that technology at all.

#23 20 February 2011 01:58:36

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Moderators, please allow me to respond to her erroneous statements that’s filling this forum.

Female_expat,
I t seems that I might have touch a sensitive nerve.  Not once did I attack you on your previous post.  Did you notice the word “please” and “smiley faces”  when  asked for references?  Did you noticed,  I asked for a healthy discussion but based on your rhetoric, you seemed a bit ticked off when confronted with  valid questions.  So I will take time to respond and also clarify all the erroneous statements that you have made in your post.

Female_expat : Why are you basing a US income bracket, not affording cost of living in Makati? Makati is a financial capital of Philippines. Manhattan New York is the financial capital of USA. You are comparing apples to orange and water to oil...

World be free:  Yes, I agree that the OP is from France and asking about cost of living in the Philippines but you are from the US, specifically California.  In your post, the currency  you used is the dollar and also the Philippine peso, not the French franc. Therefore, to make the  discussion more meaningful  and that both you and I can relate to,  I used the US income model because I quoted  you in the post not the OP. I did it on purpose  just to make a point because your budget is mind boggling for the average expat in the Philippines.  I should know, because I lived there and worked there with fellow Americans from my company and colleagues from other American companies.
You,  yourself  used American pricing to compare pricing of automobiles in the Philippines. So I guess for you it’s ok to use American comparison’s to make a point because you’re “miss know it all”.  So, why are you basing  automobile prices based on California prices, not an average typical automobile in Paris, France for the Op?.....I’ll answer it for you, it’s because you can relate to it just like you and I can relate to the US income model.  But, what about the OP, can she relate to it, maybe not and no one called you out on that until now because you’re a childish woman that can’t carry a healthy discussion when someone asked you a question.
I will even quote you because it seems you have dementia.
“Cars are not cheap in PH. I can buy honda accord for $12k with 30K miles in California”-Female_Expat

Female_expat: And where do you live in the US? I live in San Francisco, to have an income of $50k for a single person is a struggle. Most waiters make about $50k more if you include the tips.

World be free: I live in NYC, so don’t it even go there and lecture me on what it takes to live in an expensive American city.

Female_expat:  Victoria99 asked how much would be the cost of living. It is not mentioned that the family is moving for work relocation?

World be free: If you really wanted to help her, you would read her post. Because you’re obviously clueless in what she posted, I’ll quote her for you. “My husband is quitting business here in Paris and decided he wanted some kind of ... retirement plan at merely 31 years old   and spent the rest of his life in the philippines. So we, the children and wife, we just follow leader of the family at the other end of the world.”

But,  you just typed away carelessly and gave her the “special expat work relocation budget”

Female_expat: And yes those expat being relocated for work in  Makati make loads of money.

World be Free: These are the kind of generalize statements that get expats into trouble, like getting ripped off…and that’s on a good day……..on a bad day get robbed and killed for their money because according to Female_expat those being relocated for work in Makati make loads of money. Thanks Female_expat for telling the world that we, who are relocated for work in Makati are walking banks. Thanks for the generalization. It’s no wonder foreigners are frequent victims of scams in the Philippines, it’s because of these generalizations propagated by people like you, Female_expat.


Female_expat:The reason I say that because I used to live in Makati for my internship. I was intern for less than 1 year for an international engineering firm. The company paid my accommodation, on top of that I receive stipend for $800 dollars to cover for my taxi, food, dry cleaning and maid service and that is just internship.

World be free:  Well, that’s great you made good money as an intern but please be a bit more humble for the averaged expat. Not all companies are as generous and maybe reckless with spending as your company. This is partly the reason why some US companies go belly up, they are not fiscally conservative.    Wait……did I mention the OP’s husband has a retirement plan in the Philippines  at 31 years old and that the OP isn’t moving  there for work.  Again, I will quote her because you’re so clueless in this discussion that it’s not even funny.
“As for having a professionnal activity out there, I doubt it will be possible, again because of the language   We are french native you see, and I'm the only one speaking some poor english.”

Female_expat: The top 3 to 5% earners in USA makes over $250K a year..The top 1 to 2% makes millions to billions.


World be free:  Please don’t make up statistics that are erroneous and misleading, at least provide some reference instead of pulling numbers out of your a$$. It’s obvious that you didn’t read the graph I posted about income groups in the US,  so here’s reference from a highly respected business newspaper in the US, The Wall Street Journal, that you probably heard of unless you spend most of your time playing video games as I assume, since you asked…

INCOME GROUPS IN THE U.S. from the Wall Street Journal
Median — $25,076
Top 10% — $87,334
Top 5% — $120,212
Top 1% — $277,983
Top 0.5% — $397,949
Top 0.1% — $1,134,849
Top 0.01% — $5,349,795

You are misinforming fellow expats that it’s ridiculous.  I’m quoting  you on this twice.

“The top 3 to 5% earners in USA makes over $250K a year..The top 1 to 2% makes millions to billions-female_expat” 

Are you kidding me, ahhh, hello.  Female_expat, again please stop making fake numbers that’s misleading the forum. If this is the case, we might even have a surplus in the US budget and I mean “might” because the US government is reckless in spending but hey, I still love the country.

Female_expat: Now we go back to the budget for a family of 4 in Makati, i.e Mom + Dad + 2 kids...

Rent for 2 or 3BR - $2.5K (if you are lucky)
Tuition for kids -  $3.0K
Groceries and incidentals - $1.0K
Maid/nanny service -  $ .25K
Automobile -          $ .50K
Leisure/Clothing      $ .75K

There is your monthly $8K. You get the point?


World be free:  It’s funny how you change your numbers when questioned and have no legitimate answer. I’ll quote you on this:

“ I don't think $2K (or Php 84K) is enough for a family of 4.... That's just your monthly rent for a 2BR condo (with maid's quarter), 3BR condo expect to pay in the range of $3000 to $4000 a month by Female_expat

So you went from expecting to pay $3-4,000 to $2,500 and wishing yourself  luck to make the budget.

Here’s another quote you backed away from

“Expectto pay $$$. A friend of mine has a child who went to the international school and had to pay annually $35K (but it was the US employer who paid the school fees) and that was in 1999.” – by
Female_expat

Again, you backed away from $35,000 annual tuition per child.  So, we’ll round that number to $36,000 annually per child to simplify. But,  now  you are saying tuition for 2 kids is $3,000/month or spread out annually $36,000. So, are you saying there’s a discount  for 2 kids. You failed to informed the OP   a realistic budget who’s planning on a retirement  because you are clueless and disregarded her previous post. Please Female_expat,  save face and just own up to your mistake.

Female_expat: If a US couple makes $250K, say 35% goes to tax but you forgot that in the US there are so many tax deduction. Even playing golf can be a tax deduction. Assuming that is the income ($250K less [35% - allowable tax deduction of 20% = 15%]). For simplicity :

$250 * 15% = 212.50K annually or $17.75K per month . The figure is the actual income of the top 3 to 5% in USA.

So I dont understand where you got your info from. You obviously dont know anything about tax codes?

World be Free: Oh my, where should I start! Firstly, you’re ignorant on the income levels again.
“$250 * 15% = 212.50K annually or $17.75K per month . The figure is the actual income of the top 3 to 5% in USA by female_expat

The top 3 to 5 % of earners do not earn this much.

INCOME GROUPS IN THE U.S. from the Wall Street Journal
Median — $25,076
Top 10% — $87,334
Top 5% — $120,212
Top 1% — $277,983
Top 0.5% — $397,949
Top 0.1% — $1,134,849
Top 0.01% — $5,349,795

Apparently, you’re a bit more clueless than I thought so I will give you the complicated NY and NYC tax rates because you questioned me.
There are 5 income tax brackets for New York.

If your income range is between $0 and $8,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 4%.
If your income range is between $8,001 and $11,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 4.5%.
If your income range is between $11,001 and $13,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5.25%.
If your income range is between $13,001 and $20,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5.9%.
If your income range is $20,001 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6.85%.


Here is the complicated NYC (that’s New York City btw because you appear to be ignorant) tax rate.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2010/inc/nyc_ … 50_201.pdf

I’ll assume you know a bit about the federal tax or should I explain that too?


Female_expat: Tuition for college students is in the range of $35K to 70K and that is just California Universities. If you take medicine or law then expect you will pay more... Why do you think why there is a need for student loan reform?  duh duh duh

You get the point now Mr World be Free ? Do you even at least watch the news or do you just play video games?

World be free: As I have stated in my previous post, tuition for Harvard University can be as much as over $35,000 per year, so to attack me with your senseless statement is just absurd. I even reference you Harvard.edu

To add to insult to injury, you even claimed that tuition for college students, (that means undergrad just to make it clear because you are so ignorant), is as high as $70,000 for California universities. This is a laughable statement because according to Forbes magazine in which they publish an annual US most expensive college list, not one US college broke the $60,000 marked for tuition, room and board for 2010-2011, yes that is correct the most expensive US college with tuition, room and board is less than $60,000, far lower than the $70,000 tuition rate that you claim for California universities, I repeat far lower than the $70,000 tuition only rate you claimed.

Here is a list of the top 10 most expensive colleges in the US from  CBS Money Watch as of  Nov. 2010-2011. 
Keep in mind this is tuition, room and board and it still doesn’t surpass the $70,000 mark that you claimed for tuition only.  So, please stop making up numbers.
1.    Sarah Lawrence College……………..$57,384
2.    Landmark College……………………..$56,500
3.    Columbia U. School of Gen. Studies……$54,782
4.    Wesleyan University…………………………$53,976
5.    Columbia University…………………………$53,874
6.    Johns Hopkins University…………………..$53,690
7.    Georgetown University……………………..$53,591
8.    New York University…………………………$53,589
9.    Harvey Mudd College……………………….$53,588
10.    Barnard College………………………………$53,496

Female_expat: “Victoria99 is not even a yank. She's French and you know French don't live like the yanks do. Yanks just go eat "junk food" or storm a cheap mcdonald.

French have sophisticated lifestyle and that means eating a healthy meal with soup, salad, main course and dessert + great red wine. That's the reason why you dont see many French people have a bulging waistline”- by female_expat

World be free: I think these last statements that you’ve made truly defines how childish and immature you are. Not once did I attack you culturally or incite any disdainful remarks about another country, and I won’t do it. Who made you the French ambassador and speak for all of France now. If you dislike Americans so much, why are you here in America? GTFO, go back to the Philippines then, and we’ll see if you still hate America and we’ll see if you can still make the same amount of money you're making now. Wait….I know the answer, there’s no way you’ll do it because America is the best thing that happened to you.

So what if we eat at McDonald’s, well so does the rest of the world. And I bet you,…. one of the first things a lot of the expats do that are afraid to try the local cuisine is to look for a local McDonalds if they get tired of the hotel food or don’t want to be adventurous and try the area restaurants when  they first arrived in the Philippines.  As for me I like the local cuisine.

If you like the Frenchl lifestyle so much over the American lifestyle, why don’t you move to France instead of attacking our American lifestyle. This is one of the saddest things when a person complains and complains about the country that she lives in and puts it down over another country but yet, won’t admit that she really loves the same  country she is putting down.
I feel sorry for you because you are ignorant. Please save the world and don’t have any children. I expect you to reply so keep it coming. I’d love to see the next idiotic post you make. It really makes me laugh.:lol:

#24 20 February 2011 09:06:56

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

World be Free,

You are somewhat assuming or deducing my statement and added words to my statement too. If you continue doing that in your daily activities, you will one day land in legal trouble, not from here, but definitely one day. Just in case you say I am threatening, it is not, but I am stating in general.

Let me correct you that the currency in France is no longer French franc. France is actually a member of European Union and has changed the "franc" to "Euro" few years ago. Now it shows you are quite  NOT informed about current affairs.

Dollar is being used as an "international currency" and that's the reason I used dollar, because we all know that. Victoria99 can convert  dollar to her euro currency. Victoria99 is smart enough to convert a currency.

I quoted dollars for the car pricing because the car tax alone to own a car legally in the Philippines has a tax rate of 150 to 200%. It does not matter if the car is used car or brand new. Car owners pay taxes and VAT, on top of the car's market value.

So in reality, it cost more to own a car in Philippines than any US cities. Automobile is considered a "luxury" item in PH and in USA it is considered a “necessity”.   
What I am emphasizing is, owning an automobile in the Philippines cost more than owning a car in industrial world. Get it?

NYC tax rate is not a federal tax rate but a state tax so do not even include that. Every state has their own state tax, sales tax, etc. Obviously you don't do your own taxes.

You don't need to explain to me what is federal tax because my job is in the accounting field. The wealthy in the US gets wealthier and the poor gets poorer and that’s a proven fact. How do you explain the more wealthy people climb up wealthier despite the recession?

The wealthy can sometimes not pay taxes because of the corporate loophole and allowable tax deductions, that many countries do not have.  Mortgage interest is not a tax deduction in EU, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ and many advanced countries.  I know this as I studied in Australia and UK.

I'll give you an example, a property tax and mortgage interest are tax deductions, while those who are renting do not have this kind of tax deduction. Therefore if a taxpayor is supposed to pay tax the year xxxx of $ 75,000. That 75K is not the actual tax because CPAs deduct interest and property tax and other allowable expenses. As a result of perks catered to the wealthy, a high income earner pays an average of just 10 to 15% tax after filing income tax return.

We are talking about Victoria99 moving to the Philippines and I will not back down when I suggested that the "realistic" monthly budget to make ends meet in Makati for a family of 4, in order that Victoria99 can maintain her French standard lifestyle, is $8K. Victoria99 has NOT stated that she intends to live like a local Filipino.

Perhaps you may need to study "law", because you are literally putting words into my statement when I havent made such statement. For example the statement about the condominium (has Victoria99 mentioned how many bedroom ?), the kids tuition (Did Victoria mentioned that all her kids are going to school?). So why would you assume Victoria99 is going to rent 3BR and why would you assume that Victoria is sending 2 kids in school immediately? You dont even know that the younger child is still a toddler.

If I state that $8K monthly budget to live a lifestyle like the French standard, that is based on 1 child and 2BR.... And that's the reason I stated “to make ends meet”. That is up to Victoria99 to add more $$$ to her budget.

Before you blah blah Mr. World be Free, you need to read the original post and get to the facts. You also need an "attention to detail" and answer accordingly based on the facts given. You are not supposed to assume. You know, many people get into trouble for "assuming".

Here are the facts from Victoria99,

- family moving to the Philippines
- has kids with one on the way (age not given)
- husband is in the 30s with business

The facts not given:

- how many kids are already in school (not given)
- how many bedroom of condo 1BR, 2BR, 3BR (not given)

My statements:

-  "....I don't think $2K (or Php 84K) is enough for a family of 4.... That's just your monthly rent for a 2BR condo (with maid's quarter), 3BR condo expect to pay in the range of $3000 to $4000 a month. ... "

It's clearly stated:

- 2BR rent is $2K
- 3BR rent in the price range of $3000 to $4000


Based on that statement, where did I say "So you went from expecting to pay $3-4,000 to $2,500 and wishing yourself  luck to make the budget".

First of all, Victoria has never mentioned that she would get a 3BR condo. I quoted the rent + incidentals of 2BR condo rent.

World be free:

"Again, you backed away from $35,000 annual tuition per child.  So, we’ll round that number to $36,000 annually per child to simplify. But,  now  you are saying tuition for 2 kids is $3,000/month or spread out annually $36,000.

here's my answer
Victoria has not mentioned how many kids are in school. She has not mentioned if the kids are already going to school. To factor education, the tuition fee for 1 child is -  $3.0K per month or $36K per year (there are 12 months in 1 year).

Where did I say “special expat work relocation budget” ?. My statement was (in bold):

"Now we go back to the budget for a family of 4 in Makati, i.e Mom + Dad + 2 kids...

Rent for 2 or 3BR - $2.5K (if you are lucky)
Tuition for kids -  $3.0K
Groceries and incidentals - $1.0K
Maid/nanny service -  $ .25K
Automobile -          $ .50K
Leisure/Clothing      $ .75K

There is your monthly $8K. You get the point?
"

Victoria99 clearly stated “maintaining French standard o f living”.

The rent for a studio condo in NYC is from $3K. Please note my quote "from 3K". I didn't say that is the cost of rent. So dont twist my statement. And so to compare that to Makati standard:

$ 3K - 4K for a 3BR in Makati VS $ 3K studio in NYC...dont you think that the Makati cost of living is much lower? How much do you think for a 3BR condo in NYC, obviously its not $3K a month?

And so to have a budget of $8K monthly, with kids going to "private" school and NOT public school...that is a very good deal.

As for many industrialised world, $8K monthly for a family of 4...I doubt that the family is sending their kids to private school...that is so unheard of.

So World be Free, you obviously have a comprehension problem and I have now suspected that you do not have "attention to detail" which is a must have quality to keep a job in USA.

And I'm sorry, let me correct you, I do not hate USA. I never stated anywhere in my comments that I hate USA. You assume that yourself. I am stating a fact and I have right to do so.

Even if I say I dont like the war in the middle east, to which USA taxpayers are funding the 2 wars (Afghan. & Iraq)-  that doesn't constitute that I hate USA. 

You speak like a republican tart. It is common in your world that any dissenting views about USA are taken like “hating the country”. I have lived in other countries, I lived and educated in Australia (10 years) and I studied in UK for a year…  and I criticize if I view a statement that is not right…it does not mean and constitute hate! I am sure you have your own fair share of criticizing USA.

And for your info, I have worked in Dubai, UAE. If I am going to prove who has been the real expatriate.. I can prove that. I have lived in many countries. So don’t say America is the best thing that happened to me. That’s the problem with so many Americans – the people has not travelled to other countries that it has an automatic assumption of “USA – the best”. Yes USA is the best country if you compare that to many 3rd world countries - there is no doubt!

Do not assume that everyone who live in the US has only been in the US.

We do not show our resume or CV in this forum.

Did I put down USA over another country? Prove that!

It is so true that many French eat real food and its the reason why many French do not have a bulging waistline. Because many yanks encourage eating junk food that the country has now the problem of "OBESITY". Who do you think will pay for their bulging waistline? I certainly do not think it is fair to pay taxes to cover the expenses of those who deliberately not taking care of themselves.  USA is a country with many activities, sports and outdoors. There aren’t any excuse for bulging waistline.

Criticism should be taken a consideration so we can make room for improvement and NOT accusing people of “hating”.

Good grief – you are a piece of work!

But you know what, the topic of this forum is...Victoria99 requested for a cost of living budget in French standard. I posted my realistic budget, and I have answered your question about the reference.

Did I say Im going to save the world by not having a child? Prove that!

My grandparents fought WWII and has served this country – what makes you think that I need to go back to PH?.  What have your grandparents done ?

And who said that I am going to speak for all French now? Prove that!

Oh my golly, you need some attitude adjustment.

During my internship, I was given a monthly stipend. Stipend is NOT a salary or Wage. Stipend is almost equivalent to “allowance”. And my stipend is only $800 monthly – and that’s a low amount if you considered that a paycheck. You just shown here that you have a vocabulary problem too… duh duh duh

There is only 1 member here that show childishness and that is YOU. If not childish, you are ignorant at best.

I'd love to see your next "out-of-detail" or moronic post you are going to make. I'll let the members decide who is the mental human being here.

Did I make you laugh ? Or you just think that you are superior because you think Americans are "superior" than others ?

#26 21 February 2011 02:08:02

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Female_expat,

Please shut the hell up and read the post from the OP! If you really cared about helping her, you would read her entire post.


These are your exact words and shows how clueless you are in posting. And......ah NO, I'm not changing your words as you once again attacked me. Just read what you wrote, you are so clueless.

female_expat wrote:

Victoria99 asked how much would be the cost of living. It is not mentioned that the family is moving for work relocation?

And this is what the OP posted earlier in her post.
So, I don't really know what you're trying to prove.
Just admit you are clueless in the discussion and everything will be fine. I will forgive you for making fun of Americans.

Victoria99 wrote:

My husband is quitting business here in Paris and decided he wanted some kind of ... retirement plan at merely 31 years old :) and spent the rest of his life in the philippines. So we, the children and wife, we just follow leader of the family at the other end of the world.



As for having a professionnal activity out there, I doubt it will be possible, again because of the language :( We are french native you see, and I'm the only one speaking some poor english.

#27 21 February 2011 02:45:08

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Female_expat,

I will forgive you for what you said about Americans if you apologize and admit that you were wrong in the OP's discussion and that you are sorry for being an internet bully.

I will forgive you for making these statements about Americans. 
And if you still want to be the French Ambassador and speak for the great country of France, well that's fine with me.:)

female_expat wrote:

Victoria99 is not even a yank. She's French and you know French don't live like the yanks do. Yanks just go eat "junk food" or storm a cheap mcdonald.

French have sophisticated lifestyle and that means eating a healthy meal with soup, salad, main course and dessert + great red wine. That's the reason why you dont see many French people have a bulging waistline.

I will also forgive you for telling the whole world and making generalize statements like these that you made that could put expats in the Philippines in precarious situations such as getting robbed or killed for their money.

female_expat wrote:

And yes those expat being relocated for work in Makati make loads of money.

#28 21 February 2011 08:46:29

Yud
Yud
Sydney

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Hello World be Free & Female_Expat :)

First of all, your arguments & counter arguments are making this thread to become offtopic.

Can we clarify some of the misleading information in a calm way, without insults/offensive wording.

Thanks you for your kind comprehension. And I wish you all a very nice day ahead.

#29 21 February 2011 09:15:22

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad
Abu Dhabi - Ruwais

Re: Best places to live in philippines

female_expat wrote:

OneForTheRoad,

I dont know what you mean by GPS. I have 3 gps system, garmin for car and garmin for mountaineering, which are now both replaced by just the "motorola android mobile".

Whenever I use my android gps, I just type the destination address or google the company name and it locates where I am and then tells me where to go next. That's what I mean by GPS "global positioning system".

In Manila or Makati, it desn't have that technology at all.

Yes,Well maybe yours dosn't but you can (if you know how) get maps at least for the Garmin GPS that are auto routing and work VERY WELL in Manila. Its just a question of understanding the technology.

#30 21 February 2011 17:36:01

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

World be Free,

I do NOT have to ask any apology from anybody specially to you.

You are absurd and actually now accusing me of

"....made that could put expats in the Philippines in precarious situations such as getting robbed or killed for their money...."

What are the statements I made about Americans that constitute hate to you? It is so unclear to me.

".... making these statements about Americans..."

If there is anyone who must apologize to the whole world, it must be YOU.

You are twisting sentences and phrases. You do not understand a statement based on its "literal" meaning. You probably flank in your law subjects if indeed you have a degree!

My original statement emphasized, that to  live in Makati and maintain the French Standard of Living, one must have a minimum of $8K, to make ends meet.

#31 21 February 2011 17:59:24

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

OneForTheRoad,

Im not sure if we are on the same page.

If you talk about finding the landmark areas, it shows on the map. However typing the exact address, gps wont take you exactly where it is with 95% accurracy, gps do not have driving or walking direction.

If you have that map that provide driving and walking direction - then you might as well share that and I can have a look at it.

#32 22 February 2011 04:00:35

World be Free
World be Free
Makati City

Re: Best places to live in philippines

female_expat wrote:

World be Free,

I do NOT have to ask any apology from anybody specially to you.

Thanks Female_expat, Bravo!
I agree with you. You don’t have to ask any apology from anybody specially me.
Wow, at least we agree on something. The moderator wants us to stay on topic. Now, can we be friends.:)

#35 24 February 2011 06:46:30

riameme
riameme
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Hi! I suggest Fort Bonifacio Global City. There are available condominiums in the area. It is very accessible to the malls such as Bonifacio High Street and Market Market. There is also a nearby private hospital. Since you have kids, you can enroll them at the international schools within the vicinity.

#36 11 March 2011 01:14:45

meduso99
meduso99
Georgetown Florida

Re: Best places to live in philippines

I say both of these people are intellects, very smart in verbage, with several good points, but also I believe they need to get a room to sweat it out for an hour or so, and i am sure they will become best of friends with benefits..
    Smart results, smart ideas, but my family has a home in bacolod, we have 6 PAID propertys in all, and have figured out we can live on 1k a month.. Wow you say, but honestly it can be done if you budget yourself, and use your smarts. Of cors it would be higher if I was in makati or manila.

#37 11 March 2011 06:52:51

TeacherSumi
TeacherSumi
Taguig

Re: Best places to live in philippines

riameme wrote:

Hi! I suggest Fort Bonifacio Global City. There are available condominiums in the area. It is very accessible to the malls such as Bonifacio High Street and Market Market. There is also a nearby private hospital. Since you have kids, you can enroll them at the international schools within the vicinity.

I could also suggest this area too.It is near in Makati City. Metro Market Market is a good mall, where you can buy affordable things, with quite big supermarket,and fastfood chains too.
Also in Global City, you can find S & R supermarket.

#38 11 March 2011 08:55:15

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

I have a garmin unit and downloaded a free map.  Yes it does work, but what it wont help with is the roadblocks, rerouting, wrong way traffic, etc that is part of Manila roads. Best to have it as a back up and not rely to heavily on it.


OneForTheRoad wrote:

female_expat wrote:

OneForTheRoad,

I dont know what you mean by GPS. I have 3 gps system, garmin for car and garmin for mountaineering, which are now both replaced by just the "motorola android mobile".

Whenever I use my android gps, I just type the destination address or google the company name and it locates where I am and then tells me where to go next. That's what I mean by GPS "global positioning system".

In Manila or Makati, it desn't have that technology at all.

Yes,Well maybe yours dosn't but you can (if you know how) get maps at least for the Garmin GPS that are auto routing and work VERY WELL in Manila. Its just a question of understanding the technology.

#39 11 March 2011 09:11:45

dhnindc
dhnindc
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

Since I have just moved here, will give my 2 cents on costs.

3 br condo in Fort B. Low end is p90k (Boni ridge) to P220k at Pacific Plaza or Essensa. For Rockwell, p150k for hidalgo. Greenbelt residences slightly higher. So avg p150k for a nice 3 br 170sqm condo. And yes you need to pay 12 months up front, 1 month deposit if rent less than p100k/month.

You can buy a new Honda CRV for about p1.4 million ($33k), I  dont know how much they cost in the states now. They had a big flood in 2009 in which 70% of Manila was flooded so be careful on used cars.

Dont have kids so dont know cost of schools. I hear the school in Alabang is nice and a lot cheaper than the Makati/Taguig city schools.

St Lukes Hospital, just to go over for a flu visit, cost p650 ($15) not including medicines.

For utilities, RP is the highest in SE Asia. My colleague says he averages p12k ($300) in summer. Cable and internet are a little lower than in US.

For gas, its p47 per liter, so a bit more than $4 per gallon.

For me, I cook a lot and dont go out so cheaper. However, quality of meat is much poorer. Veggies are not so nice as compared to those in US (I shop at Market Market). The Rustums in Rockwell has a better selection.

This is an upper middle class lifestyle as if compared to US. I lived in LA and DC, but have been out since 2002.

#40 12 March 2011 06:19:25

female_expat
female_expat
Makati

Re: Best places to live in philippines

dhnindc wrote:

Since I have just moved here, will give my 2 cents on costs.

You can buy a new Honda CRV for about p1.4 million ($33k), I  dont know how much they cost in the states now.

I drive 2011 Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid - you can now buy this for  $29K+ and at the dealership they give you $1K rebate and if you qualify for another $1K incentive... And for those who kept their credit under control and frugal during the boom time - are enjoying the low interest rate.

Toyota Highlander usually upper $33K and cost more for limited edition, and CRVs are usually mSRP $22k - even have better deal...

I wonder how much is it in Manila to buy a hybrid?

  • Page 1 / 3

2 members online in the Philippines

Expatriate health insurance Philippines
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines.
>> Click here
Expat banking Philippines
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Philippines
A few tips from professionals about moving to Philippines.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Philippines
Don't worry and travel happy across Philippines.
>> Click here