Best Place to Buy Suits???

Hi Guys,

I am arriving in Riyadh on Wednesday Morning :) my wife seems to think i have made a huge mistake by not taking extra suits with me from the UK.

My reason for this is 1). i own all dark colours 2). the UK material is for cold weathers i used to live in UAE and noticed the suit material there is almost pure cotton here its poly wool mix so u end up roasting or slow cooking your self.   

Where is the best place to buy suits from ? i usually buy my suits from Debenhams, Next and Austin Reed for anything between 450 - 625 SAR's what time are stores open till.

can some one advise please, p.s is it compulsory to wear a tie at work? i have never ever worn one in the UK as i respect all religions and beliefs but it symbolises the cross so i hoping being Muslim the locals would understand. 

thank you

choudhers wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am arriving in Riyadh on Wednesday Morning :) my wife seems to think i have made a huge mistake by not taking extra suits with me from the UK.

My reason for this is 1). i own all dark colours 2). the UK material is for cold weathers i used to live in UAE and noticed the suit material there is almost pure cotton here its poly wool mix so u end up roasting or slow cooking your self.   

Where is the best place to buy suits from ? i usually buy my suits from Debenhams, Next and Austin Reed for anything between 450 - 625 SAR's what time are stores open till.

can some one advise please, p.s is it compulsory to wear a tie at work? i have never ever worn one in the UK as i respect all religions and beliefs but it symbolises the cross so i hoping being Muslim the locals would understand. 

thank you

There are lot of places from where you can buy suits, Debenhams is in Riyadh as well.
There is also a shop called Brands, where you can find suits in different range, most shopping malls would have mens stores from where you can get suits.
I prefer stitched,  since I cant get ready made with longer hands and enough cloth to cover the belly :D. There is Raymonds show room in Riyadh with stitching, but costs in the range of 750- 900 SAR.

As for a tie, depends on your profession and what type of meetings you attend on a daily basis. I don't wear a tie, have never worn one. But I do sometimes if the meeting is with top brass. See you office environment and then decide.

Hi Guru,

Thanks for the information i prefer ready made as well i hate sending my suits off to be tailored !!! i heard the suits in the Riyadh debenhams are more expensive? for example a £99 suit in the UK would cost you £130 - £150 there i better pray there's some "Tanzeelat" when i get there :) In Sha Allah....

As for the tie thats what i pretty much do...only wear a tie when top dogs are around :)

choudhers wrote:

Hi Guru,

Thanks for the information i prefer ready made as well i hate sending my suits off to be tailored !!! i heard the suits in the Riyadh debenhams are more expensive? for example a £99 suit in the UK would cost you £130 - £150 there i better pray there's some "Tanzeelat" when i get there :) In Sha Allah....

As for the tie thats what i pretty much do...only wear a tie when top dogs are around :)

Yeah you are right, you can expect to pay 30-40% more than UK in KSA. Insha Allah lets hope so too.

I don't recall I've ever seen a suit in Debenhams as cheap as £130 - £150 :(

About ties, I don't think many people even know about the symbolization you've mentioned :) As HRGuru said above, it depends on all those things + your personal choice.

ah right .. so can some one recommend a proper gents tailor ?

I had some stitched from Raymonds, however there isn't any difference as far as stitching quality is concerned from other run of the mill suits.

By the way, stitching was 600 SAR / suit for a single breast suit.
Without extra trouser, or over locking.

I have heard there is a street dedicated to this around Batha and one in Khazan street.

Has someone had any experience ?
Are there any tailors available who still stitch with hand ?

As for ties, there is a Kiton showroom in Kingdom, and there is a Ermangildo Zegna show room on Olayya road. Both of which provide the best Italian silk.
Kiton still makes 7 fold ties.

Cheers.

I never heard about a tie symbolizing the cross, either, so I doubt you'll have any problem (and the non-Saudi men where I work wear dress shirts and ties).

choudhers wrote:

Hi Guys,

thank you

You are better off getting everyday-suits from M&S or Next back in England.

Here you don't get all sizes and collection is limited. Price-wise I believe most of english brands still have the sterling price label attached and they charge you almost the same (topman, river island and next).

Most professionals here don't wear jacket unless they really have to.

Oh, and you might want to check out this thread where this topic has been discussed recently:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51051