Non GMO in Riyadh

Well I noticed that all food in Riyadh is genetically modified. Im wondering is there ANYWHERE in Riyadh where you can buy 100% natural food?

Mudrinjo wrote:

Well I noticed that all food in Riyadh is genetically modified. Im wondering is there ANYWHERE in Riyadh where you can buy natural food?

Sure.  There's an organic veggie/fruit section at both Danube and Euromarche.  Probably Tamini, too.

And there's more -
you can go to the fruit and veg markets, I'm sure that they can't all be GM stuff.
I never noticed any difference, didn't realise that everything was GM.
Good luck.

Dave

And how did you determine that everything in Saudi is GM?

Just a guess?  I shop Tamimis and have seen no signs saying that the produce is GM, or the chicken is GM.

Please, enlighten us.

MisterStretch wrote:

And how did you determine that everything in Saudi is GM?

Just a guess?  I shop Tamimis and have seen no signs saying that the produce is GM, or the chicken is GM.

Please, enlighten us.

Im here very short time and Im not maybe qualified to say, but I ve been to Hyper Panda and some Saudi, Syrian and Turkish fast food and Im positive that is GMO. I think most of the chicken is GMO too.

other thing that is worth mentioning is price of food and people (non) awarness with that problem. Same as the recycling problem.

My answer to you is why do you think that food is not GMO? In this country they dont even know what is GMO and thats why here is perfect to sell all crap.

Again, I am only thinking and wooriing about it and would like constructive discussion because its big matter for me. Ty!

EDIT

And yes I exaggirated saying that ALL food is GMO. I mented most food is GMO. Sorry!

Alliecat wrote:
Mudrinjo wrote:

Well I noticed that all food in Riyadh is genetically modified. Im wondering is there ANYWHERE in Riyadh where you can buy natural food?

Sure.  There's an organic veggie/fruit section at both Danube and Euromarche.  Probably Tamini, too.

Ty!

Where are this bold places?

My answer to you is why do you think that food is not GMO? In this country they dont even know what is GMO and thats why here is perfect to sell all crap.

My answer would be that most of the food that you see in the supermarkets is not produced in Saudi Arabia, so one would have to go to the sources to determine whether they are genetically modified.

As GM foods are not as common as you seem to believe, I have a hard time believing that even a significant portion of the food I consume here is genetically modified.

Considering the non-uniformity, thinly skinned and quickly spoiled produce that I encounter in my shopping forays I would have to say that a majority of the food I encounter is non-gm food.  For if it was, it would be of a higher quality, have a longer shelf-life and be more uniform.

I don't buy much processed food, almost everything I purchase is fresh (with the exception of the chicken breasts from Brasil that I grill, and are frozen).

My concern is more for excessive use of pesticides that might taint the food, as opposed to whether or not Pakistani mangoes are GM (they are so poor in quality, that they surely can't be).

jillndave - you mentioned fruit and veg markets - i assume different from the grocery stores i've been frequenting - can you please tell me where these markets are? thanks!

There is a large Fruits/Veges/Meats market in the North of Riyadh, east of the Saudia Boarding Pass Office in Hayya Al Murooj. They do have a massive display of groceries that are all imported from South Asia, Middle East, and even Europe and South America. Am not really sure that those are GM. I cannot tell anyways.

About the Chicken thats farmed here it is very possible that they are GM based on some discussions I had sometime back with a Finance Manager of a Poultry Farm. While he didnt admit 100% that the birds were GM he conceded that they are were certainly not raised the "normal" way (free range I assume?). Fattening was the key.

As for meats they are also imported from across the globe. I dont believe they do have sufficient animals here to provide for the demand.

Some food for thought - http://www.scidev.net/en/news/saudi-ara … ports.html

What I can tell you based on experience, my father exports australian beef to GCC occassionally, and my in laws are farmers in Syria, is that it is unlikely that Australian beef and sheep meat is GM and it is generally free from steriods.
Middle East chicken on the other hand, like most worldwide, unless organic is full of steriods and hormones that expedites growth, maturity (size) usually takes place in 45 days.

Conclusion, buy Australian meat, certified organic chicken from anywhere. 

Fruit and veg is another topic, pesticides and sewer irrigation is of greater concern than GM. I personally would avoid fruit and veg from developing nations that cant provide some information on the produce. A classic example we have in Australia is chinese garlic. It costs near nothing, but recent research showing the source of produce would shock even the chinese away from eating it!

Conclusion: do your research on the origin of the product!

MisterStretch wrote:

My answer would be that most of the food that you see in the supermarkets is not produced in Saudi Arabia, so one would have to go to the sources to determine whether they are genetically modified.

As GM foods are not as common as you seem to believe, I have a hard time believing that even a significant portion of the food I consume here is genetically modified.

Considering the non-uniformity, thinly skinned and quickly spoiled produce that I encounter in my shopping forays I would have to say that a majority of the food I encounter is non-gm food.  For if it was, it would be of a higher quality, have a longer shelf-life and be more uniform.

I don't buy much processed food, almost everything I purchase is fresh (with the exception of the chicken breasts from Brasil that I grill, and are frozen).

Problem here in saudi arabia that nobody think about these things. Sure that everybody will shop where is cheaper, no matter what quality of food is. There is no label on any product (for what I know) are they organic or GMO. I looked on juices boxes and bottles - majority is only about 30% fruit. There are 100% too but more expensive and nobody buys them. Conclusion - nobody thinks about it.

I drink juices from restaurants where they melt fruits in front of me - but I think that fruit is unnatural too (pesticides, GMO...) because they are very cheap and every fruit look alike other one. (where are the worms)

I think you would be suprised how nuch GMO is distributed. In USA they practically label ORGANIC food - not GM food. Im not saying that is the big evil - but I want to have a choice.

bhills2153 wrote:

What I can tell you based on experience, my father exports australian beef to GCC occassionally, and my in laws are farmers in Syria, is that it is unlikely that Australian beef and sheep meat is GM and it is generally free from steriods.

Conclusion, buy Australian meat, certified organic chicken from anywhere. 

Conclusion: do your research on the origin of the product!

Where australian meat can be bought in Riyadh?

How can U get information to do research here when majority of people dont even know what GMO or pesticides are.

I am not sure, I have never been to Riyadh so I dont know where the supermarket is. I am due to arrive mid to late september. Most reputable supermarkets will stock australian meat, try carfourre if it is in Riyadh.

As for your question on the information, ask the grocer where it comes from, that is usually a good start, then do research on the area and how they farm their produce. In Australia we have product information so if your enquisitive you can find out everything about the produce. Another way is to look at the packaging and its source.

I hope this helps.

Meats from across the globe are all available in the big supermarkets, viz Tamimi (Safeway), Carrefour, Danube, Euromarche, HyperPanda.

hi all

There is alwatania agricultural shops ( all over Riyadh) , it is only sell organic foods(Eggs, vegetables, fruit, jam, sauces, food, olive oil, olives, cheese) , also in the supermarkets( Al Tamimi , al Danob) you will find a label on each product which indicate if it GM or not.

For the chicken try (RADWA) chicken it is the best ( and expensive ) you will feel the difference. also tray to buy the natural eggs (local farm eggs)

Believe me man , I'm Saudi and the GM food is on of our concern and I'm seeking for  a good and healthy food all the time ( not only me but most of the Saudi people) since we don't have any GM regulations.

my advice : avoid unseasonal fruits , buy a local fresh meat.

mohaa wrote:

hi all

There is alwatania agricultural shops ( all over Riyadh) , it is only sell organic foods(Eggs, vegetables, fruit, jam, sauces, food, olive oil, olives, cheese) , also in the supermarkets( Al Tamimi , al Danob) you will find a label on each product which indicate if it GM or not.

For the chicken try (RADWA) chicken it is the best ( and expensive ) you will feel the difference. also tray to buy the natural eggs (local farm eggs)

Believe me man , I'm Saudi and the GM food is on of our concern and I'm seeking for  a good and healthy food all the time ( not only me but most of the Saudi people) since we don't have any GM regulations.

my advice : avoid unseasonal fruits , buy a local fresh meat.

Thanks man! :) Glad to read this from Saudi people. This is very important issue for me. :D

if U could answer me this, it would be of great help for me.

Where can I buy natural milk?

Milk from cows who eaten grass and didnt get any antibiotics or steroids. Also milk that isnt homogenizated or pasteurized.

P.S. Where can I buy local farm natural eggs?

LoL Mudrinjo , this is a tuff question , ammmmmmmm, try Al Marai fresh milk , if you insist to drink a fresh milk there is a supermarket in Al Murooj Distract which sell a natural milk which packaging In a Plastic bag , Also they sell a fresh local meat ( it's really expensive – not less than 60SR for 1 k/minimum sell quarter of lamb )

For your second question , if you live in north of Riyadh you will find the local farm eggs in SOUQ AL SHAMAL and ask for BALADY eggs (local farm natural eggs) - cost you not less than 20 SR , in that SOUQ you will find the fresh fish come from:  Jizan, Arabian Gulf, and chicken.

SOUG AL SHAMAL location - as MR musicman wrote:

There is a large Fruits/Veges/Meats market in the North of Riyadh, east of the Saudia Boarding Pass Office in Hayya Al Murooj. They do have a massive display of groceries that are all imported from South Asia, Middle East, and even Europe and South America.

Ty very much for answers on the "little difficult" questions. :)

Talking about milk, I was expecting to find lots of female camel milk in the supermarket :-)  I would be 100 % sure that milk is not GMO and is steroids-free. Yet haven't found a single pack. anyone knows where to find?
My advice to avoid possible GMO: check if possible for the origin of the fruit/vegetable, and avoid those from United States, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, India, China, Paraguay, South Africa, Uruguay and Australia.
If coming from Europe, chances are that they aren't GMOs.

Max

Al-Max wrote:

Talking about milk, I was expecting to find lots of female camel milk in the supermarket :-)  I would be 100 % sure that milk is not GMO and is steroids-free. Yet haven't found a single pack. anyone knows where to find?
My advice to avoid possible GMO: check if possible for the origin of the fruit/vegetable, and avoid those from United States, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, India, China, Paraguay, South Africa, Uruguay and Australia.
If coming from Europe, chances are that they aren't GMOs.

Max

AL Max I agree with u man , I know somebody who sell a fresh camel milk in camels pens (in the heart of the desert) which is 100%100 organic.

A friend at work brought me some fresh camel milk (he has a mother camel with baby), he warned me just to have a little bit, but yea it was nice and very creamy.

I have heard that you get extreme diarhea from camel milk the first couple times you try it so beware!

Yes he said it would 'go straight through me', I was ok but its put me off trying it again, I was a bit wary of it being unpasteurized as well.

Please be very careful with this camel milk - Brucellosis is a bacteria carried in this milk - it is MOH notifiable disease. My advice - and its free consultation - dont try unless its pasturised.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4057/13092010010.jpg

:D:D:D

Looks like Giant Panda on the Kharj road, but just a guess.

Well you gotta visit BIOBEST shop in Olaya, it has a big variety of pure organic products mostly from Germany Danube supermarkets also have a good range

It also carries a fresh vegetable section but is mostly empty, you can find eggs there but no meat or chicken

here is their website bio-best.com

I was at a very large Souq last week (near the main Date markets) off junction 15 (when you come off the exit, it's there on your right and covers a large area).  There is a massive range of friut & vegetables and worth investigating.  The quality of the produce is high, clean and very organised and from the export Countries there, a lot will not be chemcially produced.

However, there is an organic shop to the right of the markets - can't recall the name, but it's a known brand shop and only sells organic products.

For meat, poultry, and products - there is an excellent Butchery in Riyadh - here are their details (as women cannot drive, I can't tell you the directions):
Tel (if being dialled from a cell phone) 01 293 1486 or 01 293 4627 and their website is:  forsan.com.sa/index.htm

Happy 'Organic' shopping.

I think its probably Watania

Forsan sure is great for meat products but their main specialization is their bread, one of the best available in Riyadh. They are located at the intersection of Talateen St. & Dabbab St. opposite to McDonalds.

I have asked at tamimmi and they had organic tomatoes and zucchini... That's all!! I have recently found out about genetically modified food(GM,or GMO) and one of the most obvious ways to see the difference between organic & GMO is how large the fruit/vegetable/meat looks...Basically, oversized tomatoes,potatoes, chickens are not grown without genetic modifications/hormones in order to assist the food to grow faster& larger as well as resist drought and insects. GMOS HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED BY ANY COUNTRY REGULATORY AUTHORITIES FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. INDEPENDENT STUDIES HAVE LINKED GMOS TO CANCER,DIABETES, ADHD,DETERIATION OF INTESTINAL LINING, DIGESTIVE DISORDERS, OBESITY, INFERTILITY, ACCELERATED AGING....just to name a few...MONSANTO IS ONE OF THE LARGEST COMPANIES IN THE UNITED STATES MAKING THESE SEEDS..IF THEY ARE NOT CONTROLLED,WE MAY FACE SERIOUS CONSEQUENSES.... MAKE YOURSELF AWARE OF WHAT YOU PUT INTO YOUR BODY!!! WE DESERVE FOOD THAT HAS NUTRITIONAL VALUE IN ORDER TO PROMOTE HEALTH,NOT DISEASE...

I think watania is better,
http://watania-agri.com/showrooms, they have several branches in Riyadh.

Incorrect no go allowed in KSA. Much of the produce is close what may contain gmo ingredients are imports from US from companies which have a heavy processed  base. Guessing is not like knowing but to be safe organic food and produce can purchased here.

There is a place called Qaf store nice and all organic  :top: i go there all the time.
Riyadh, Arayan abu Bakar road  :)www.qaf.sa
Baker 0555064573
:cheers: