Teaching English

Hey guys,

Im a young English teacher living in Medellin, looking for a good English teaching gig.  I have tons of experience and TESL certification.  I've been teaching here in Medellin since August, but am not happy in my current situation (bad/always LATE pay) and am having trouble finding info about other good institutes.  Also, any advice on finding private students, the last place i lived i took out an ad in the newspaper and got slammed with clients but I'm not comfortable doing that here.

Thanks! any help would be great...

Cait.

Hi Cait, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

I'm actually looking for an english teacher for teaching the staff in my company (based in El Poblado)
let me know if you're interested

Me llamo Kirk, y soy de Nuevo Mexico.  Asi, como parlante nativo del ingles y el espanol tengo un sentido para idiomas.  Tambien, soy de una familia aleman.  Diariamente uso cuatro idiomas:  ingles, espanol, aleman, chino.  Soy maestro del ingles y el espanol.  Tengo experiencia con ensenar el ingles como idioma extranjera a los alumnus mexicanos y chinos.  Tengo un plan de muchos projectos que servian de verdad con las clases del ingles.  Disculpame el programa de la computadora con cual no puedo utilizar los accentos, etc.  Quizas puedo ayudar con clases del ingles.

Passing an English class and being able to use English are not the same.  English Teachers with fun and game-based plans converse in English and their students learn to use English..
  Actual use of English must be increased for the subconscious memory and class participation.  Real use of English is better than standard teaching by rote and following the book – teaching to the test. 
  There are simple ways to increase the student's memory that can be used in the environment without extra study or time required.  These methods should be related to previous studies and basic vocabulary.
  Student participation gives students experience using English.  Game-based projects  from different ways of learning (Reading/Writing, Listening, Personal Experience) get students involved in a fun way.  Bored and sleepy students do not remember much.
  Participation and fun projects will lesson the problem of good academic students and English Teachers that cannot actually use English.  With language, a person can use it or  cannot use the language.  Passing grades and good records do not help, if the students cannot use English.
  There is a solution to the problem when students pass language classes but cannot use the language.  Both academic  standards and actual usage can be used.

Kirk  [email protected]

Hi,
  I am investigating tesl teaching in Medellin.  I also have a degree in electronics.  I want to re-locate to Medellin.  Any info would be appreciated. I have been to mde several times,and love  it and the people. I will definately be there when I retire in 6 years, but would prefer to come asap.
Any info on social security etc would be appreciated.
Mark

Teaching in Medellín is not a well paid job: a native speaker is paid from 9000 to 18000 COP per hour (very sad) in language institutes. Most ridicolous prices are in the alleged best areas of the city, like 5000 to 8000 COP per hour!
The best thing to do is to work privately as personal tutor and charge the price you think fair: 25000 or 30000 per hour for native speaker is a razonable price and it works, there's a lot of people searching for personal teachers because not everybody has got time and money to follow an annual language course.
To ensure continuity of classes and avoid losing the customer after the first meetings, I advise you to sell a (prepaid) package of hours, establishing with the student date and time.
Working for yourself is always more profitable than working for others.

Thanks for some actual advice not like others that try to take advantage of people(you know who you are). Good advice,and I will only need/want to supplement my income. Sounds like tutoring is the way to go.  It may be wise to work for a school to try to get tutoring business, or just advertise.

thanks Mark

Hi Mark.  I'm an English teacher in Bogotá.  I don't have much information on Medellin, but a good resource for finding info about teaching in Colombia is Dave's ESL Cafe:  forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=55

Much luck to you,
Raquel