The 90 day rule in Brazil

Hello,
I have been coming to Brazil on and off since 4-12-06 as I have a Brazilian lady friend in Fortaleza. This year I came from 14-2-15 until14-5-15 and revisited here on 19-9-15 and am due to go back to England on 9-12-15.
However it was my wish to extend this for another 90 days so went to the Federal Police with my lady-I don't have the Portuguese unfortunately-in order to apply for this,but was declined. Is this because I've already been here twice in the same year?
I now will have to go home on the 6th of December;OK I have to accept this but  am now concerned when I can return here next-do I have to wait 90 or 180 days? I find all this rather confusing,so hope you can help.

Regards from Nick.

Hi nick
I think you will have to stay out of brazil for 180 days
befor you can come back in
but why don't you apply for an permeant visa, the Fed's can see you keep coming here, the reason I say this is because I had come to brazil 3 times in 2 years, and on going to the fed's the 3rd time to extend my 90 day visa, they said to me why don't you apply for your permeant visa, so I did and they gave it to me
I thought that once you have one, you can never go out of brazil for more then 90 days in any year, but that's not true
ive been told with a permeant visa you can go out of brazil, for 2 years

Thanks spanishpete for your quick reply. It looks like 180 days before I try to come back to Brazil then. As far as you know,has there been any alteration to the 90 days in Brazil/90 days out etc. as it appeared that the official in the Federal Police said that the law is different for UK citizens and they can only stay for one lot of 90 days per year(?),also that I was lucky to be allowed in for this visit,having already had 90 days earlier this year.This is how it was translated by my lady friend;her English is OK,but not always good enough for clarity.

Regarding the permanent visa; I've had a look on the 'just landed'website and it gives me no hope as I am a pensioner with insufficient income and my lady friend will not entertain marriage-nor me,as I've been there,done that and got the T shirt:this would be my only option I think.Also they say that it is a long winded and very bureaucratic process.

I would like your opinion on the 90 day only once a year thing though.

Thanks again for your help. Nick B