Starting your own business in Cape Verde

I have responded to your email message.
Regards,
Henry

HELLO MR CV ANGELO.     MY NAME IS MR OBAGO I AM  FROM NIGERIA I WANT TO COME FOR A BUSINESS SURVEY IN CAPE VERDE THIS MONTH END    BUT THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT I HEAR THAT THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS   DONT LIKE BLACK COMING TO CAPE VERDE AND THEY SAY IF U ARE NOT CAREFULL THEY WILL DEPORT U BACK  TO YOUR COUNTRY   I NEED BOTH OF US TO DISSCUSS ABTY MY COMING TO CAPE VERDE SO I  WILL NOT MAKE ANY  MISTAKE  .*

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share personal contact infos on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.
OBAGO wrote:

HELLO MR CV ANGELO.     MY NAME IS MR OBAGO I AM  FROM NIGERIA I WANT TO COME FOR A BUSINESS SURVEY IN CAPE VERDE THIS MONTH END    BUT THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT I HEAR THAT THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS   DONT LIKE BLACK COMING TO CAPE VERDE AND THEY SAY IF U ARE NOT CAREFULL THEY WILL DEPORT U BACK  TO YOUR COUNTRY   I NEED BOTH OF US TO DISSCUSS ABTY MY COMING TO CAPE VERDE SO I  WILL NOT MAKE ANY  MISTAKE ***

Hi Obago,

The only advice I could give you is that under immigration laws, you may come as a visitor on holiday or to investigate business opportunities without a problem. You will need to produce the following documents and information:

1.A return plane ticket
2. The name of the hotel at which you will be staying including your reservations
3. Demonstration that you have sufficient funds available to pay for your stay including room and board for your entire stay

It's that simple.

If you plan to come for a longer period, for example to start an operate a business, you can extend your stay if you then provide the business registration documents plus your various contracts for rental of business location, etc. You can get all of that in order, while you are here on vacation.

-what are the document one will need to start a business in cape verde if you are not from cape verde becos 'm considering moving to the country by next yr ? .
-and what are the likely business that  one can invest on for start ?.
-pls can i get your email address or any contact sir ?

BeNaZ101 wrote:

-what are the document one will need to start a business in cape verde if you are not from cape verde becos 'm considering moving to the country by next yr ? .
-and what are the likely business that  one can invest on for start ?.
-pls can i get your email address or any contact sir ?

First, you must be able to legally enter Cape Verde. That is a whole other issue. You can read all of the extensive postings on the forum about how that works and what documents you will need to legally be admitted to enter the country.

However, you don't need any documents to start a business in CV other than your identification (such as a passport). You simply have to register the business at the business registration offices which is called Casa de Cidadão. The application is entirely in Portuguese. If you don't speak the language or unless you have someone who speaks the language to execute on the ground, I would strongly advise that you NOT start a business here as it will be extremely difficult for you.

Cabo Verde is an extremely small market and the consumers are very poor. If you are thinking of a business to serve the local population, then think about what poor people need most: food and clothing. In addition, mobile technology can be lucrative. But you can imagine that it is extremely competitive in those sectors, and you should not hope to make large amounts of money as the market simply is too small by definition to generate such profits.

Business owners here simply make a living. It is the alternative to trying to find a job because the economy is too small to generate sufficient jobs. If you want to be rich, look elsewhere towards markets that have millions of consumers. Cape Verde is not the place to invest unless you are planning to serve foreigners (like tourists) or foreign markets using Cape Verde as a base of operations.

Bom dia
Returning to CV Feb/March 17 for searching where/what/how to set up a small business during every winter season from 2017/18 Oct to April.
I would like to get in touch with locals/residents before this journey in order to get information on different issues. I already have contacts on Maio island but I'm probably more interested in a small project on Santiago island, e.x. Ribeira Grande/Praia region.
The project is not yet 100%  defined because it always depends on the local possibilities & oportunities but I already have some ideas but I am open to adjust. Since I have most experience in hotel/catering and tourism business it most probably goes into that direction. My 3 "has to be":
1. Earing money to at least partially pay my life on CV during my stay
2. Cooperation with local people so they can also earn something
3. Helping/setting up a small local charity project (perhaps in combination with the plastic/rubish problems)
I am looking forward to getting some reaction/reply. Thank you and regards, Ro

It sound like good idea to work start a business in hotel/catering but as you must read do noy expect to earn a lot of money from it. I believe you can make a decent living.  I was in CV 3 weeks ago and I want start business there but I will take my timword to analyse the condition as Cape Verdean personally I can see your point you live a good life there, the Chinese, Portuguese, and Italian, etc ;are doing business so why can't we do it as well.
Let me know how it's going . .I am from Santiago

You should really do your homework before investing here in CV. Do not trust the feedback from locals. Most are poor and not particularly knowlegeable about such things. they will tell you what you wish to hear. And those who are more informed will also tell you what you wish to hear because they will see it as an opportunity to extract funds from you.

You must be extremely careful. Only trust the hard economic data. It is there on the website of the INE (Institute of National Statistics). But it is in Portuguese (though it can be translated).

The market for products and services provided to locals is extremely small in terms of revenues that can be generated. The reason is that the total population is only 500,000 who are predominantly poor and they are divided among 9 islands, with Santiago holding 50% of the country's population.

It sounds like you may be interested in the eco-tourism area. Tourism is a long established sector but eco-tourism is a new sub-sector. The supporting infra-structure is extremely lacking. And only about 10% of the tourists who come to CV are to be found in Santiago. Most of the eco-tourism is found on the island of Santo Antao.

My whole point here is to go in with your eyes wide open, trust only the hard data, and be realistic about how much business you can generate. In many cases, many investors have learned the reality only after unsustainable losses. Only a fraction of the italian, french and portuguese business people who invested here are successful. Those who have been successful have found a small niche serving either locals or tourists, and even so it is not easy for anyone. But your expectations appear to have been set at realistic levels (you are looking for a business to finance only part of your costs of living here).

Regards and good luck,

Angelo

Dear Angelo
Thank you very much for your interesting reply.
Like everywhere in the world, one has to be very careful meeting or even listening to people. I do hope I will find a trustworthy person who can help me to deal with the local authorities and those who want to sell to me or do business with me. I am not naive to think that they all want to only make me pleasure but most of them want to get the most out of me....
I'm not a rich man with only modest savings so I cannot look for a huge investment in CV. But I have long experiences in the hotel and catering business so I want to find a small businss according to the local situation. I am flexible (one has to be) to adopt to the local and above all affordable opportunities. The range is streching from a small icecream kiosk to a tapas (small dishes) lounge to a small bed&breakfast etc.
For the moment I have contacts and a project (nothing decided yet) on the island of Maio but I am very keen on finding an opportunity in Ribeira Grande de Santiago which I find a very nice place with a lot of potential in future. Having spent only 3 days in November, I want to have a better look at this "World heritage" on my next visit in Feb/March 17.
Hoping to keep in touch with you I remain
Faithfully, RoM

Hi RoM,

It's good to see that you would be very careful. And as you recognized, 3 days are not nearly enough to really get even an initial grasp of the validity of any business concept here.

You keep referring to the World Heritage site at Ribeira Grande. You should refer to it as Cidade Velha which is the name by which all the local residents call it. It definitely has potential for a small business catering to the tourists and some locals.

So definitely keep in touch. I would be happy to direct you to the appropriate resources and local authorities upon your return. But again, as I noted in my last message, do not trust ANYONE here unless you know them extremely well and/or they are recommended to you by someone trustworthy.

Angelo

Dear Angelo,

In your post you have mentioned about "labor laws of Cape Verde", can you please provide me the link of documents/pdf files about the labor laws of Cape Verde which I can download and try to understand it.

Regards,
Salaam Namaste

Please Angelo, can you hint me some of these mistakes?thanks

There isn't any need for links or reading through dozens of pages of laws. Suffice it to say that the law gives substantial preference to employees. Once you hire them, it is extremely difficult to fire them except at high cost. If you get taken to court by an employee, the courts almost never rule in favor of the employer. Thus employees effectively have a job for life.

Employers are required to provide employees with an employment contract. In other words, employment is not "at will". Employers can indeed initially hire the prospective employee for a probationary period of up to 6 months, and they can repeat that probationary (or temporary) contract for another period of up to 6 months. the worker can be dismissed if they do not survive the probationary term. However, upon the second renewal of the temporary contract, the worker must be provided a contract that renews automatically at least annually (and if no contract is provided, the employer is assumed to have given a PERMANENT employment contract for life, which is no different than an AUTOMATICALLY renewing annual contract). Technically, thereafter probation, a worker can be dismissed only for cause, but they must be essentially given another chance to correct their errant performance. As you can imagine, it could take months or years to document poor performance. And even so, the courts almost never agree with the cause. And hence my contention that workers are effectively employed for life.

No worker here ever leaves a job voluntarily...for example, workers here do not aspire to grow. So they do not search out new opportunities in the hopes of learning new skills and gaining broader experiences. They simply try to get a job collecting a monthly salary and then stay in that one job for life if possible...because you cannot get rid of them. Or you will end up paying 2 weeks of salary for every year they are employed. Imagine getting "stuck" with a bunch of workers who cannot be fired except at substantial cost...so there is no incentive to increase performance or even to perform as expected/required for the job and this bogs down the business of the employer.

That is the labor issue! It is no wonder that many of businesses of major foreign investors import foreign workers to fill the most important and most highly paid positions in the company. You could not afford to do otherwise as the owner of a major business. In other words, these onerous labor laws only hurt Cape Verdeans!

Angelo

salaamnamaste wrote:

Dear Angelo,

In your post you have mentioned about "labor laws of Cape Verde", can you please provide me the link of documents/pdf files about the labor laws of Cape Verde which I can download and try to understand it.

Regards,
Salaam Namaste

Dear Angelo,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Hi CVAngelo,
came across this posting and I have read this from start to current page.

I don't know whether you are still active on this forum so just posting this to see whether i receive a response.

Thanks
Dx

Hi there. I am continously active on the Expat forum. If you check my profile, you'll see that my last post may have been just a few days ago.

You can also private message me directly.

I'm here to help.

Regards,

Angelo

DxCapeVerde wrote:

Hi CVAngelo,

I don't know whether you are still active on this forum so just posting this to see whether i receive a response.

Thanks
Dx

Many thanks for your reply. I will send you a private message shortly.

CVAngelo wrote:

Hi there. I am continously active on the Expat forum. If you check my profile, you'll see that my last post may have been just a few days ago.

You can also private message me directly.

I'm here to help.

Regards,

Angelo

DxCapeVerde wrote:

Hi CVAngelo,

Thanks
Dx

Hi, CVAngelo

I am looking for a place for my family to start a small business and do and "easy living". Would much appreciate if could answer couple of questions.
1) After opening a company - do you have obligations to hire local people or you can work only yourself/ family?
2) Does having a company give an option to stay in CV for a long term ( 6 months ) from visa perspective ( extension of VISA/ residence permit, etc )
3) Is kite/wind/surf school a good direction for the new business ? I can't get from internet idea how busy this market is already on island.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Hi there,

Happy to answer your questions. See below:

1) After opening a company - do you have obligations to hire local people or you can work only yourself/ family? There is no obligation to hire locals. You can hire only yourself and/or your family members, or anyone whom you choose.

2) Does having a company give an option to stay in CV for a long term ( 6 months ) from visa perspective ( extension of VISA/ residence permit, etc )? Yes, exactly. You can only obtain a long-term resident visa (6 to 12 months) if you have a valid purpose, such as running your own Cape Verdean business, for remaining in Cape Verde. After you have been a resident for 5 years, you can apply for permanent residency.

3) Is kite/wind/surf school a good direction for the new business ? I can't get from internet idea how busy this market is already on island. Yes, you are in the target zone. The best direction for a new business is the tourism sector, and you need to be looking at the island of Sal. Cape Verde will have nearly 800,000 tourist arrivals in 2018 (a 10% increase over 2017) and over half choose Sal. I have lots more data on tourism numbers for Sal including nationality of the tourists, etc. I also can help you figure out which types of tourism businesses are most likely to be promising for an entrepreneur.

You see, while tourism has been increasing about 10-15% in Cape Verde, tourism in Sal has been increasing even faster (15-20% annually! But the options for entertainment activities for the tourists has simply not kept up for two reasons: a) there are not enough potential investors like yourself who are aware of the huge opportunities in Sal; and b) starting a business, getting all the licenses and obtaining the "tourist investor" designation involves a lot of bureaucracy and language barriers ... so some of the potential investors get frustrated by the process. Thy simply have no one to help them so they abandon the opportunity.

But believe me, to start a business and get all your licenses as well as your tourism investor benefits (duty-free importation of your business equipment, and waiver of income taxes), it only takes 3-4 months once you know what you're doing, and if you can speak the local languages (Portuguese and Kriolu). Unfortunately, the government simply does not make it easy for investors, most of whom speak English, and the process is not properly documented. And even where they do publish information, it is very limited, hard to understand, and is all in Portuguese. I have benevr figured out why governments are so useless! LOL

There is only one other economic sector that presents an even bigger opportunity than tourism. And that is the maritime transport sector because Cape Verde is separated in 9 islands and all the goods must move between the islands by sea. And because most of the population is poor (per-capita income is only €3,000 per year), most of the locals travel by boat to go from one island to another. So the movement of goods and services is an opportunity that can generate huge revenues and profits. But of course it requires a bigger investment.

Hope this is helpful. If you have more detailed questions or need help with anything, just send me a private message.

Regards,

Angelo

Dearty wrote:

Hi, CVAngelo

I am looking for a place for my family to start a small business and do and "easy living". Would much appreciate if could answer couple of questions.
1) After opening a company - do you have obligations to hire local people or you can work only yourself/ family?
2) Does having a company give an option to stay in CV for a long term ( 6 months ) from visa perspective ( extension of VISA/ residence permit, etc )
3) Is kite/wind/surf school a good direction for the new business ? I can't get from internet idea how busy this market is already on island.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Many thanks Angelo. That's more info than I expected :). I think I need to come first as tourist and see on my eyes to take the decision. Will definitely contact you if some.
Thanks again.

Hi Dearty,

That's the way to do it. Spend a week in Sal and see for yourself. Most of the tourism businesses there are owned and operated by people just like you...they initially went to Sal as tourists and immediately saw the opportunities. Then they went back and invested.

Always happy to help. Best regards to you and your family..

Angelo

Dearty wrote:

Many thanks Angelo. That's more info than I expected :). I think I need to come first as tourist and see on my eyes to take the decision. Will definitely contact you if some.
Thanks again.

Hi expats,

There have been zero messages on this thread in the past THREE years!

For me it is the most exciting topic, because over the past 4 years tourism has DOUBLED in Cape Verde. This year, 2018, there will be over 800 thousand tourists which is up from 400 thousand in 2014. Just in Sal alone there will be 400 thousand visitors. And Boavista 200 thousand.

And the opportunities to start a very lucrative business have exploded. Why? Because, despite the huge growth in tourists, especially in Sal, the options available for entertainment and diversion outside the all-inclusive hotels have not increased at the same rate. So Sal is full of tourists looking for something interesting and fun to do.

Don't get me wrong. There are many investors who have come and started businesses. Almost all of them initially came as tourists themselves but returned later to invest after they saw the opportunity to offer a service to the thousands of other tourists who they knew would come after them. And Cape Verde has not disappointed in drawing ever increasing numbers of tourists.

I have helped several of them and I have studied the market and the trends. Here are some of the ideas that you can turn into a lucrative business in Sal targeting the 400.000 tourists:

*Bar/Coffee shop;
*Micro-brewery;
*Small ice-cream (Ben & Jerry's style)
*Small chocolate factory (like Giradelli's in San Fransisco);
*Restaurant;
*Duck-boat;
*Amusement park;
*Electric bike rentals;
*Restaurant (any cuisine);
*Quad bike rentals;
*Kite surfing;
*Jolly-Roger party cruises;
*Dive center;
*Themed getaways catering to small groups who are looking for something beyond the all-inclusive sun & sand formula.

You can probably invest between €50.000 to €150.000 and have a business that will generate a very significant income because their is just so much demand, and the supply is limited. There is still a lot of room in the tourism market.

Interestingly, the biggest business opportunity in Cape Verde is maritime transport. Being 10 islands separated by ocean, and since the typical Cape Verdean maritime operators have not been exposed to the business world outside Cape Verde and they have old boats that are always breaking down, so there is always a huge opportunity for foreign investors to bring a well-maintained, reliable and scheduled passenger vessel or a cargo vessel to help move goods and people between islands. Here are some examples of real needs in the maritime transport market:

*A 30 passenger vessel to connect Brava and Fogo (just 10 miles apart) - Brava is very beautiful but tourists and locals have a very difficult time moving between the two;
*A 50 passenger plus cargo vessel to connect Santiago and Maio (just 18 miles apart)
*A 300-400 ton cargo vessel to move goods between Santiago and Fogo (there are 40.000 consumers on Fogo who need products that are only available in Santiago, and Fogo also sends wine, coffee, cheese, fruits, vegetable, and fresh meat to Santiago). So there is huge trade between these two islands.

You can purchase used ships in Europe for under €150.000 and the maritime trade could generate many multiples of the amount spent for a small ship or passenger vessel.

Well, I thought I would share my observations of the market opportunities that have emerged over the past 5 years in cape Verde. Don't be afraid to look into it especially if you have that entrepreneurial spirit!

But if you don't have the entrepreneurial bug, you may simply want come to Sal or Boavista to live and work. You won't be disappointed either because with all the investment opportunities, the business owners are ALWAYS looking for capable people to help them build their business. If you have previous work experience in Europe and if you can speak multiple languages such as English, French, Spanish, or Italian, it would almost guarantee that you can land a good paying job. Imagine living and working is a tropical paradise.  It's hard to beat!

If you have questions about starting a business in Cape Verde or finding a job here, please post them! I would be happy to answer because there are lots of people who will visit the forum later with the exact same questions.

Cheers!

Angelo

Hello Angelo! I am 4 years too late it looks like, but I am hoping you are still active on this website. I have a few questions about starting my own business in Cape Verde.

Hi. I am still here and connected every day. LOL

Regards,

Angelo

ecardoso wrote:

Hello Angelo! I am 4 years too late it looks like, but I am hoping you are still active on this website. I have a few questions about starting my own business in Cape Verde.

Good evening

Would it be fair to say mobile catering/kiosk is not viable? I noticed in Sal there was only one in Santa Maria( Brazilian Bar next to Morabezza )? Or can you buy a small piece of land and have a food trailer on that?
I would be most grateful for your time.
Wendy:)

As you pointed out, it's all about location, location, location. The Brazilian Bar lucked out.

Of course you can purchase a piece of property and put a food trailer on it. You can get the licenses easily. But where would you buy this property? What kind of food would you offer - if it's an informal food trailer, tourists would probably expect local offerings or a more cultural experience. It's not just about setting up a food trailer. It's about putting it in the right spot and having a good culinary/entertainment offering along with friendly service.

I'm not sure I would do what you propose, although if it is small enough an investment, you won't have much to lose by trying. So it's not very risky. If it works, great! If it doesn't...oh well, try a different approach.

If you like the culinary/catering sector, I would suggest you consider an actual restaurant. What's not yet available in Santa Maria and would be a highly differentiated offer include:

* Teppenyaki restaurant & sushi bar (Japanese)
* Indian food (popular with the British who are 25% of the population)
* African restaurant (a mixture of local Cape Verdean and other African countries...this formula is already proven to be popular with the expat community and tourists in Santiago....look for Africafe Praia on Instagram...you will see the formula)

Also think about a micro-brewery, karaoke-bar, dinner theatre, coffee-bar (specializing only in coffees from Africa including CV...Africa has some amazing coffee). People want a culinary experience.

Hope this helps shape your thinking. Let me know how and if I can help you develop the business concept.

Regards,

Angelo

Babalou13 wrote:

Good evening

Would it be fair to say mobile catering/kiosk is not viable? I noticed in Sal there was only one in Santa Maria( Brazilian Bar next to Morabezza )? Or can you buy a small piece of land and have a food trailer on that?
I would be most grateful for your time.
Wendy:)

Hello Angelo,

Nice to meet you.
My husband and I have a great and strong project that we would like to start in CV, in Sal exactly.
How does that work to get a business loan over there?

Thank you for your help,

Hi Rominad,

The process is quite simple actually. First you will need a strong business plan that shows you've done all your homework/research about the market in Sal for your offerings and that the project is viable (that you can repay the bank its money).

You will also need to invest some of your own money. You should have at least 25% of the total Capex (capital expenditure) needed to startup the business.

In addition, you will need to have all of the business licenses and approvals obtained for the business and its operations.

Finally, you should be able to demonstrate to the local bank that you have good banking references in the country in which you now live.

Note that you do NOT have to have a CV residency visa to start a business, open a banking account for yourself or your business, or t take a loan. You can do everything with the tourism visa (just get it extended from 30 days to 90 days). But you will probably want to obtain a residency visa anyway, just for practical reasons.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to send me a private message.

Angelo

rominad wrote:

Hello Angelo,

Nice to meet you.
My husband and I have a great and strong project that we would like to start in CV, in Sal exactly.
How does that work to get a business loan over there?

Thank you for your help,

Hi CV Angelo,
Thank you immensely for the great work you are doing.
Can you send me your email for a personalized Information on doing business in CV.
Many thanks.
Obieke Confidence

You are welcome. I'm not comfortable posting my email address publicly. Just send me a private message.

Obieke wrote:

Hi CV Angelo,
Thank you immensely for the great work you are doing.
Can you send me your email for a personalized Information on doing business in CV.
Many thanks.
Obieke Confidence

Ciao Angelo

So i saw you talked about it one year ago or smth, and it is kinda of a silly question but i'm going to ask it anyway:
How about a bar/cafe in CV? In a nutshell how much will it cost to start the activity and make it running? 5k? 10k? 50k?
I don't know but it thought it would have been cheaper than in EU but by reading your posts i had the feeling that it is not like that, or am i wrong?

I am thinking a simple tourist oriented kiosk, with sandiwiches, beer, juices and so long and maybe add a bicile rent (or scooter) and an info point later.
I've work mostly as a chef and i am graduated at the University of Turin (Ita)

Regards :D

Hi Adel,

If you wish to discuss details, initially you will need to go to the private forum and send me a message there. Unfortunately, I do not give out either my email address or Whatsapp number to anyone, unless I know EXACTLY what you need. It is not too much to ask.

Regards,

Angelo

Hi Gpshgt,

I did not see your post for 3 months! Sorry, I just saw it today.

Yes a bar/café is an excellent idea only if you plan to do this where the majority of tourists are visiting. That is ether the islands of Sal or Boavista. It does not at all cost that much to start a business here. If you are renting the space, all it will cost is the equipment. For a bar/café you will find the equipment here. But you can also import if you want the best quality. It should not cost more than €20k to start a good bar or café if you are renting/leasing the space.

A kiosk with sandwiches, beer, juices and a bicycle/scooter rental could work. But you will have to meet ALL the food safety requirements of the Ministry of Health for the bar/café. There are no requirements for the bicycle/scooter rentals.

But you need to be aware that you will have competition. There are already several bar/café stands and shops (so you will need a differentiated offer) plus there are also many bicycle/scooter rentals. Have a lot on TripAdvisor. That way you will see what is already being offered in terms of bars, cafés, restaurants and also bicycle/scooter/quad rentals.

Regards,

Angelo

Gpshgt wrote:

Ciao Angelo

So i saw you talked about it one year ago or smth, and it is kinda of a silly question but i'm going to ask it anyway:
How about a bar/cafe in CV? In a nutshell how much will it cost to start the activity and make it running? 5k? 10k? 50k?
I don't know but it thought it would have been cheaper than in EU but by reading your posts i had the feeling that it is not like that, or am i wrong?

I am thinking a simple tourist oriented kiosk, with sandiwiches, beer, juices and so long and maybe add a bicile rent (or scooter) and an info point later.
I've work mostly as a chef and i am graduated at the University of Turin (Ita)

Regards :D

Please be kind enough to avoid posting contact details on the open forums. Thank you.

Hi,
Pls I need your advice as a Nigeria citizen moving to cape verde to work,how does it takes such person to survive in cape pls I want to knw more about praia cos that's my destination to be very soon..

Hello TemiTope,

Have you done your homework on Cape Verde? If you want to move to CV to work, you should first understand that Cape Verde is a tiny country of only half million people and more than half are under 22 years of age. So only half of the population is of working age. But since Cape Verde produces very little, there are no jobs. So in what kind of job do you expect to work? Second, Portuguese is the official language. Almost no one speaks English. So how will you find a job if you speak only English?

The answer is that you will not find any job in Cape Verde, with a local company. Because they will first hire a local resident. The only way you can work in CV is to find a job with a company and in a location where English is spoken. You will find this on the islands of Sal and Boavista, because that is where hundreds of thousands of English-speaking tourists go and there are a lot of foreign-owned companies and businesses serving these clients. That is where you will need to look for a job as an English-speaker. Or you can start your own company to provide services to tourists and Expats. You can read a lot more about how to live and work in CV in a helpful Guide that I wrote. There is a lot of details about making a living here as an English speaker.

Cheers,

Angelo

Temitope Thomas wrote:

Hi,
Pls I need your advice as a Nigeria citizen moving to cape verde to work,how does it takes such person to survive in cape pls I want to knw more about praia cos that's my destination to be very soon..

Dear Sir

We are interested to open a company for fishing industri, is something you do and what can you do?

You can contact me on my mail ***. and mobile ***

Regards

Magnus Nilsson

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey just message Angelo directly. Posting your deets on here is not the best method.
He will get back to you fairly quickly. No worries

Hi Magnus,

I had to wait for the administrators to remove your contact details from your post before I could respond directly. You should not publish your contact details on the forum as you might be contacted by people with ulterior motives who have no clue about how to help you with such matters.

Yes, I can certainly help you with the startup of a company in the CV fisheries industry. This includes actually helping with the purchase of fishing trawlers of any size, put in class and bring to Cape Verde, hiring qualified crew, obtain al local licenses, etc. Or if you are going to start a company/factory that processes fish for canning and export of canned fish or fish byproducts, then we can also help with helping obtain land in the industrial zones, register the company, obtain indutrial and import/export licenses, tax exemptions, etc, etc.

I am fully versed in most of the CV economic sectors regarding the nature and size of the opportunities in each as well as the practical matters of implementation of business projects in each sector.

Anyway, to make it as easy as possible to communicate about this, simply drop me a quick note via private message and we can exchange contact info there.

Best regards,

Angelo

Magnus nilsson wrote:

Dear Sir

We are interested to open a company for fishing industri, is something you do and what can you do?

You can contact me on my mail ***. and mobile ***

Regards

Magnus Nilsson

Good day CVAngelo,

First of all, many thanks for your advices in this thread.

First.
I am very interested to have a business at Sao Vicente island, exactly Mindelo, my favorite place in CV. The idea is to make service maintenance and troubleshooting of machinery at marine ships, with focus on electrical equipment and automation. In other words, to be a service engineer/troubleshooter for ships. Currently I am a seaman, electrical engineer officer on chemical tanker, and the above described is what I can do really good. Initially I plan to start to do this alone with my own tools/equipment. There is quite active ship's traffic in Porto Grande of Mindelo, so I think some of them sometimes needs qualified troubleshooter.

Second.

Another idea for business is much more prosaic: I have around 120 000 USD, and I can buy two one-bedroom apartments for tourist-oriented rent business in Mindelo.

And I also thinking about combination of these businesses.

The question is: what idea is looking more real in your opinion? My target is not generate huge money, but only provide humble life for me and my wife, and no more.

Many thanks in advance!

With the best regards
A Citizen of the World