Newbie looking for advice

Hi all

I am now thinking ahead regarding retirement, a few years yet but need to start planning. So my question is what is Cape Verde like to live?  Is it hard to find rental properties, areas etc I would like to learn and know it all. Thanks so much Nikki

Hi all
I am now thinking ahead regarding retirement, a few years yet but need to start planning. So my question is what is Cape Verde like to live?  Is it hard to find rental properties, areas etc I would like to learn and know it all. Thanks so much Nikki

-@nicolaedwards6666

Hi Nicola,

It's good that you're planning ahead and doing your research. What is Cape Verde like? It's a very tiny, poor country in Africa with a small population spread out among 9 inhabited islans. So yeah...it's nothing like what you are used to in the UK. We speak Portuguese here. Very little English is spoken. The government has very few resources and limited budgets to work with. Things that you are used to having at your finger tips or at your beck and call are often hard to find.

On the plus side, the weather is beautiful year round. Life is simple and basic. So if you want a slow pace and a natural relaxing environment and if you want to take a big step back from the unnecessary stresses of the developed countries, you could enjoy living here if you are willing to adapt.

On every island, EXCEPT Sal and Boavista, It is very easy to find a rental in a decent area and your can live well on a pension of £1,000 per month including the cost of an apartment, utilities, internet, food, weekly entertainment, and transport.

Sal and Boavista are the islands where all the tourists go plus there are too many European expats there so the cost of living is extremely high by comparison. I'd say it's at least 50% higher. Those islands are also extremely small with a local population of 5-10 thousand so they are almost devoid of the local culture. These two islands seem foreign, even to Cape Verdeans.

If you want to have access to all that Cape Verde has to offer, including the conveniences, I recommend the island of Santiago where half the population lives and you can choose the environment in which you want to live: city, suburb, beachside, rural. It's all here.

If you want a party-style environment with daily entertainment and late nights, then São Vicente is the island for you...though I don't recommend setting up your base there...rather than call it home, you can always visit that island for a hectic holiday and return to your home island for peace.

For more information about Cape Verde, there is an eGuide which you can consult. In addition, there is an eco-friendly, British enclave in a rural setting on the island of Santiago. I can put you in touch with some of the condo owners.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want more info.

Cheers,

Angelo

Hi Angelo

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate the information you have given me. As I said its something for the future but I just wanted to start research now. I am going to look at the different islands and hopefully plan a visit maybe next year.

That would be most helpful but I do not wish to waste their time, I will do some more research and maybe come back to you.

Thank you so much again

Nikki