New member seeking information about Athens

Hello,

I am not an expat in Athens yet, I joined Expat.com in the hope of finding out what life as an expat in Athens can be like.  My company is probably going to offer me a position in Athens, which will be residential for me and my wife.  I have never visited Athens so at the moment the only impression is from what appears on TV News channels in the UK, which paint a picture of hardships caused by the austerity measures in place, riots, food shortage etc - not a great picture, but probably not true if one has a decent job and salary.  I would be greatfull for any feedback,  I am interested in the quality of life after work, amongst other interests we enjoy the typical mediteranean sidewalk cafe culture.  My wife used to be a teacher and now a volunteer at the local hospital, she is interested in volunteer work in Athens, but we believe that the language barrier will be an issue here.

Rigpig1951

I have lived in Athens all my life. I was born here, I was educated here, I made friends here, I studied here, I worked here and, if I had the opportunities to go after my dreams in this country in general, I would definitely not try to leave.
That means that if your employer is going to pay you well and if you have a family and children, you should take this decision. I won't lie by telling you that leaving in Athens is exotic. The Acropolis and the historical wealth of the city are granted, but the city is big and, unfortunately, a little chaotic. The crisis makes the center look a little abandoned, but there are pleasant neighborhoods off the center to stay. Even better, there are magical places to visit all over Greece and all over the year.
There are things that you will hate in Greeks, I do as well. Many of them will park on sidewalks and the pedestrians have NOT the right of way. Strikes of social and working groups take place because of austerity measures, often paralyzing the country. But there are also things that you will love in the greek way of life. If you take the decision, try to adopt new diet habits (oil, fresh salads, olives, feta, chalvas, pies with wild herbs are some examples and all of them in abundance). Let your children learn the language, let them and yourselves start thinking in this language -this is my privilege of being Greek, otherwise do not expect that there is some Greek DNA from my ancestors still running in my veins.
Make your hobby visiting the museums of Athens, it is really relaxing and makes you proud of living in Greece. There are many opportunities in this crisis that spring up, through which you will definitely be easily adapted. I think you should remain positive and not try to detect all the ills and the negative aspects that exist in all countries and cities of the world.
Besides, this period of crisis is one more reason why all of the wrongdoings come up in the surface; for me, it is our opportunity to correct them -if only our politicians could grace this holy country. Then ask your employer whether you can change your mind in a year or two, in order to go back to UK in case you don't like it in Athens.
I am sorry that my reply is so long. I just understand that you can't take your decision lightly and, thereby, I tried to give you as much information as possible. Maybe I could send you some more in the future. Why don't you start checking what you can do if you move in Greece and in particular in Athens...? Here are some ideas: http://www.namuseum.gr/object-month/201 … 2-en.html,http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en,http://atenistas.org/guides/,http://www.chios.com/ for summer vacation...

Well, mass mediacan sell you many things based on truths.

It is true that there are riots, but battles happen around syntagma square. It is true that many people is having problem to buy food, but supermarkets have what you might need (no shortages). Healthcare is a bit chaotic, it would be much better if you find a private one. For small issues it can save you some time.

And don't worry about the language,  many people speak english and other languages, even not so well educated people.

I am a Greek Canadian living in Athens for the last 3 years. I came right when the crisis started, still dont have a full time job, but have managed to get by - without "starving".
I agree with both posts above... it can be chaotic.. and yes there are many people who are having a hard time with the austerity measures and their lives have become more difficult... but I dont think it is as bad as presented on the news. You WILL be able to go out, you will enjoy your coffees on sidewalks and by the sea and you CAN have a great time, considering you will have a full time job. I do not think it will be as bad as we are portrayed. Nonetheless, you will have to adjust to a "different" way of life than you may be used to, but that would happen whether there is an economic crisis or not. The lifestyle in Athens is generally different than the UK and so are the people. It could be a good or bad thing depending on the type of person you are and your character :)

Hello!

Do you know somebody local from chios or lesvos island?

Hi
while it's true that the crisis and austerity have had a major impact on Greece and it's people, the media coverage isn't exactly balanced. They tend to exaggerate things and dwell mainly on the bleak and the negative. The truth is that in Athens, life goes on- people go to work, socialize, shop, etc, Definitely less than before, but they still do. There is a huge expat community and lots of volunteer organizations both Greek and International. Yes life is hard if you can't speak the lingo but there are lots of courses for foreigners. Ooh, and there's a sidewalk cafe every few meters lol
Hope I've helped