Teaching English Online via Skype in Medellin, Colombia

Would it be possible to teach English / ESL online with private lessons entirely online via Skype in Medellin, Colombia ?

yo pienso que si es posible hay mucha gente que necesita aprender

@ jhonnyjos1 > Can you please post in english on this english speaking forum?

Thank you

Priscilla :)

yes, it is possible, I have done it a few times.  BUT, the students are not as reliable as face-to-face students.  I live in Medellin.  I suggest that you offer 2-3 Skype sessions, for free, then follow-up with fee based classes (for example, $25,000 per class).  You might ask the student why they want to learn English first.  That might help get him/her focused.
Robert Duke

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for the good advice. That's just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks Robert. I greatly appreciate your good advice regarding teaching English online on Skype.

That's kind of what I thought too. anything is possible. I live in Canada right now but would like to move to Medellin, and I have already visited Medellin 5 times within the last 5 years and I really love that city so much and the people too of course. My wife is from Medellin.

My idea is to live in either El Poblado, Laureles, Envigado, or Sabaneta, and rent a 2-bedroom unfurnished apartment for 1 year to start, and make some extra money by teaching English language lessons either on a part-time basis or a full-time basis both online via Skype and/or in person at my residence for 25,000 to 30,000 COP. I am a native English speaker from Canada, post-university level. I know there are now a lot of people in Medellin who want to learn to speak English fluently, including lots of business people, men & women, university students, high school students, elementary school students, and people who work in the travel & hotel & restaurants & hospitality industry in Medellin..

I also trained in Japanese karate for a long time and I might also try to teach sport-fitness types of karate classes part-time in the evenings & on weekends to elementary school students, high school students, university students & working adults overage-18 for 50,000 to 100,000 COP per month. Just an idea. 

Cheers !!!

Brian Stobo