Red Bull Air Race - BUDAPEST Cancelled

Very disappointing news for those of us who like aeroplanes. It was a highlight of August - the national day and aeroplane racing over one of the world's most famous cities. Shame!

But if you listen carefully, you can hear the collective sigh of a hundred thousand parents with small children in Budapest as they exhale in relief upon finding out.
The show is spectacular I hear, but the week before is living hell from the continuous practice runs, and I did heard that with my own ears last year.

I hope it can be held over less populated area instead for the common good of fans and victims both.

szocske wrote:

But if you listen carefully, you can hear the collective sigh of a hundred thousand parents with small children in Budapest as they exhale in relief upon finding out.
The show is spectacular I hear, but the week before is living hell from the continuous practice runs, and I did heard that with my own ears last year.

I hope it can be held over less populated area instead for the common good of fans and victims both.

Hey, I've got small kids and they are very impressed with the planes - they dash to the window to which planes are flying from Farkashegy and many a time we've watched the planes and helicopters at Budaors. Does anyone with little kids actually live opposite the parliament? It's all city down there.

I think it's a mistake to cancel it. Plenty of people come to Budapest because they've seen it on the TV or they've come to the race. They are bringing hotel nights, restaurants, services and so on to the country. I am sure the nett benefit is in excess of the costs. Same for F1.

Some like it loud, some like it quiet :-)
I know a few families first hand who have to evacuate for the practice period because their kids can't take it.
And no, Budapest is not much structured, residential and commercial areas are all intermixed. All riverfront property is commercial of course, but there are people living in the streets starting just behind that.

It's a mistake to cancel, but it could be done in some remote area. Same as F1 :-)
The new M0 bridge lends itself for far more complicated courses and plenty of spectator area on the bridge itself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megyeri_Bridge

szocske wrote:

The new M0 bridge lends itself for far more complicated courses and plenty of spectator area on the bridge itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megyeri_Bridge

Good point. It's a bit out of town with limited viewing opportunities. They'd have to close the bridge as well but indeed, it could be done.

I was thinking the spectators could overtake the bridge for the day.

szocske wrote:

I was thinking the spectators could overtake the bridge for the day.

Yes, I think so. Trouble is that it needs more accessibility. There's almost nothing there. Perhaps barges moored at the sides would work with viewing platforms erected. The location was a major selling point I think though. If it was out of the city, it could be anywhere. Balaton as mentioned previously maybe?

What a sad day, when they cancel this kind of event.  The sight, sound and smell of all those stunt planes racing over the city, and over and under all the bridges on the river, especially when viewed from the vantage of the hilly Buda side, is one of the most exciting city spectacles in the world!  And on the same day as the national celebrations.

Next, you'll be telling me they cancelled the evening fireworks over the city!

Nope, August 20th is still THE day to see the city, with all the other entertainment and events going on everywhere!

They did cut the funding for the fireworks by half I think, but I'm sure it's still going to be spectacular.