Which city in VN is cheap?

HCMC is not cheap for long stay. Have a month left, budget not great, wanna know which major city in Vietnam has low cost of living for travellers?

my city ^_^ Southwest of Vietnam, it is 200kms from South of HCMC .
Yes, seriously, I'm not kidding,
Generally, the noodle soup costs 12.000 VND ~ 50cent, Sugar can juice = 5.000 VND, Rice (BBQ pork) = 20.000 VND ~ 1USD
As of July 2011, a foreigner friend stayed in a hotel near my house paid 1.500.000 VND/month ~ 70USD. Now I don't know how much it will be. There is a law that all the foreigners can't stay in a boarding house, hostel, unless they have a working permitt. Well, working right now, couldnt think more to write,  if you are still looking for it, contact me, I can help a little: finding a place, asking around,....
Nguyen

i would suggest you my city: Can Tho :)

alicele wrote:

Thanks alicle,
Can you give a guide on accommodation costs in Can Tho, for approx 3 weeks?

Stay far away from big city.  Our two and a half weeks trip to HCMC is a little over $4000..but because we were spoiling ourselves.

Would like to stay in a coastal city and chilled out for the next month on the beach. Been to Nha Trang, not bad. But, thinking of staying in Danang. How's the cost there compared to HCMC or Nha Trang or any other major city? Maybe also Phan Thiet, Hue, or Haiphong.

U kidding ... I Ve stayed at go vap & some parts of Hcm . My budget is very low .
Which part of southwest ? I ll be back 3 days to Vietnam .
Any good stuff ?

Citsym wrote:
alicele wrote:

Thanks alicle,

Why not check it out online at agoda.com or many other sites that specialize in accommodation.

Also check out www.numbeo.com just type in the city or place you want and this will give you an idea of costs etc.

Cheers...will do

Hello...
From Airport to District takes about 20 minutes. You can find the food, service about  rent house that are very cheap.
You can stay in hotel VND 150 000/ per month approx. USD 7.2. Besides, you can taste many traditional food.
People are very friendliy and willing to support you when you need.
If you need any help, pls let me know and I will support you.

Good luck to you

zen4994 wrote:

Hello...
From Airport to District takes about 20 minutes. You can find the food, service about  rent house that are very cheap.
You can stay in hotel VND 150 000/ per month approx. USD 7.2. Besides, you can taste many traditional food.
People are very friendliy and willing to support you when you need.
If you need any help, pls let me know and I will support you.

Good luck to you

is this a typo?   if not what district is this?

If it is indeed that cheap there may be a mass migration to there.... :D

@zen4994- 150,000 per month $7.20 , ha ha ha

(((( Jason1975 ---U kidding ... I Ve stayed at go vap & some parts of Hcm . My budget is very low .
Which part of southwest ? I ll be back 3 days to Vietnam .
Any good stuff ?))))

to:.................

:) no kidding :)
It's Long Xuyen city - one of Mekong Delta's cities. There's no cinema, no huge department store, plaza, no pub... BUT.. food is good, really good, and cheap :)
BUT... the countryside is beautiful, if you want to explore, travel to another districts far away 60kms, 65kms: go trekking, visit handicraft villages, Islamic villages, tiny islands...
BUT... if people think everywhere they go, they always get bored, think twice, you only get bored when you limit what you knew already, already saw. I spend my entire life in my hometown, I never hate it :)
just my 2 vietnam dong :) Happy finding your way, trying to be happy with what you have :)

No city is cheap until you spent some time and effort to find the cheapest one!

Hello.

District 12 and Hoc Mon district is cheap food. I am sure of that.

Thanks.

I lived in Tan Binh just on the edge of D12, dirt cheap to eat and drink. Living,eating and drinking around D1 is expensive and overrated.

Citsym wrote:
alicele wrote:

Thanks alicle,

There is a cheap hotel close to the water front called Kim Long Hotel. The owner's name is Trung, he is a good guy. I lived there for 3 months when I first arrived in CanTho, I think I was paying $10-14 a night. Clean, hot water, aircon, fast internet... no complaints :)

Good luck!

BradCanTho wrote:
Citsym wrote:
alicele wrote:

Thanks alicle,

There is a cheap hotel close to the water front called Kim Long Hotel. The owner's name is Trung, he is a good guy. I lived there for 3 months when I first arrived in CanTho, I think I was paying $10-14 a night. Clean, hot water, aircon, fast internet... no complaints :)

Good luck!

Thanks Brad... appreciate the guide
Alex

Dalat, and you can get out of the heat!  5 bucks for a hostel, 8 for a room.   My anh hotel, Tan Da street.

Go on agoda   You can get a nice room for 400,000.    (Moderated: Inappropriate posting)

Thirding Cần Thơ.  Í live in a nice house with a yard, four stories, fruit trees, fish pond, live-n housekeeper, fiber internet .. 20 mill a month.

There's more to do here now, theater, mall with grocery carrying lots of western items.  Vastly less crowded than Saigon, less polluted.  Bad littler problem, though.

We have guest rooms for friends to use.

goodbyeLenin wrote:

As of July 2011, a foreigner friend stayed in a hotel near my house paid 1.500.000 VND/month ~ 70USD. Now I don't know how much it will be. There is a law that all the foreigners can't stay in a boarding house, hostel, unless they have a working permitt.

Can you or someone else please expound on this? I've never heard of that...are you saying your friend was only able to stay there because he was working or that the law didn't apply because it was a hotel? 1.5 million is dirt cheap...I asked around a few hotels in a nearby city (Tra Vinh) and didn't find anything even remotely close to that price, in fact the hotels I spoke to didn't offer any kind of weekly or monthly rate. Some said they'd be willing to knock a couple of dollars off of the daily rate or pay for 6 days get one free...the daily rates were 210k (extremely small room with single bed, I stayed in it for 1 night only) to 300k+.

The cost for living in HCMC and Hanoi is rather expensive. If you wanna a cheap place for traveling  long time, you can go to Mekong Delta (near HCMC), or you can experience more culture, history in Da Nang – Hue – Hoi An (the central of Vietnam). By the way, if you travel in Mekong Delta, I think you should come to HCMC for walking around the city, and Cu Chi Tunnels.

Bien Hoa half an hour from Saigon. For us a married couple we spend less than a mil per month on food. Electricity 250k. Noodle soup dish 15k and coffee every morning gossiping with the neighbours 6k. Free internet.

I live on the canal in District Phu Nhuan 5 to 10 mins from airport, aircon,  ensuite, sat TV free wifi 4.5 mill dong per month,
[img align=http://s5.postimg.org/l4kdvyrj7/View_from_the_bed_in_room_403.jpg]View from room[/img]

How is that possible to spend under 1 million dongs a month on food??????????? That's about $50, right. I could not do it.

Eat breakfast out rest of meal cook/hunt at home. Save even more if you are a drinker as you get invited to people's house.

khanh44 wrote:

Eat breakfast out rest of meal cook/hunt at home. Save even more if you are a drinker as you get invited to people's house.

And obviously never invite people back to your house to return the invitation?  ( Khanh, that's an unusual name for a Frenchman? ),

bluenz wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

And obviously never invite people back to your house to return the invitation?  ( Khanh, that's an unusual name for a Frenchman? ),

Even eating at home in VN, I couldn't spend only $50 a month. That's too little, almost like survival mode. I would look like a toothpick. Not a pretty site either.

Depends on your thrift you can live any place with a cheap budget. But you should be able to find out that cheapest one whether it is room/apartment  or food. Cooking at home is not cheap but we can eat hygienic and healthy food. If eat out surely you can find out better food serving places with a reasonable rate. If you want to stay long time better wash and iron your clothes yourself. Because laundry always mix others clothes together and wash. As a result your clothes may be more dirty with fibers and dust. I checked it myself in many laundries and stopped.

wouldn`t look to agoda, they add 20% to room cost, try bookings.com or hostelbooker.com

MIA2013 wrote:
bluenz wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Even eating at home in VN, I couldn't spend only $50 a month. That's too little, almost like survival mode. I would look like a toothpick. Not a pretty site either.

How much would you say you would spend on food in a month then?

It all comes down to how you eat, if you are a meat eater its expensive, if your into vegetables and soups its damn cheap.

@D.Cali

If you are (living) in VN then ask the locals and expats if possible. Keep in mind their budgets ,lifestyles, and localities are going to be major factors in your decision . My situation is different because I only stay in Vietnam for 3 months out of a year at my family vacation home in the country. I didn't have a budget for food, because all the money I brought was disposable income. I ate and drank several times a day and anything that I wanted. Of course, when I traveled or stayed at high end hotels the cost went up exponentially.

MIA2013 wrote:

@D.Cali

If you are (living) in VN then ask the locals and expats if possible. Keep in mind their budgets ,lifestyles, and localities are going to be major factors in your decision . My situation is different because I only stay in Vietnam for 3 months out of a year at my family vacation home in the country. I didn't have a budget for food, because all the money I brought was disposable income. I ate and drank several times a day and anything that I wanted. Of course, when I traveled or stayed at high end hotels the cost went up exponentially.

That's what it's been like for me, I'm at my grandmother's villa in the country, and the food and drinks have been plentiful and of course free, however I haven't been able to travel very much, only a few times to the city, and once to a church my aunt wanted to see, but I think that might be a bit different than grocery shopping. I've heard some people say they live off $50 a month total after rent of course, which to me seems a bit drastic.

Hi there,
I recommend for you some cheap city in Viet Nam:
Hanoi, Vietnam
Vietnam's cheapest city for backpackers is also one that gets high marks from most visitors with its unique combination of French colonial and Asian post-communism. The food is also top-notch, especially when you are sitting amongst locals at one of the thousands of plastic-chair cafes throughout the city. Keep costs even lower by sticking with Bia Hoi, the world's cheapest beer. Hostel beds are cheap, but private rooms are too, so don't automatically book a bunk.
•    Currency: Vietnamese dong
•    Cheap/good hostel: Lake Side Hostel – 94,420/night
•    Transportation: 40,000
•    Meals: 144,000
•    Drinks/Entertainment: 36,000
•    Attractions: 30,000
•    Daily Backpacker Index: VND334,420 = US$15.86/day
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Saigon, as it's still usually known, is far more sprawling and modern compared to Hanoi, and it's quite a bit more lively as well. Hotel and food prices tend to be a bit higher than elsewhere in Vietnam, but compared to almost anywhere else in the world this is a bargain. Hostel beds can be quite cheap in Saigon, but hotels are costlier than almost anywhere in Vietnam.
•    Cheap/good hostel: My My Arthouse – 118,820/night
•    Transportation: 30,000
•    Meals: 158,000
•    Drinks/Entertainment: 45,000
•    Attractions: 25,000
•    Daily Backpacker Index: VND384,820 = US$18.25/day
Hoi An, Vietnam
Until you are actually planning a trip to Vietnam you'd be excused for never having heard of Hoi An, which is just south of Danang on the central coast. But Hoi An is a very popular stop for those touring the country, and it ends up being the trip highlight for a great number of those. The old town is a perfectly preserved Chinese-style fishing village, and the city is as filled with great and cheap restaurants as it is with tailor shops. Since there are no real hostels with dorm beds in Hoi An, the city appears lower on this list than it deserves to be. It's cheaper than Saigon, except that you have to stay in a hotel instead of a hostel.
•    Cheap/good hostel: Sunflower Hotel – 190,000/night
•    Transportation: 30,000
•    Meals: 144,000
•    Drinks/Entertainment: 36,000
•    Attractions: 30,000
•    Daily Backpacker Index: VND490,000 = $23.23/day

Quang Ngi City is nice and inexpensive. Close to the beach, few tourists.

Budget Hostel Cong Quynh, Pham Ngu Lao, Dict. 1

Many budget hotels are in HCMC lower than 35USD per night. you can search on Agoda or booking.com.