Dish TV

For very basic net add $45 or so.  For high speed we pay $95.  With them it is always a bit cheaper if you pay in pesos.

Bob K

Hi Bob, My name is Sue I am new, we just moved to Cabrera is there anyone around here to install Dish, we had Dish in the states.We have a Roku but cannot get local channels

What about Denise? You said that she is very helpfulMay need a local on the contract. BobK will know the answer.

so I am assuming to get dish set up you said it cost $3000 just for set up. We cannot afford that. So does local cable (claro) have any English station or can you change Tv to English.

You should be able to get a cable package with English stations or be able to covert many Spanish ones to English.
Dish is expensive to set up and very expensive every month. That is why we no longer have it but have basic local cable (de Lancer) and use a firestick for most of our programs.

Bob K

OK - I was following this nicely but I have to ask, what is a firestick, what does it do and is it available here in the DR?

It is called an AMazon fire stick.  Plugs into your TV and works with high speed internet.  You can hook up to the major stations (some have a small fee) and things like HULU, Netflix and such.
Here is one link to it and you can buy them almost at any electronic store  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDKK?ta … jk6xf98y_e
Bob K

We have Roku stick and I programmed in the states before we left

Thanks Bob - will look for one when I go to Ottawa next month....sounds like something worth having!

It will also travel with you  as long as you have internet access. We take ours with us when we travel back to the states as well (usually camping in an RV in the states)

Bob K

I get regular TV thru the internet. I have a Roku TV. I get Directv Now, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and a free computer App called KODI, and another called UKTV. Directv Now has live television. I split the cost of these with my Ex in the United states. Directv has practically every channel you would need to watch TV. For all except Netflix to work in the DR, you will need a private VPN service which costs about 100 dollars a year. It gives you an IP address in any major city in the United states you want. I get the local Los Angeles news, because my jobs are located in Southern California. 
If you have a problem getting Dish I would definitely recommend Directv Now.

hey bob k doing a sports bar in juan dolio beach. can i get directv us or dish network what are your recommendations

Hi, where in Juan Dolio? We lived there for a while in Marbella Towers. Left in February for north shore. Are more places opening up in "new" Juan Dolio? Thanks!

Welcome tattoodave, Bob is away so may not answer for a bit.

I am sure someone else will jump in!

hey julian what private vpn service do you use

JulianTorrez wrote:

I get regular TV thru the internet. I have a Roku TV. I get Directv Now, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and a free computer App called KODI, and another called UKTV. Directv Now has live television. I split the cost of these with my Ex in the United states. Directv has practically every channel you would need to watch TV. For all except Netflix to work in the DR, you will need a private VPN service which costs about 100 dollars a year. It gives you an IP address in any major city in the United states you want. I get the local Los Angeles news, because my jobs are located in Southern California. 
If you have a problem getting Dish I would definitely recommend Directv Now.

Julian,

I just got Hulu live TV that I run with Roku and also a Firestick.  You mentioned for all to work in the DR I would need a private VPN service.  I don't understand private VPN or how they work.  Could you please explain why I would need this in the DR and how to set it up?

Thanks
El Capitan

I also use Firestick but a number on programs will not run because we're outside the us. My research indicates that the problem will be solved with a VPN announced with the router. I just don't know anyone in Sousa area that can help me set this up. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Thanks!

Sorry   meant " associated with the router ".😀

I have a friend in Sosua and will ask if he knows how to do this.

I just checked and this he does not know how to set up. Sorry I can't help!