Buying property in Rwanda

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Rwanda?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Rwanda?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

Hello Christine,

There is nowhere in the world it is easy to buy properties for foreigners like in Rwanda!

We welcome you!

I would like to know the same thing Christine.  Yessam - yes Rwanda is very welcoming but is it legal to purchase and own property in your own name and right as a foreigner in Rwanda?

Of course it is legal. What you do is to register your property within the government (Notarial's office) which will register the selling & buying act and you're done! Let me know once you are in Rwanda and you want to buy something, because you may meet bad guys and become a victim. Good luck.

Hello,

If you want to build a house (normally cheaper than buying), contact Pascal Habimana, [email protected]

Esp. look the property (house or land) is free of charges, and the one who is selling is really the owner. 

Verify at the district who is the owner, and ev. contact all the banks if there is still a debt garantied by the property. 

greetings
Frank

It is possible and legal to buy and own property in Rwanda as a foreigner, but like my colleague mentioned on the blog, you need to identify the right people to take you through the right procedures. [email protected]

Thank you for your opinions, unfortuantely that is exactly what they are - your opinion, which may be correct but I need definitive and legal evidence of this.

Can anyone give me a link to a government website that shows it is 100% legal.  I am not looking for anyone to assist with a purchase I am looking for real proof that it is legal for a foreigner to buy and have full title to a property and what is required from the foreinger in order for this to happen.

All countries have certain criteria and investment requirements in order for foreigners to be allowed to buy property, it is that information that I am looking for.

Thank you.

You may need to check this website! amategeko.net/index.php?Parent_ID=327&Langue_ID=An]http:

Thanks yessam, unfortunately that does not appear to be a valid website link.

The site is down, i will keep looking and inform you when it is back. http://www.amategeko.net/index.php?Parent_ID=364

Here are other websites that can help you!

http://rwanda.usembassy.gov/investment_climate_.htmlhttp://www.millenniumlawchambers.com/in … y-transfer

Thank you yessam

Hi all,

As said above, a Foreigner can buy a property in Rwanda. I myself own a piece of land.

Is it complicated? Well, it might be complicated for you to select the best land, the right owner, etc. but it is easy to register with the government once you have bought the land or the property.

Hereafter some steps (not exhaustive)

- Select the property
- Ask for property registration papers and their tax payments (all the properties are registered with nlc.gov.rw)
- Go to district land center and check whether the owners are really those legally registered;
- Go to rdb (rdb.rw) and check if the property does not serve as collateral or guarantee or mortaged in any loan (now, all new loans and mortgage are required to have a certificate from that organization)
- Require the vendor to change the name of the owner to yours before paying; (make sure all vendors sign in case the property is owned by a family or many persons)
- Pay the monies
- Make a certification of the payment act and the contract;

And you are done.

For further information, do not hesitate contact me.

Regards,

David

Dear Yessam and dear all,
I hope this Forum is still active!!! :)  I bought a property (Land) in Kigali about five years ago! was registered with a Notary and all went fine. I was about to start building my house. Now I have been told that my property has been expropriated! This news was told by the head of the district including that all neighbors have already accepted compensations and that the decision is final. Will I loose everything or can I make a recourse so that I can stop the procedure and have the time to see if it is all regular??
Any help on this is most welcome!! :/

HI Mike1952 > You may also start a new topic on the Rwanda forum.

yes you can.
[moderated: no free ads please]

Thank you BobVan, indeed the gov paid already all the neighborhood, and the price are giving to us is quite good so we accepted. Hope all goes well. I keep you posted. :|

Want to buy land in kigali, does anyone know agents who can help me?

Hi KgomotsoT,

Welcome on board :)

I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Land for sale in Rwanda section :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hello Maximilien

I have already found something as im currently in Rwanda.

Thank you.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Everyone,
I do not know if this topic is still open but I would like to buy a house/land in Rwanda in the coming months and need advise on the 49 year lease from the government. How does it work? After the 49 years, what are the conditions? Let's say I buy a bungalow or a duplex in 2020, what happens in 2069, do I need to pay a certain amount to extend the lease for another 49 years?

Also, I am not resident in Rwanda and feel the easiest way for me to get a house there is to buy. I saw a previous post which talked about building being cheaper than buying a built-house, any ideas on that?

I know it's many questions but I need help as I really need to make a decision soon on which country I need to get property in.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Dear Prince,
good evening, I first and foremost would like to encourage you in your decision to move to Rwanda. For the land lease law you will be aware that it depends on the land use of the piece of land in question as it appears on the master plan.It is now 20 years for lands destined for residential purposes. After the 20 years, the kind of land title contract will be renewed, you will still own that land provided you pay taxes.

Regarding buying a house or building it your own way, in most cases building it is much more cheaper. nevertheless, there might be exceptions but that should be handled with proper attention.
hope it helps,
JP

Hello everyone.
I just visited Kigali for the first time and even though I only spent 4 days there I want to buy a house there ASAP. I will appreciate any useful tips.

Thanks in advance.

Ali.