Just Married - Applying for Permenancy

Hello

I posted a while ago about moving to Brazil and getting married and on Saturday I married my girlfriend, so now I am applying for a permenant visa and have a few questions. I can see this is a topic that has been posted about a few times but if someone could just ease the confusion it would be appreciated.

The first issue is my tourist visa extension runs out in six days - does anyone know what happens if I run over this? I am hoping to hand in my forms Tuesday which will leave me two days before my visa runs out but I do not know what happens once the forms are handed in.

My second issue is the forms. I've filled in a Protocolo Siapro and I've found the application for the Segunda Via de CIE and also the links for generating the GRUs. The one I can't find is the VIPER. Does somebody have a link for this?

I believe I have all the paperwork I need as I've been through the process of getting married here in Brazil however I do not have a Criminal Record Check.

Please can you tell me what it is I need to fill in online, print, verify and take with me to the police station? Again, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but at the moment I am just opening many pages on the police website and not really getting anywhere.

Cheers

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Actually, when applying for "Permanência Definitiva com base em cônjuge brasileiro(a)" or based on having a Brazilian child, these are the ONLY two situations where the Policia Federal are required to accept the application even though your VITUR Tourist Visa is expired. All other types of applications for permanency must be made during the validity period of one's visa. When you apply for permanency, you will likely be requested to pay the small overstay fine (R$8,28 per day). Although there is jurisprudence that states this should not be done, it is so small a fine that I would highly recommend not arguing about the issue - just pay it.

You're not actually applying for a VIPER Permanent Visa, that is only done from abroad through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil. In Brazil what you are applying for is "Permanência Definitiva".

There are 3 GRUs that you must generate and pay:

140066 PEDIDO DE PERMANENCIA     R$168,13
140082 Registro de Estrangeiros/Restabelecimento de Registro R$106.45
140120 Carteira de Estrangeiro de Primeira Via R$204.77

The process is outlined very clearly in the following topic thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hey James

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's a relief about the visa - forgot about the bank holiday Monday.

My wife is looking for the permenancia definitiva aplicativos on the dpf website but we can only find a "registro nacional de estrangeiro", is that the one?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, your help is really appreciated.

Best,

Brendan

I'm also trying to figure out exactly where the online forms are.. Thanks

I see this link in english with another in Portuguese.  http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … ntity-card

Which, if you can get past the security certificate, will take you to a form. Is that for for the ViPER and the CIE or just the CIE?

I see below is the appointment link... does anyone know how far out the appointments are? Like a day? Days? weeks?

Hello Phil

The link you provided is the only one I can find. It appears to be a "Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros" application. I have filled this in, generated the GRUs and went to book my appointment but the earliest was on the 17th which is too late for me - there is some information on this page that tells you to go to the police station without an appointment if the earliest date available is past your cut off date - so this is what I will be doing Wednesday.

So in my experience plan at least a week ahead for booking your appointment - although the Bank Holiday Monday could have made a difference in this instance.

I am hoping to make a few calls this afternoon to find out more and when I do, I'll post here if it seems helpful.

Best,

Brendan