How safe is it to book own trip through Rwanda?

I am looking to come out to wonderful Rwanda for 2 weeks in September where tour companies want $$$ for a 7 day itinerary. Is it easy to get around on minibus and how is the safety? My goal is the National Parks (Gorilla) and further south in the N National park where the Chimps are frquent. Is it easy to do this alone or would a tour company be a safer but more expensive better bet?

Hi
There is a good safe bus service BETWEEN CITIES in Rwanda.
It is difficult to get to Nyungwe and impossible to get to see the gorillas without organized transportation.
The alternative to an organized tour is therefore to rent a car and driver. This can easily be done. The usual rate is $250 US per day but you can often bargain down to under $200.
I can recommend Emmy Runiga at the Kigali Tour and Travel Agency, [email protected] .He is pleasant reliable and has access to decent vehicles, and will accomodate your itinerary.
Remember there is a US $ fee of $ 500 for a gorilla permit, which you have to get in advance, best by paying for it in cash in Kigali.
There is an excellent Rwanda travel guide from Brandt. Lonely Planet East Africa also has some info. You should read one or the other.
Have a great trip!
John

why didn't you see gorillas in DR Congo?    is it unsafe?