Job Offer (need advice)

Hi all,
  I got a job offer in Sur Oman, with salary package of 450 Omani Riyals with (Basic Medical Services, Accommodation with basic Furniture, Annual Air Passage/Tickets).
           Kindly advise me about the followings:
1:- I am single at the moment so is this salary is good for me (And in near future if i get married)?
2:- How is Sur city?
3:- What does Accommodation with basic Furniture means?
  I don't have a high life style, its kinda a middle...
4: Most Important ( I applied for Lecturer position but they offered me Administrative/Managerial role, and asked me to certify my documents from Oman embassy and do a medical check up, I did all, and will get results etc in few days then i will send them scan copies and they will forward it to the Ministry of Education. They said my offer is subject to the approval of Ministry of Education, so  Now the question is that Whether the Ministry of Education wont have any issue that I have experience in Teaching and they offered me administrative position? and how much time they will take to approve my application. and what will be next then?

1:- I am single at the moment so is this salary is good for me (And in near future if i get married)?
- OMR 450 /month (in SUR) may be considered as an average salary, provided if the accomodation / utilities are taken care by the employer.

2:- How is Sur city?
- SUR is kinda isolated city with almost no social life, around 250kms away from Muscat (capital city of Oman). Filled with alot of natural beauty for those who like to hike / camp / mountains exploring / Wadis and related stuff. No specific malls or similar socializing places but a peaceful and simple lifestyle.

3:- What does Accommodation with basic Furniture means?
  I don't have a high life style, its kinda a middle...

You have to confirm with your employer whether they'll provide you with sharing or a non-shared accomodation. If its a non-sharing, that means it would be provided with a bed / wardrobe (May be a fridge) or related basic stuff. However, if its a sharing accomodation, that means it might could be a 2 B/R with a shared kitchen and one room would be allocated to you.

4: Most Important ( I applied for Lecturer position but they offered me Administrative/Managerial role)
- That is something, you need to clarify. There could be a possibility that your employer may hasn't got a visa clearance, pertaining to lecturer but for a non-teaching staff. I would suggest you to please clarify your exact job role for which you've been selected. Attestation of all the documents (as you've mentioned) is mendatory, however the approval from Ministry of education is generally obtained for teaching staff (and not for the administrative personnel).

The time of obtaining the visa is purely based on how fast is the PRO of your employer. The faster they chase, the sooner they'll obtain the visa.

I would like to add one more thing here. As per the law, you can not bring your spouse/family if your basic salary is less than OMR 600.

Trust the above info will help.

Thanks for you kind information..
      Well I got offer from Sur University College which is a private Institute/College in Sur.  I applied there for Lecturer position, I have M.S/M.Phil Computer Sciences Degree but I think they are looking for Phd,s for teaching Position. Since its a College/Educational Institute so they will send my documents to Ministry of Education for further Approval.
I have mostly teaching experience and my last employer was a University here in Pakistan, So Sur University college sent me an offer letter mentioned that "Regarding your application for working at SUC, I am pleased to offer you the position of "Manager Information Technology" with the following conditions:
   Monthly Salary  450 Omani riyals,  Working 40 hours per week,  40 days paid leave, Accommodation with basic Furniture, basic medical facilities, Annual ticket.
   they also mentioned that send them a new medical checkup to Human resource department.
           My question is that whether Ministry of Education will do any objection on this experience thing, because SUC itself offered me Managerial Role,??? I have also more than 10 International research publications. And they offered me 450 salary because of my experience may be..
    Also as you mentioned that medical checkup normally done when you get to Oman on express visa but then why they asked me to do New complete Medical checkup. or it seems that that are sure to get approval from ministry of Education..?? I talked to one of my colleague he said that if some1 apply for job as a labor or in company etc so his employer will send his/her documents to Ministry of Labor and for Doctors, Ministry of Health, and normally it done, means approved...

I wonder how come they could offer such a less salary for a person, holding a masters degree with publications.
Anyway, not commenting much, whatever you have mentioned is correct and to the best of my knowledge, the approval from Ministry of education is required for teaching / relevant jobs while the non-teaching / administrative personnel don't require the approval from MOE.

So then why would they send me documents for approval?
     And i am single at the moment could you please give me a rough idea of my living expense..

junaidkhan23113 wrote:

So then why would they send me documents for approval?
     And i am single at the moment could you please give me a rough idea of my living expense..

Your degrees / educational certificates and other relevant documents should be attested from Pakistan (HEC or equivalent). Once you send those approved/attested documents, they'll obtain your visa clearance and then will send you the authentic visa.

If you're single at the moment and the organization is providing you the accomodation, you can save approximately 70% of your salary (if obtained a wise lifestyle).

ok thank you for your kind information and reply...
I have certified my documents from HEC, MOFA and  Oman Embassy respectively and also did a medical check up from GCC approved Medical centre and Alhamdullilah result is clear and am Fit.
    For what reasons Ministry of Education will reject my application?

for your qualification and experience  actually salary is very less. for similar qualification  in private organisation it  should be somewhere  1000 or more .

previously people used to enter oman even with 300 or 400 also but then  they would find some better option locally and change the job. But now as per new rules you  can not. If you leave the job you can not enter  for 2 years .

you can also apply in ministry of manpower . they have some technical  training colleges  and lectures are paid more than 1000 pm .

but if you have no other choice then it is ok.

thanks for your reply..
I talked to one person from same college.. he told me that Accommodation(Furnished) will be provided inside campus.. so 1-2 minute walking distance to your office...
             I have been offered 450+Accommodation+Medical+Tickets
I have applied for Teaching job as I have experience particular in Teaching, But they offered me Manager IT Post. So I don't have experience in such role, so this might be the reason for such salary.

And at the moment I don't have any other option and I am single btw..

junaidkhan23113 wrote:

thanks for your reply..
I talked to one person from same college.. he told me that Accommodation(Furnished) will be provided inside campus.. so 1-2 minute walking distance to your office...
             I have been offered 450+Accommodation+Medical+Tickets
I have applied for Teaching job as I have experience particular in Teaching, But they offered me Manager IT Post. So I don't have experience in such role, so this might be the reason for such salary.

And at the moment I don't have any other option and I am single btw..

If you have completed all your attestations / etc, I don't see any point of rejection. Secondly, please note that medical+tickets are the regular benefits which are offered to every single expat employee in Oman.

Acception / Rejection of an offered salary is purely your own decision as you're a matured / experienced market person and you know your worth better than anyone else. If you feel that the offered salary fits with your expertise, you can proceed.

The best thing I see in your package is the internal accomodation that will certainly give you a benefit /  cost saving for the unnecessary travel. You'll only spend the cost of travel of your personal needs.

best of luck.

Hi there,
Could anyone help me in deciding an offer of 500 OMR, with a bachelor accommodation and lunch Provided.
I do have about 6 yrs. of exp. and holding a master's degree.
Currently getting somewhere 43 K in India.
will this be a good offer for me to consider.
Please reply me.

nik1234 wrote:

Hi there,
Could anyone help me in deciding an offer of 500 OMR, with a bachelor accommodation and lunch Provided.
I do have about 6 yrs. of exp. and holding a master's degree.
Currently getting somewhere 43 K in India.
will this be a good offer for me to consider.
Please reply me.

Hi nik1234,

Your current salary in India translates to about R.O. 262/-..in Rial Omani So obviously you should consider your Oman offer seriously.

With accommodation and lunch expenses taken care of, a major portion of your salary is already saved. So the deal is indeed good.