Relocating

hello good friends , can someone help me to know what i should bring to give birth in Brazil ? I would like to relocate to that country with my husband and son but need more advise on what exactly i need to be able to stay there. Am already Pregnant and leaving like in a month. I also have sufficient money but would love to establish a small business after am able to get some kind of permit to do that . I will be staying in a hotel for a month . Is it true that i can get Permanent visa after birth ? And will they turn me away at the airport ?

Worried Mom.

Hello nthabs12,

I presume that you and your husband both have visas for Brazil. If you only have VITUR Tourist Visas, they only allow an initial 90 day stay (which may be extended for a further 90 days). Timing of your child's birth is going to be pretty difficult.

You're going to need proof of sufficient funds for your entire stay in Brazil (about the equivalent of R$500/day plus accommodations), an outward bound ticket or return ticket dated for the end of your stay, your passport with visa and that's about all for entry. If you are very visibly pregnant you may be subjected to lots of questions upon arrival.

Yes, the immigrations and nationality laws here provide that any child born in Brazilian territory is a Brazilian citizen. They also provide for the parents of a child born in Brazil have the right to apply for permanency. You'll need to bring with you all the documents necessary for the permanency process, which are listed in the topic linked below:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks , our visas are 90 days . I am 20 weeks now and plan to leave as soon as possible . However , what is the possibility of getting returned if my pregnancy is very visible ?

It's impossible to say. I've already dealt with many people who've come here and had children in this country who have had no problems in being allowed to enter. However, I have absolutely no idea how far along they were in their pregnancy or how visibly pregnant the were at the time.

Just have to hope for the best, I guess.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks a lot for your response. Sounds a bit scary though .Will be too disappointed to be returned because of pregnancy after spending lots of money to purchase tickets for all the three of us . If we able to make it , do you know of any hospitals that can take care of me ? And would you mind if i email you privately to ask some more detailed questions ? I am not intending to over spend money in brazil and am not intending to change anything . All i want is to give birth.

I'm sure you will understand that we don't give out our private e-mail addresses for security reasons. You can contact me in our private message system by clicking on the ENVELOPE icon in the green banner at the top of this page. Just type in my user name James.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team