Clothes Shopping for Westerners

Anyone able to tell me where I can get buy some shirts and trousers\jeans in HCMC?

I'm not big by western standards but struggling to find stuff in my sizes here. 34inch waist. 16.5inch(42cm) collar and 42inch (109cm)chest.

You can find those sizes at any of the Co-Op Marts. 

http://www.saigon-gpdaily.com.vn/dataim … 20coop.jpg

You can also go to Tax Thuong Xa, at the corner of Le Loi and Nguyen Hue.

http://www.twip.org/image-southeast-asi … 21634.html

There's shoe vendors there that carry larger shoes, up to 46 or 47's, also.

For dress shirts I recommend Viet Tien.  The store at the corner of Nguyen Đình Chieu and Cao Thang is pretty good. 

http://www.tiepthihangchatluong.com/upl … 3491_1.gif

Make sure the store has the red logo displayed in the front.  There are counterfeit Viet Tien stores all around.  You get what you pay for here and clothes can be a little pricey.  Most of the cheap clothes I have bought have been made with cheap thread and buttons.  They fall apart in no time.

You can go to Saigon Square on Nam Ki Khoi Nghia street Dist.1

Cheers wideawake much appreciated just taken a wander out to a couple of and all look ideal for what I'm after :-)

Viet Tien also have a shop inside Tax Thuong Xa. I discovered after wandering up to Nguyen Đình Chieu. Any reason why you use that one? I didnt look at price's in Tax Thuong Xa so no idea if they are similar.

Upsidedown I'll check out Siagon Square next time I'm down that way. Thanks for the info.

laidbackfreak wrote:

Cheers wideawake much appreciated just taken a wander out to a couple of and all look ideal for what I'm after :-)

Viet Tien also have a shop inside Tax Thuong Xa. I discovered after wandering up to Nguyen Đình Chieu. Any reason why you use that one? I didnt look at price's in Tax Thuong Xa so no idea if they are similar.

Upsidedown I'll check out Siagon Square next time I'm down that way. Thanks for the info.

No problem.

I use that store because the service has been good and it's near my house.  The prices are probably the same.  A long sleeved, white dress shirt runs 350K VND.  They also have thinner material that's 250K, I think. 

On Cong Quynh, which is near the Viet Tien on NDC, there is a Co-Op Mart.  On down towards Pham Ngu Lao/Nguyen Trai there is a store called something, something, Hanoi.  They have bigger sized boxer shorts/underwear, which are hard to find.  The service there is pretty bad though and some of the clothes I bought there came apart.

When the time comes that you need shoe strings, get them from a shoe shine boy/man.  You won't find them in the shoe shops or dept. stores.  Took me a day to catch onto that one.

WideAwake wrote:

When the time comes that you need shoe strings, get them from a shoe shine boy/man.  You won't find them in the shoe shops or dept. stores.  Took me a day to catch onto that one.

Talking of which any ideas where I can get some shoes re-heeled? I've seen a few guys doing repairs to bags of shoes on the street, but wasn't sure if they were repairing to resell or not?

I'm not sure about that.  There's a guy at Bui Vien and Tran Hung Dao that makes shoes.  He may re-heel them as well.  If you go there through the day he should have shop set up.

Cheers will check him out.

I owe you a beer :-)

You can go to the new Russian Market at 225 Ben Chuong Duong (Central Garden building) they have many size and the bigger the size is, the cheaper the price.

Saigon Square used to be good but not any more, very crowded and their price is unreasonable

you can go to the Nguyen Trai St, there many fashion's shop, you can choose sets to suit yourself.

I also appreciate this info...as it will apply to me soon...
My Reeboks from Bandung Indonesia are falling apart after 3 months of normal wear... so I'm not surprised at some inferior quality with Vietnamese apparel...Notwithstanding... the prices are much much lower than in the US...

I'm also a big fan of white dress shirts.... and buy them by the dozen from a tailor... this may be the easiest to do as I will hand him one of my existing shirts to clone... 6 long sleeve...6 short sleeve...consistency is important and only a tailor can accomplish this...

Some really useful gen here everyone, thanks... im 197cm tall with 34W, 34L and 42chest... some of the cheap clothes are ok last a few weeks, but i prefer some stuff to last a bit longer... cant find a decent shoemaker though!