Dealing with homesickness in Gambia

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Gambia can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Gambia? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi, you asked for personal experience on how to deal with homesickness. Each individual  will be homesick for different reasons.
Mostly it's missing loved ones back home so make sure everyone has a smartphone with plenty of Apps that allow free calls just using your Megabytes, I call my family most days. Some networks will try to block these so also add a VPN to protect your apps being blocked, Hotspot shield vpn is a good one, you can download it off the web or your App Store.
Lots of supermarkets such as Right Choice and Alvihag stock items from abroad especially from UK, even the smaller shops do, I buy  Tesco coffee from one.
But the best way to deal with homesickness is to "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and integrate. Make friends with your neighbours, local shopkeepers and don't try to live your life as if you were in Europe, after all isn't that why you left, to find somewhere different?.

hi Priscilla,best cure for homesickness and loneliness is to forget about yourself and make  friends you can trust,not friends born out of desperation.Gambia likemost African countries can overwhelm you if you dont stand strong.That aside living away from home can only make you a better person,David,,