Salary Question

Single 23 year old male. Realistically live on 2650EUR monthly in Amsterdam? Looks like taxes will cut that almost in half.

Thanks
-Max K

sure!  Need to get a cheap place to stay though & don't plan on eating out often.  Expect to bike everywhere.  But that wouldn't be a problem, it's the best way to get around.

Hi Max -

giantjackie is correct - your best bet would be to start out by renting a room in a shared apartment/house with students or other young professionals. Entry level salaries in the Netherlands are surprisingly low; I think they expect that new college grads are mostly still living at home with mom and dad, or something.

Some employers will pay a monthly stipend for travel to/from work on the tram, so you should ask about that, but a car is generally an unnecessary expense.  Grocery stores are not really any more expensive than at home, and clothing can be had at places like H&M and C&A for JC Penny's/Target prices. There's also a 30% tax reduction for many foreign employees; you should ask your HR person about that.  You'll probably be required to pay for your own health insurance out of your salary too - everyone is legally required to have it, and companies don't usually provide it as part of the benefits package (ask to find out what your company does); but it is less expensive than in the US, and the health care system is good. You can also get advice on that and other relocation issues from the Expat Center - an entity established as a government/corporate partnership, which offers help and advice to expats - a GREAT service:

(Moderated: No Free advertising, Please, thanks)

My partner and I have been here for 6 months now and are loving it - although, we're getting ready to move a bit further out, into the country - bigger places, much less expensive, but still easy access to A'dam.

Good luck with it -

Eric

Have a Beer on me at the Free State, oh I miss it so much

Hahah, I was at free state last monday. How is the area of Westlandgracht for living? Its not a bad part of the city is it? They have a traniee/student co op housing place I can get for about 470EUR monthly all inclusive.

Thanks
-Max K