Permanent Visa Brasil

I have  had a permanent visa for Brasil since 2008. I need to go to the USA for 14 months.
Will my stay out of the country of Brasil affect my Permanent Visa?

Hello iloverio,

No you won't have any problem at all, once granted permanency you are permitted to be out of Brazil for up to TWO YEARS before your permanency would be cancelled. Under circumstances completely beyond your control, such as being hospitalized for example, this could even be longer. There are actually many expats who have permanency and return to Brazil once every 2 years just to keep their permanent status.

The continuity of your permanency is based solely on the last exit stamp in your passport and the following entry stamp being within that 2 year period. As far as I know there isn't even a minimum stay requirement, so essentially you could enter Brazil and leave the same day, the stamps in the passport would effectively "restart the 2 year clock."

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

James..........no, as long as you enter Brazil within 24 months of your last departure from Brazil.

That's correct... 2 years is the magic number that keeps you permanent. Any longer than that unless you're in traction on a hospital bed somewhere you're going to end up dealing with the Federal Police and trying to re-establish your RNE and permanency. Not fun at all.

Cheers,
James