School in Bangalore that values creativity and the individual

Hi everyone, we are considering moving to Bangalore but of course are worried about schools.

We live in Dubai and our two boys (10 & 8) attend a homeschool set up by a group of parents, following the Waldorf curriculum delivered by qualified teachers.  Previously they attended a Dubai British International school which was not successful.  They were constantly under pressure to perform and creativity & individuality was not respected.  They needed to perform like robots and the homework was over the top.  Assessments and testing were regular as the better the school academics results, the more fees they can charge.  It really damaged their self esteem.

They've thrived and really progressed under the Waldorf curriculum and their willingness to learn and try new things has increased 100 fold.  It is even reflected in their sports, they are willing to really put in the effort and have become more competitive. 

Every school website says they value creativity and the individual but if Indian international schools are anything like Dubai schools, that really is just good marketing.  Children are not robots and we've witnessed first hand that allowing them to be creative and being in a curriculum that pitches the academics at the right age, really does create a beautiful, happy, grounded child that embraces learning.

We will of course visit the Waldorf school in Bangalore but wonder if there are other schools that really provide a well-rounded holistic education?

Also if there are any educational consultants who we can engage to help us sort through the schools in Bangalore, a recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Hia, I attended a Waldorf school in the UK for 10+years. From my own experience I very much enjoyed the younger years although I wish I had been pushed more in my final ones (very school specific). Great to hear it is working out for your kids.

Whilst my response doesn't offer much help I have heard that Indian education is extremely text-book based and can form rather narrow, and box-like mindsets (which is why some businesses welcome outsiders). The marketing in Bangalore is very apparent with many a billboard carrying slogans such as "XYZ school: top achievers academy, expanding minds, taking creativity to new levels bla bla bla." I expect that you, as I would run a mile before readily accepting any such jargon but there is a manner here of accepting statements at face value and following pre-conditioned rules despite their obvious absurdity.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable environment for your children and that someone responds with more useful insights.

Best wishes.

Hi
I lived in blr for 6 years and had my daughters in Inventure academy. Most of schools there is fully buisness oriented and money making so is Inventure. I changed the school thought there are less study in Inventure. Studies are less but it has other creative things which I think is not very common in other school. I moved my kids to Greenwood high but my kids were under pressure and didn't like the atmosphere. I can tell only my experience with Inventure academy and Greenwood high. Let me know if you need any help in finding house in blr. I have fully furnished three bed room house available in a gated community.

Hello Aparna_Misra,

Welcome to Expat-Blog,

Thank you for your post, but for any rental services, ad should be posted in the right section, Housing > Properties for rent in Bangalore.

Regards,

Marjorie

Thanks Pascal for your post and your experience at a Waldorf school.

We will definitely avoid at all costs typical/mainstream schools in Bangalore.  I've seen the damage first hand they can do to our boys.

Thanks Aparna for the information on Inventure and Greenwood.  My company uses a relocation company so I can only source accommodation through them.  Good luck with renting your property.