Moving to Athens

hey guys, me and a friend are moving to Athens as we are starting work for an airline at the airport. we have no idea about which areas are best to look at so we are hoping you can help :) I have a licence but as of yet no car so we would be relying on public transport to get to and from the airport. any information you can give us would be much appreciated :D and obviously nearer the coast the better if possible :):)

thanks x

Hi libstaa,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Since you posted on an old thread, a new discussion was created as from your post on the Athens forum.

When exactly are you moving to Athens? Will it be your first visit?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hi,to tell you that my husband works at Athens airport and we live 1 hour away,we would ideally prefer to live at a place called Loutsa which is like 10 minutes from the airport,next to the sea,where they do a lot of surfing in the summer with the breeze,which of course is very cooling.For young people there are lots of cafe-bars and fun night-life for the summer,the rents are fairly cheap there,you would need the bus into Athens,being close to your job gets you home quickly so you can enjoy your time off,especially when its boiling in the summer,travelling can be a nightmare.A work friend of my husbands is home in 15 minutes.to loutsa.

It depends on what you want from the city. If you think you want to live in the centre and hang out in the places around there then look for around there. You can find good deals on flats if they are unfurnished.

Or if you are looking to be nearer to work and not be in the center so much then Near Chalandri is better.

Hello,it is better you live near to the airport,otherwise traffic will be really a difficulty!
The best area is Porto Rfti with cheap rents,wonderfull place!i was looking for a house or appartment recently in this area,really cheap and very beautifull even at winter..if you need any more help when you reach here,contact me to my personal email to advise..Thanos

hi,
First of all welcome to athens. I wish you and your friend all the best here.
Due to the financial crisis, it will easier for you now to find an appartment. The best area which is close to the beach and pretty close to the airport are LOUTSA, PORTO RAFTI and fantastic in summer. Also PALEO FALIRO, NEA SMYRNH, GLYFADA, AND WHY NOT HLIOUPOLI, but they are not so close if you go by bus.  TRY TO NEGOCIATE THE PRICE, BECAUSE NOW MANY PEOPLE CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY HIGH PRICES.
YOU HAVE TO PAY RENT, KOINOHRISTA (ELECTRICITY FOR THE BUILDING, CLEANING PERSON FOR THE BUILDING (SO ASK TO SEE THE LIST OF PAST MONTHS), ELECTRICITY FOR YOUR OWN APPARTMENT, TELEFON IF YOU WANT (BUT ALWAYS ASK IF THE SEVERAL COMPANIES HAVE NETWORK IN THAT PARTICULAR AREA), WATER BILL.
If you need further Info, you can contact me
regards from Anna

There is metro and trains to the airport. Check the lines and see where you can live that allows you an easy commute. It might be a good start.

The airport is in the middle of nowhere. There are some close villages like Markopoulo. I've seen some foreign pilots living there. But you will need a car or a motorbike to get to work as the bus to the train station is a mess.

hi
tell me your scedules and i cann pick u up
christo
tel:6970037804

what is your nationality?
i cann give yu this sevice without Money just your friendship
tel/;6970037804
mail:[email protected]
regards-no stress-takecare
chris
i wait to  contact me.

Hi filischristo > :/ any introduction of yourself?