New job in Muscat

Hi All,

Thanks for your serivce to us who has fear in stepping into a new place.

Currently im working in abu dhabi with 13.5K AED per month. I am an estimation engineer and have 5 years Indian and 4 years UAE experience. I got an offer in Muscat. OMR 2100 all inclusive (accomodation and transport). I am just married and i want to bring my wife with me. Company is Synergy petroleum which is a branch under Al Taher Group office is at Ghurram area. I am not a much outgoing person. I would like to have a nice single bedroom in South Indian locality. I am a vegetarian and non-alcoholic person. No kids. I want to save 1300 OMR as i have need for it back home. I do not have driving license in India and UAE.
Is it possible to save tat much money after accomodation food and transport expense? How soon can i bring my wife to Muscat? Is it good to consider this offer. Im planning to ask them to give OMR 1600 and tell them to provide accomodation and CAR with fuel. Is it good?
I heard i need to pay the rent in single payment at beginning for a proper contract. Is it correct?.
Also adivse me how long it will take to get an driving license? and is it easy?

I am confused on the family visa.They are not confirm what category visa they will put for me. I have asked for engineer, They are saying the will put higher end position visa so family visa will not be a problem. is there anything like tat? Also They are saying they can stamp family visa only after 6 months only. Can i bring my wife on visit visa and extend for 4 months. So totally she can stay with me for 5 months and then the family visa can be stamped.Is it possible in oman?

Thanks for your feedback anna.

Hi Manickavasagam1985,

The salary figure quoted is good by local standards.

The place where you would like to stay would be dependent on where your office is located. You cannot choose to stay far away from your place of work, for obvious reasons.

Given your lifestyle, for single / even couple, you can comfortably save upwards of 50%-75% of your monthly income.
Family joining time period is dependent on the company and the clout it has with the authorities. Though 6-months is unofficially being followed, there are many exceptions. It is mostly decided on a case-to-case basis. Your company PRO would be the best one to respond to this query. If your company has already indicated about the 6-month waiting period, then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it.

House rent can be paid through monthly, quarterly, half-yearly post-dated cheques. Nobody pays for a full year's rent in advance, as a single payment, unless the rent is being paid for by the company, in which case the company would bargain and negotiate for a rock-bottom rate.

Getting a local driving licence would be hard. It could cost you upwards of R.O. 1,000/- and about 5-months minimum period of persistent trying and re-trying. Come mentally prepared for some stressful time when attempting to get your local driving licence.

Yes, you can bring your wife on a visit visa and she can stay with you for 4 months at a stretch. 3 months visit visa validity + 1-month extension. Not more. And once she gets the family visa, she must necessarily exit Oman and must come back again on family joining visa. Visa cannot be transferred from visit to family joining.

Dear Sumitran anna

Many thanks for your reply. Thank you so much.

My office will be in Qurum Area. Near to a cinema center opposite to the beach. Which place is advisable to stay? Can u give idea on approximate rent charges for single or double bedroom?

I want to get in touch with our tamil community people staying in Muscat. Is there any association available there to get socialize with our people?

I am having a driving test here in Abudhabi in next 10days. I hope i will get the license. If i get Automatic UAE license can i convert it in Oman?

Is my wife allowed to work with my visa?

Can i bring my parents on Visit visa on my own?

Sorry for posing you too many questions. But i dont know anyone to guide me now. Thanks once again anna.

minimum apt rent for 2bhk would be ro450 in qurum.

you can get in touch with the indian social club, they have different wing i.e. malayalam wing etc

Manickavasagam1985 wrote:

Dear Sumitran anna

Many thanks for your reply. Thank you so much.

My office will be in Qurum Area. Near to a cinema center opposite to the beach. Which place is advisable to stay? Can u give idea on approximate rent charges for single or double bedroom?

I want to get in touch with our tamil community people staying in Muscat. Is there any association available there to get socialize with our people?

I am having a driving test here in Abudhabi in next 10days. I hope i will get the license. If i get Automatic UAE license can i convert it in Oman?

Is my wife allowed to work with my visa?

Can i bring my parents on Visit visa on my own?

Sorry for posing you too many questions. But i dont know anyone to guide me now. Thanks once again anna.

Hi Manickavasagam1985,

Shatti Al Qurum is the area where your office is, and that is a very expensive neighbourhood. Unless your company is providing you with accommodation, it would not be feasible for you to be staying there. You will find a lot of affordable accommodation near the Qurum Rose Garden area. Many Asian expats live there too.

There is a pretty strong Tamil Community under the Indian Social Club. Once you come, you can get in touch with them easily.

About the issue of driving licence conversion nothing is for certain. It is best that you approach the Royal Oman Police and find out what is the latest on this.

No. Your wife will not be allowed to work while on a dependent / family visa.

No, you cannot bring your parents on a visit by yourself (as it is in the UAE). You would need the company to act as their temporary sponsors and all the paperwork would have to be routed through your company only.

And lastly, I am not the only one to respond to the queries posted here. There are many others too. This is an open forum and anyone who is inclined to assist anyone are more than welcome to do so, as long as they are able to provide some useful information and worthwhile assistance.

Thank you so much for your reply anna..

Thanks for your reply mam

Im planning to ask them to give OMR 1600 and tell them to provide accomodation and CAR with fuel. Is it good?

I just felt to answer this statement. I would suggest you to ask for company's vehicle, instead of accomodation. You will be able to easily find a 2BR apartment around OMR 400pm (Or probably less if its an old building). If you're intending to ask your employer to provide accommodation, then ask OMR 1800 Plus accommodation. That would be a better deal.

Secondly, even if you obtain a UAE license, you must have to pass the driving test in Oman as well. You might be exempted to attend the slope/drum tests though.

hi dear,

you have received very good salary. easily you can same around 1700 OMR. even if you r staying with your family.

total incom: 2100 RO

Expenses: Rent RO 200 (1 BHK)
Food : RO 50 per person. If two then 100 RO
Other:100 RO Fuel and car maintenance

Total Exp  400
You can save 1700/- RO. with good lifestyle

hi my name is sunny  i am tecnical enginear i want job in oman

Dear Sumitran,
I had taken up job roles in Oman,but was able to work for 10 days n returned to india due to family issues.
I had submmited my resignation / Rejection of offer to my employer.
Now im planning to look out in GCC. Is it possible for me to join any other company in oman rather to my earlier employer...
Im a Sales&Mktg. guy with ample of exp. with HUL - 10+ yrs.
pls revert.

no it's not possible. at least next two years. if you are leaving oman you can eligible to come here again after 2 years. and second way is you have ask NOC from your last employer in oman. and it's very difficult but you can apply for any other GCC countries other than oman any time

I am from hyd south ind vegetrn  I worked in sohar \muscat for 3 yrs yu Sal offr is very good if ur company provided transport ur life is so easy u can sav ur figr other wise a bit diffclt wo drvng lcnc u can find south ind famlies in ruwi area u bring ur wife after 6 monhs wo any problems  single bdrms will be around 400\450 ro \month wish u all the best