Pets in Rwanda

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Rwanda have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Rwanda? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Rwandans think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Many of us in Rwanda have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us! Yes, I used to have a dog.

What are the formalities to import pets in Rwanda? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine? I'm not sure on importing pets in Rwanda.  I would ask this question to Kigali Life yahoo group and facebook groups
What do Rwandans think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?
Rwandans are quite uncomfortable with dogs unfortunately.  Something to do with an old rwandan saying of one turning out to be a dog as meaning a useless, worthless person.  Has created negative attitudes to dogs, such that an NGO WAG Kigali has stepped in to rescue abandoned, mistreated, unwanted dogs.  They really encourage people (especially expats) to adopt a dog.

Hi. Please can you let me know the formalities to importing a pet to Rwanda.

We are importing a miniature schnauzer from Cape Town to a family in Rwanda. I have read that I need to apply for a import permit from Dep of Agriculture. Is this correct? Any other advice would be welcomed to make it a smooth journey for the little pup.

Thank you