Looking for English teaching work in Medellin

Hi,

I've recently arrived in Medellin and am hoping to live here. I am looking for work as an English teacher. I hear there is a fair bit of work here but don't really know where to look, other than finding lists of companies on the internet and sending my CV to them. I have experience in China and the CELTA qualification. Any help or advice with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there -

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm curious if you ever found work? How difficult was it to find work when you arrived?

Hi. Yes I found work. In the beginning it wasn't too easy. I suggest making a list of all the schools, institutes, etc you can find and visiting then in person with your resume. The majority of interest I've had had been from the places I visited like this. You can also send your information by email but I had less success like this. Some places won't offer you work without a working visa. Really  you need to find a place who are willing to offer you a contact and help you get the visa. It took me about 3 months to get myself sorted, I did have some work before this but it was badly paid. Now I have my visa and offers of work from different places. You are looking at a better time though as it's January and a lot of courses will be staying afresh around this time so things could move more quickly for you.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask

This is very helpful, and I do have a few more questions.

1. How did you get the work visa?
2. Why do you think it was so difficult to find work when you arrived?

We will be arriving in Colombia in April, so I'm concerned that we will face similar problems as you did.

Thank you very much for your help.

To get the visa you first need a job then you have to go to immigration office with papers from the company, like your contact, and accounts from the company - basically to prove that they are a legitimate company and they have given you a legitimate job. I had to pay for the process  myself but some companies will pay for you. It's about 250 or 300 dollars.
The reason I think it was difficult was a) my timing - you can research the best times to look for work, if I remember correctly they are around now and around July /august and b) the choice of city : a lot of foreigners want to live in medellin, it's a very good place to live, but this means there is a lot of competition for jobs so the companies can afford to be more picky. I think if you need to find work quickly it is easier in other cities. But then I'm only assuming here from what I've seen, I haven't actually looked for work in other cities, although I have heard that is a lot easier on Bogotá, but that's because not many people want to live in Bogotá. It's a big busy city and the weathers not great