Do not watch the Hobbit in 3D-IMAX @ 360

Ola Expats!

i am a huge, huge fantasy nerd. i love watching it, and i love reading it. i am currently reading, or have been putting off reading, the Raymond Feist series "The Magician", a series of 24+ books (i've read 12, and have slowed down on the rest because i love them so much and dont want the magic to end).

now, the hobbit is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was just going over LOTR, which came out in 2001, 02 & 03!! we had to wait a DECADE for the hobbit!!

now, 3D-IMAX is amazing, the quality is amazing, the sequence plays out on your lap, however, if Arabic is not your first language, and if you do not speak Orcish or Elvish, then do not go for the 3D-IMAX show as the parts spoken in Orc and Elf are only translated in Arabic.

I had to translate for my friend in every scene.

enjoy!

legacy wrote:

Ola Expats!

i am a huge, huge fantasy nerd. i love watching it, and i love reading it. i am currently reading, or have been putting off reading, the Raymond Feist series "The Magician", a series of 24+ books (i've read 12, and have slowed down on the rest because i love them so much and dont want the magic to end).

now, the hobbit is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was just going over LOTR, which came out in 2001, 02 & 03!! we had to wait a DECADE for the hobbit!!

now, 3D-IMAX is amazing, the quality is amazing, the sequence plays out on your lap, however, if Arabic is not your first language, and if you do not speak Orcish or Elvish, then do not go for the 3D-IMAX show as the parts spoken in Orc and Elf are only translated in Arabic.

I had to translate for my friend in every scene.

enjoy!

Hey there Legacy,

Hope your week is starting off well...

Good to hear your exploring the fictional series selections ... careful though, they can take over your life like a bad drug... lol ...I spent one summer between school sessions reading at a rate of about one book every two to three days (sometimes faster) ... there are so many to pick from, and a lot of them very good.  (I don't read them anymore, take too much of my time) ...anyways... yes, went to see the Hobbit opening weekend, 3D-IMAX at 360, it was a great experience from a sensory standpoint ... but as you mentioned, the subs were in Arabic which was a little irritating and distracting at points, but all in all I don't think it took 'too' much away from the overall experience.  Just my two fils ... :D

Have a great week!

well there are a lot of scenes that would not make sense if you werent informed of what was being said :P so as to avoid spoilers, i wont share any here, point being, take a friend along who can translate for you :D the experience definitely trumps the loss of understanding, however my point is its a really careless clumsy oversight from the people at cinescape to leave out the english subtitles, especially since the 2D version comes with it.

im too far gone when it comes to fantasy, my favorite form of fiction :P i even enjoy MMORPGs (Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games).

legacy wrote:

well there are a lot of scenes that would not make sense if you werent informed of what was being said :P so as to avoid spoilers, i wont share any here, point being, take a friend along who can translate for you :D the experience definitely trumps the loss of understanding, however my point is its a really careless clumsy oversight from the people at cinescape to leave out the english subtitles, especially since the 2D version comes with it.

im too far gone when it comes to fantasy, my favorite form of fiction :P i even enjoy MMORPGs (Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games).

Yeah, ...fantasy fiction, MMORPG's, MRPG's (old school), all metaphorical drugs to me - lol - and if I'm going to put time and money into entertainment of sorts, my drug of choice these days would be traveling  :)

that is a very expensive "drug" :P

although the high lasts a life-time

Forgot IMAX 3D where does one watch it in HFR 3D?!

And ughhhhhh that's annoying as hell since I hate and want to punch anyone who talks during a movie so bringing along a translator wouldn't work for me hahaa

the available options here are:

IMAX 3D
3D
Dolby Atmos
2D

Boo!!!

Guess I'll wait to watch it in HFR then report back!

I guess going to the movies is not an option around here at all. I went to see horrible bosses 2 the other day and man the trailer on IMDB was more informative than the movie version that was being shown here.

They cut words out of sentences and whole sentences out of conversations and 150 seconds out of a 3 mins scene. there even were a scene that was basically only 2 actors talking to each other and they cut all what one of them was saying so it ended up just one actor talking to himself.  HOW STUPID IS THAT!!

always check kncc.com and wikipedia to compare the running times of movies.. i hate how they butcher movies here.. they even cut a scene from the hobbit..

well I've had a horrible experience and already decided to set my own thing, a big screen with a good surround system and pirate my way through latest movies!!

you would still need to wait for a decent version to be released "/

plus with the taking down of TPB, the world of piracy is slowly drifting ashore into the arms of Johnny Law :(