Tourist visa and flight return date

I'm interested in getting a tourist visa for Brazil (from the US) that will have the initial 90 day limit. My ideal plans are to stay for approximately 168 days (continuous, one stay), assuming I can get the extension to cover this at the Federal Police in Brazil.

My questions:
-Knowing that I would like to stay approximately 168 days, is there any way to have this extension approved ahead of time in the USA?

-Does my return flight date (leaving Brazil, ideally 168 days after my arrival) need to be within the 90 day limit of the visa in order to get it issued in the US?

Thanks

Hello merkah,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question, your posting just slipped my attention.

You will need a return flight booking for the 90 day period of your initial stay, so you should purchase a ticket that allows modifications without too great of an extra charge. As far as I know the Policia Federal won't even accept an open-ended return ticket, it must specify a date for departure. To answer your other question, NO the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the USA will not authorize and extended stay, that is the jurisdiction of the Polícia Federal here in Brazil.

There is possibly a cheaper alternative if you have a visa for one of the neighboring Latin-American countries or are entitled to enter without a visa, using your passport alone. They don't require that your departing flight be back to your point of origin... just that you leave BRAZIL. So you could buy a "throw away" ticket (air or bus) to Argentina for example for 90 days from your proposed entry date to Brazil, this would be ok if you were certain of getting the extension from the Federal Police. This is usually done without any hassles so you're not really risking losing your return flight to home in any big way.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Cheers,

Thank you William

You have almost answered a question I would have posted.  I have now been back the GRU 3 times and waited over about 3 hours plus minus each time and got the names of people and phone no. (just rings).  Nobody speaks English at the Foreign desk at the Federal Police.  All I want is my passport stamped.  I have a ticket out of here on the 15th Dec, I arrived with my British Passport, but could I just go over to lets say next door and come back in with my SA passport.  I have a letter from my employer giving me the job, but they wanted me here asap so did not have the time to go down to London (was in Oxford) to get everything sorted, plus it was the weekend.  Oh and I have been trying to contact the SA Consulate in SP, but typical Saffies, nobody answers and then I get that this is an incorrect no.?????  Help before I get chucked into the sea and quite frankly I do not want to go back to Europe, would rather spend Xmas in SA believe it or not.

On another point, is there anybody out there that will help me find out about Jazz/Cuban/Salza music festivals.  One of my best friends, Sophia Nelson, she is on You Tube, would like to come here and perform.  She is based in Paris.  Will bring her band with her or alternative she is willing to work with a local group.

Your help would be appreciated.

melissa

Hi Melissa,

No, while you might be able to exit with one passport and re-enter with another it is a very risky proposition which can get you in a lot of legal troubles.

You also might end up stuck in the other country and not be able to get back into Brazil.

The situation merkah is asking about and what you propose are two completely different things... the TICKET you must present on entry to Brazil, and how to try and get around the calculation of a stay or limit of the stay. Essentially trying to violate immigrations rules.

In your case none of that applies anyway since YOU CAN'T LEGALLY WORK IN BRAZIL ON A TOURIST VISA. What you need is to transform your visa from VITUR Tourist Visa to VITEM-V Temporary Work Visa.

In now way was I suggesting to merkah that he should exit Brazil and return using another passport, that was clearly not what was said. What I said is that he didn't need to show a return ticket for his original destination, but only one OUT OF BRAZIL and I told him it would be simply a "throw away" ticket.

If you entered on one passport you need to get it extended, that's the proper way of doing things. What your problem is, and I tell the same thing to everybody... NEVER GO TO THE FEDERAL POLICE WITHOUT SOMEBODY WHO SPEAKS PORTUGUESE FLUENTLY. The extension of visas is without a doubt the least bureaucratic thing that you can do with the Federal Police, but they have to be able to understand what the heck it is that you want.

Cheers,