MOVING TO MALTA EARLY 2011 - LOOKING FOR ADVICE AND NEW FRIENDS!

Hi everyone my partner and I are moving to Malta early 2011 (Im 30 he is 27) He is French and I am Scottish. He has been offered a position for a company to start in January. We dont have accommodation sorted yet. We would like to be close enough to the bus routes in Valetta but not in the heart of the city (for finance reasons and also to be in a quieter area would be ideal) Any ideas guys? I am a part qualified accountant and am also going to do a short course in teaching English before moving over. Any help on the best places to look for jobs etc is greatly appreciated. Really looking to moving there! We visited in October and fell in love with the place. Also to meet up with like minded people perhaps we can exchange email addresses. We love food culture walking and having fun. Thanks

Hi Angelabraveheart, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope you other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck :)
Christine

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum.

In january you will find lots of offers for hotel accomodation. It will be easy to find an appartment(check out other related posts). Then you can go out and find the right appartment.There are many on the market in all areas.

Many expats live in the Sliema/St.Julians and neighbouring areas but as all bus routes go to and from Valletta you can also choose from other areas like the 3 villages ,Birkirkara,San Gwann and others. Not many expats actually live in Valletta.

I'm a member of the Ramblers group and we have 3-4 hour walks once or twice a week over the winter season.The yearly membership fee is a very reasonable 10€/year. Check out the website for the current walks programm (www.ramblersmalta.org).

Send me your e-mail through private message and I'll get in contact.
We can also give advice on teaching English in Malta as my girlfriend is a teacher in Sliema.

Regards
Ricky

Hey Angela, my cousin in Lay is Scottish aswell! I simply love your accent!!

I can help you out I think. I am an accountant myself and knoow some ways of getting you the best accountancy job in Malta which is currently on high employability! I can also give you some contacts re apartments and places to live.. and other details you might require!

I am here to help you out, I really love Scotland and its people! they are so nice and tough! hehe..

please contact me  with all your queries and information and I will try to help you fellas out!

Hi there, we chose to live in B'kara which is great for transit, but depends on where you are working.

Hi Sara thanks for the info! We literally have a couple of weeks now before we leave and so much to do its all go!

Hi Angelabraveheart - are you guys over there yet?

How did it go and how are you finding it?

Hi Newbie no a delay on the plans and now should be leaving second week in Feb very excited we are going to drive over too not looking forward to that as Ive never drove outside the UK. When are you planning on going over do you have a job in Malta?

I agree with Sarafima, if you want to be close enough to Valletta but in a somewhat quieter area, Birkirkara is good- easy to catch the bus too. Also Qormi isn't too far away..my husband and I are moving to Hamrun in a couple weeks -currently we live in St Pauls Bay on the north end of the island. SPB is a nice area but I think its a little too far out (takes me an hour to get to work by bus in Pieta)...nice to be close to the beach up there but otherwise- blah.

Hi Angelabraveheart - we are driving across Europe too :)
I'm not doing the driving though - me driving in UK is bad enough! lol
We leave 28th Feb - so not far behind you - keep in touch and let me know how it goes - could both celebrate with a night out once we get there and settled! :)
I dont have a job but i have several options and time once i get there...we have sold everything - my horse being a big part of that so gives us time - plus my partner Lee will continue to be employed through the UK as self employed so will continue to have an income even when we get over there - could go for some jobs together if you want some support?
Im looking at all the call centres as this is the main area of experience i have - ideal job would be working on the trekking/holiday centres with horses but i think that is unlikely!
But i also have added features/bonus of working for partner Lee would will be setting up a business...
Have you got a job sorted yet or you waiting till you get over there?

Ahh thanks for the comments regarding areas Angela! Newbie no I dont have a job yet my boyfriend does though. Ive started sending my CV for jobs Im a part qualified accountant and am probably going to finish the last of my exams over in Malta. I would quite fancy to teach English too so may do a short TEFL course. Aye the call centre I thought about that actually because Ive worked for HSBC before. Defo keep in touch and I will no doubt see you over there if the island is as small as I am led to believe! :lol: