Polyclinic visit

Just thought I'd post a quick note about my first Polyclinic visit while it's fresh in my mind, in case it's helpful to anyone else.

Back in October I needed a routine blood test, so my local Doctor (who I saw privately) referred me to the Mosta Polyclinic (Government Health Centre), which is right next to the Mosta Dome. There was a 2 month waiting list - but as it was a routine test I thought I'd wait and try out the free system - I don't know how quickly or how much it would have cost privately.

So my appointment was for 7:30 this morning. I got there at 7:15 - about 10 people already in line at reception (on the 1st floor). Reception looked at my orders from my Doctor and checked me in and gave my number...17 and told me to go down the hallway to the right and wait. There were lots of people already there - standing room only and no signs or anyone saying what was going on. After about 15 minutes there was some commotion and people all moved forward - luckily a local told me what was going on...there was a line into a room where you gave them your Doctors Orders and they would give you the requisite number of vials and completed all the labels that go on them. They also checked my Malta ID. The line was first come first served - so a bit chaotic - at this point I wasn't really sure why I had been given a number! A security guard was somewhat keeping order. After about 15 more minutes it was finally my turn and I got my vials and was told to go to "Room Number 10". It was now about 7:45 AM

There was a long quese for Room Number 10. However, after a while it became apparent they were admitting people based on the number, so the queue jumping that took place in the previous line was to no avail. I queued for about another 45 minutes until No. 17 was called at which point I went into Room 10 and got my blood drawn and could leave. It was now about 9:00 AM

The whole process took about 1hr 45 mins. The nice lady who explained things earlier to us said that it was very busy that day (flu shots?) and usually takes only 30 minutes.

Tim

Very interesting....  and good to keep in mind.   

I guess I dont understand why there is a security guard at a doctors office....

The security guard is there for crowd control. These places can get REALLY ugly when they are busy!!! People will knowingly jump you in line...You really need a lot of patience!!

crazy