Average $$ electricity power consumption in Vietnam?

Hi there,

i was wondering whether anybody out there can tell me how do i estimate or calculate the electricity power consumption based on an average room ? My room have a Samsung 29" TV (average turn on 5hrs/day), a small fridge (on all the time), a water heater (average usage once a day), PC set (hardly turn on), laptop (average usage 5hrs/day), 2 fluorescent tube lights (hardly turn on), a small desk lamp (average usage 6 hrs/day) and lastly a 1HP air conditioner (average 11hrs/day).

I just need to know with all these usage, how much per month (estimation) would i need to pay because at the moment i stay in a house share with other friends and the electricity bill delivered every month show the total consumption, thus i do not know roughly how much for my room only.

Appreciate anyone who can help me here !

Thanks

Davies

I don't know what the average is in VN, but the 'rough' electrical calculations for the equipment/hours you stated is about 8-10 KWh / day or about 250-300 KWh (Kilowatt Hours) per month. I believe the rate in VN is approx. $.06 US/KWh, so this would be approx. $15 - $18 USD per month (plus any monthly 'base fee'). Hope this helps.

By the way ... the air conditioning is accounting for approx. 2/3 of your overall usage ... probably why most Vietnamese don't use air conditioning much.

The basic formula is:

kWh = kW × hr

Therefore if you have a TV and it sucks 500W/hour (look on Google for consumption) it means that for every two hours it burns one kilowatt (1000 watts).

Similarly, a 100 watt light can burn for 10 hours and consume a kilowatt.

If you look at < http://www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm > you will see a handy calculator to figure everything out.

A lot of Vietnamese in rural areas burn under 100 kilowatts a month which is why there is a special rate for them.

Dear Saigon Visitor & Jaitch,

Thanks for the detailed explanation and i finally managed to estimate my own room power consumption. I may not be familiar with all the calculation but based on the formula given I am able to calculate how much i've use average per month.

Cheers

How much it cost 1 kw/h in ho chi minh city vietnam?

Vietnam has different rates:  residential, business, and overall usage.  It penalizes those households that consume more electricity.  If I remember correctly, it starts with the first 50 kws, at the lowest rate (residential), and goes from there...  It gets really nasty when you go into the 1000 kws range, for business.

Saigon Visitor wrote:

By the way ... the air conditioning is accounting for approx. 2/3 of your overall usage ... probably why most Vietnamese don't use air conditioning much.

Actually a lot of them use A/C when they sleep, they turn the ac down to 16-18 then throw a blanket on to keep warm. One of my friends told me he does it to keep the mozzies away, I suggested using mozzie coils, its way cheaper.

Wild_1 wrote:

Vietnam has different rates:  residential, business, and overall usage.  It penalizes those households that consume more electricity.  If I remember correctly, it starts with the first 50 kws, at the lowest rate (residential), and goes from there...  It gets really nasty when you go into the 1000 kws range, for business.

NOW I understand the warm beer and unsanitary ice

Not mentioning about different rates, which is true, the average also depends on which the provider of electricity (as well as water) of your area and which policies they use in the area as well.
For example: my house in D.7 have 2 water suppliers, one charges more than VND10.000/m3 which is a contractor of Phu My Hung, the other charges VND5.000/m3 which is a government owned company.
In some area, the electricity is supplied directly from government owned companies, hence the price must be cheaper. In some areas/buildings like special buildings, Phu My Hung, electricity and water is provided by the contractors who signed with the land/project owner. The price there will be raised but it means the quality of water is better, stronger, more stable and you won't care about the power being shutted down sometimes unknowingly or uninformed in advanced.

In a nutshell, the average depends on which service provider and which service package you apply for your residence.

lucky you, in Perth we pay $1: 84/ m3 or kilolitre= 1000 litre thats 36,800 VND and that is for the first 266 kilolitres then it increses to $2:607/ kilolitre

If the aircon is on half the day you are looking at paying around $40 a month. This estimation factors in all of your other power usage. Air conditioners really use that much electricity.

mark stutley wrote:

lucky you, in Perth we pay $1: 84/ m3 or kilolitre= 1000 litre thats 36,800 VND and that is for the first 266 kilolitres then it increses to $2:607/ kilolitre

Yes,but in Perth the average wage is not 2000usd a year.

valid point, well pointed. OOOOOOOOOOOps

That's in the hand of your landlord...
i have the same question btw

hmd63 wrote:

That's in the hand of your landlord...
i have the same question btw

IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE TO RESELL electricity in VietNam UNLESS they have a contract with EVN. At the last condominium I rented at the builder was paying the main bill (the condominium was unregistered and they had to pay commercial rates).

I complained to EVN about the wrong charges and the reselling process so they fined him and ordered a refund for the 5-year period to all the unit occupiers.

Electricity rates are tiered, the more you use the higher the kilowatt charge. Water, for most forum members, is flat rate per cubic meter. If you use extremely low amounts they have special 'poor people' rates.

Calculating consumption is easy. If you know the wattage, and the time, 1000 watts burned in an hour is a UNIT.

AMPS X VOLTS = WATTS
=====================
If an appliance is rated at 5 amps (@ 120V), the load is 600 watts per hour( 5A X 120V = 600W).

Watts aren't sufficient to measure your power consumption.  Watts are multiplied by hours and/or fractions of an hour to come up with watt hours.

WATTS  X  HOURS   = WATT HOURS
=============================
i.e. A 5 amp load for 8 hours a day would come to 4800 watt-hours per day (( 5A X 120V = 600W) X 8hr =4800 watt hours).

Your electrical bill is calculated in kilowatt hours which is just watt hours divided by 1000.

Hi,

Assembling this to your room. I just pay about 3000/Wat
http://rongbay10.vcmedia.vn/thumb_max/up_new/2013/07/01/0/201307145412_dong_ho_dien.jpg

Regards

koksiewng64 wrote:

Hi there,

i was wondering whether anybody out there can tell me how do i estimate or calculate the electricity power consumption based on an average room ? My room have a Samsung 29" TV (average turn on 5hrs/day), a small fridge (on all the time), a water heater (average usage once a day), PC set (hardly turn on), laptop (average usage 5hrs/day), 2 fluorescent tube lights (hardly turn on), a small desk lamp (average usage 6 hrs/day) and lastly a 1HP air conditioner (average 11hrs/day).

I just need to know with all these usage, how much per month (estimation) would i need to pay because at the moment i stay in a house share with other friends and the electricity bill delivered every month show the total consumption, thus i do not know roughly how much for my room only.

Thanks

Davies

You should have a separate elec meter to measure the amount of elec you use. Installing it is cheap and affordable that the landlord should shell out from the start (as my mother did so, or the renters would complain about unfairness).

About air conditioning, it consume elec like crazy, but using it is purely personal preference. I would turn it off, or leave it at 24-26 degree C, but I know a lot of other would like to turn it on overnight,.

For your reference, a house of 4 adults, one infant, with 3 working adults, is using 350 to 400 units of measurement, with 1 AC only at night but two fridges.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

Assembling this to your room. I just pay about 3000/Wat
http://rongbay10.vcmedia.vn/thumb_max/u … o_dien.jpg

Regards

koksiewng64 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks

Davies

200/250 000 VND, so 10-12 USD is my guess. This calculation has already a profit od 5 USD for landlord in

I pay for 2 offices, 20 PCs (around the clock) and a whole 1 house about 2.2 million VND a month (if less power cuts, it could be a bit more.That are 1 big, normal sized and small fridge, hot/cold water dispensers  and loads of fans. However, no airco.  Hot water and cooking is electric

No round-the-clock fans? You have twenty PC running, you need at least one industrial fan or the air become very hot.

EDIT: reading comprehension fail! Mea cupa~

ParadiseCruiser wrote:

No round-the-clock fans? You have twenty PC running, you need at least one industrial fan or the air become very hot.

"and loads of fans"

over 2 offices, so one is not  really enough to cover distance of almost 10km

l3ully wrote:

200/250 000 VND, so 10-12 USD is my guess. This calculation has already a profit od 5 USD for landlord in

What do you mean?

By the way, I dont know how the landlord adjusts this electric meter. My friend lives in a big house with many rooms and she rents one of the rooms. She said Those meters "run" very fast. I think they changes sth there right?

Dejavu.dot wrote:
l3ully wrote:

What do you mean?

By the way, I don't know how the landlord adjusts this electric meter. My friend lives in a big house with many rooms and she rents one of the rooms. She said Those meters "run" very fast. I think they changes sth there right?

As I said above LLs CANNOT RESELL ELECTRICITY LEGALLY WITHOUT AN AGREEMENT with EVN. The reason is because so many LL were ripping tenants off.

ALSO try turning your supply OFF and see anyone else complains about no power - LL often cross connect meters and wiring!

Dejavu.dot wrote:
l3ully wrote:

What do you mean?

By the way, I dont know how the landlord adjusts this electric meter. My friend lives in a big house with many rooms and she rents one of the rooms. She said Those meters "run" very fast. I think they changes sth there right?

http://d1u0vyj1e00z8y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sock-puppet.jpg

http://www.bruce-starke.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/AstroTurf.jpg

I just read a newspaper. The landlord can cheat lodgers by:

1. Use a chinese power equipment to connect to electric network
2. Change the lead in elec meter/stop sth rotating there
3. build up a system under the wall when they build up the house with a remote control to effect elec meter
4. Use galvanometer which has a flattened copper rod, about 1 cm wide, one end of the copper rod and sharpening curved sickle. This copper rod inserted threaded through the galvanometer plastic box, with wires exposed at the foam on the Müller-phase power cable design. The other end of the bar is the same plug, power socket pins on the right side of the galvanometer, have the effect of turning the galvanometer drive slow or no spin.

They dont sell electric illegally jaitch. Lodges will pay for their elec using and give them electric income. It also happens with water.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

They dont sell electric illegally jaitch. Lodges will pay for their elec using and give them electric income. It also happens with water.

AGAIN, selling electricity WITHOUT AN AGREEMENT WITH EVN IS ILLEGAL.

It's the law. Period.

(I knicked an unregistered condominium and they had to refund for 5 years - EVN prosecuted the case)

Its also illegal to drive up the road the wrong way,run red lights,writing fake land titles. Since when something being illegal stopped anyone.

colinoscapee wrote:

Its also illegal to drive up the road the wrong way,run red lights,writing fake land titles. Since when something being illegal stopped anyone.

When EVN gets a complaint served up complete with evidence. EVN can cut power, and does, if their service is abused.

Jaitch wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

When EVN gets a complaint served up complete with evidence. EVN can cut power, and does, if their service is abused.

Yes, thats right. Same as most utilities.

With three people  living here, we are running a microwave / grill oven, fridge freezer, 2 fans, air con in the bedroom (used at night), big screen tv (lounge), medium screen tv (bedroom), small tv (second bedroom) electric kettle, rice cooker, 3 x laptops, 3 mobile phones, 2 electric showers, a (troi oi) karaoke hi fi amp with base unit, sundry stuff like a smoothie maker, food processor, food whizzers and infra red cooker.

Our electric bill is around 400kD a month, but we have no flourescent lights or incandescent bulbs, all lighting is by very economical LED.

Scarletvn wrote:

For example: my house in D.7 have 2 water suppliers, one charges more than VND10.000/m3 which is a contractor of Phu My Hung, the other charges VND5.000/m3 which is a government owned company.
In some area, the electricity is supplied directly from government owned companies, hence the price must be cheaper. In some areas/buildings like special buildings, Phu My Hung, electricity and water is provided by the contractors who signed with the land/project owner. The price there will be raised but it means the quality of water is better, stronger, more stable and you won't care about the power being shutted down sometimes unknowingly or uninformed in advanced.

A friend who lives in the swamp at the end if Phu Thuan, Quan 7 in a high rise condominium as a tenant showed me his Maintenance Fee invoice. The crooked condominium was selling water to Foreigners at the highest rate.

We went down to Nuoc Nha Be, the government owned entity that supplies water well beyond just Quan 7, and we were advised that no one can resell their water at a cost higher than the published rates.

For residential, these are: 0-4m3/5,300(water)+530(BVMT)+265(VAT) for a total of VND6,095; 4-6m3 is total cost of VND11,730; 6-unlimited is a total cost of 13,110/m3.

EVN rates are national and cannot be resold for a profit. Unless a landlord has a contract with EVN, which stipulates resale price as same as theirs, they cannot resell to make a profit. Condominium building common elements are considered to be 'residential'. Only registered condominiums can get residential rates!

Go on amazon. Com and buy a couple electric meters you can buy inline ones and plug ins. You could even run to the electric store here and buy a cheap meter and wire it up to anything you want to check.  All those who rent to others here add anywhere from 10 to 30 percent per kilowatt to increase. Cash flow.  Pretty simple. Everyone giving you math didn't know what condition. Your machines are I air con old? Not clean? Unplug your TV when not in use. Huge hog . You can wire a cheap meter here online or ad plugs to it for like 20 bucks.  Yes a little globe meter.

Just noticed the OP was 2 1/2 years ago!.  And I see he found a method for calculating his share.
But this seems to have changes to discussion on Electricity Rates, so ....

But anyway latest electricity rates.
In a Vietnamese apt block with rate controls
First 48 kw   are at 1388 dong/kw
next  48 kw        at 1433 dong/kw
next  97 kw       at  1660 dong/kw
next rate           is   2082 dong/kw

My bills for at 50m2 one bed apt with one fridge, Flow thru HWS and A/C for sleeping
Nov   41kw   => 62,599  (I was away and only GF stayed, ie no AC)
Dec   145kw => 236,277
Jan   218kw => 383,326
Feb   168kw => 280,421

Last year in a Service Apartment in Thao Dien Hem 216  (Top floor with 2 A/c)
Aug     503 kw @3150  = 1,584,450 vnd
Sept    417kw @ 3150  = 1,313,550 vnd

So now using less, but rate is way less too.

I was quoted when Apartment hunting elec rates of 3000 - 4500/kwH
So much for pricing controls!!!!

Found this

evn.com.vn/EVN-khach-hang/EVN-khach-hang/Gia-dien/Bieu-gia-ban-dien/Bieu-gia-ban-le-dien/Index.aspx

now to fins a phone number on which to complain ...........    hmmm no luck there